Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
They say that it's just about time for the big. And when it hits it''s going take Ca, right off the map
Don't forget about all those volcanoes running along the Pacific coast - Mt St Helen's has been urping lava a bit at at time for quite awhile now. And don't forget that supervolcano that Yellowstone Park sits in the caldera of. It's been shifting and shuffling for years now. One of these days it's gonna pop.

It's interesting in a morbid way. If you've ever flown from Seattle to southern CA on a clear day, you can see the volcanoes, one after another. As soon as one vanishes behind, another one pops up ahead. They run a long, long way, they do, and I'd bet if a big enough quake hit, some of them would become active instead of dormant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
I'd be surprised if one didn't erupt, and if one didn't, just give it alittle time.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM

160 posts, read 975,555 times
Can't remember, mfarnam, what part of california you are from. But, the 15 freeway in southern cali was apparently constructed on top of the san adreas fault.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 AM

I lived east of San Bernardino. afew blocks from the new I-210 freeway where it connects to the I-30. It was comleted 2 months after I left.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
If you've ever flown from Seattle to southern CA on a clear day, you can see the volcanoes, one after another..
On a Clear day... http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link) Now that's funny...

Actually I have done that... I happened to be living in Seattle when St. Helens blew. Flew back to the Central Valley a couple of months later when it was still spewing smoke and ash... spooky, but incredible sight.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
On a Clear day... http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link) Now that's funny...

Actually I have done that... I happened to be living in Seattle when St. Helens blew. Flew back to the Central Valley a couple of months later when it was still spewing smoke and ash... spooky, but incredible sight.
And just how many clear days did you see in Seattle? Hmm? It was about 15 years later, I think, when I flew south that way, and St Helens still looked like it had happened the day before. Clean white snow covering all the ash. Still spooky.

A few years later I was in Seattle for a conference when Augustine [I think that's the one] blew in Alaska. Took a few days for the ash to settle down enough for planes to start flying north again, and I was on one of the first ones. Instead of a 3 hour flight directly to Anchorage, it took over 5 hours, swinging a bit east and following the Alcan up to Fairbanks, then heading back south to Anchorage from there. It was one of the fastest landings I've ever been in - come in steep and hard and slam on the brakes. Once the plane stopped, they sent a little electric baggage cart out to tow it to the terminal so there wouldn't be any ash blowing from the prop wash. And the passengers all cheered and clapped for the captain!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
I would really think about it. I moved from a suburb of Chicago 2 yrs ago and while i am glad i got away form that particular place OK was NOT the place to come. I live in western OK adn am getting the heck out of here as soon as I can. There is nothing here and the quality of life is not great. I don't feel like the people really care about much, and every day is just another day. Yes, it is cheaper here, but cheaper is not better. Out here the people are not nice and they do not want newcomers. Business is done on a one horse basis, and the property is a lot easier to buy than it is to sell. Ponca City is a little bigger I have been there many times. They get a lot of bad weather. After CA you won't like that part at all. Please really check out all your options before relocationg in OK. Sorry to sound so negative but this is how I feel after 2 yrs. I own 142 acres and a beautiful home which i have an apprasail for but the banks won't honor it because they remember when everything was for nothing. I am trying to sell and go where they are a little farther onto the 21st century. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is beautiful.. By the way this is the only place I ever lived besides where I was raised, How very disappointing

Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
No need to apologize, cfindley, that is a great post and people need to hear it more often. Western Oklahoma is night and day from Chicago and the rest of the world in more ways than one.

I have often wondered why anyone would want to move to OK without some roots here. And I am sure there are a few others here on CDF who have moved someplace only to regret it. I know I have read a couple of posts from TX who moved there from CA.

As for people not caring much, I guess that depends on the circumstances and I would not generalize about Oklahomans in that manner. I know far too many Okies who are great people.... even folks from western OK!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Moving from a large urban environment to the relative emptiness of rural Oklahoma would definitely be a shock.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 PM

It's called a "Culture shock" I'm still going through it. It is hard when all if your friends are left behind, so far the only friends I've made is here on this forum, and it's been 8 months now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma