U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,327 times

Advertisements

I have been given an opportunity to move to Heavener for work, or i can relocate to another city in Texas (Burkburnett). If i decline either i will be jobless. I currently live in Texas and have visited OK and Heavener several times. I love this state but am afraid to make a big move like this which is something i've never done before. Just seeing what current folks from OK would say about living/moving to their state and their town of Heavener.....or should i just stay in Texas? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM

4,033 posts, read 10,176,663 times
I'm a Texan living in Oklahoma. Been here for over 6 years and I really like it. I do not know anything about the town of Heavener. I've never even heard of it, but I have been to Burburnett, TX. Not a fan of that part of TX at all. I looked up Heavener on a map, and at least it's in a pretty part of world. Can't say that for Burkburnett.

You don't give us any info about yourself or what you are looking for in a place to live so I will just give you some general advice. Moving to Oklahoma is no big deal, unless you make it one. I really don't see much difference. I mean really, its not like moving to another country or something.

If you decide to move here come with an open mind and leave all Texas attitudes back in Texas. The last thing the good people of Oklahoma want to hear is how wonderful Texas is. While Texans may think Texas is heaven on earth, Oklahomans feel the same way about this state. Be respectful of that. I'm not saying you shouldn't be proud of where you come from, or try to hide the fact you're a Texan, but just don't come here and start saying stuff like "back home in Texas we do it this way". They do not care how things are done in Texas. I totally get the Texas pride, but also completely understand why most people in other states are not. We can be a little obnoxious sometimes.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM

7,776 posts, read 11,583,976 times
I'm a born and bred Oklahoman, although, formally educated and well traveled. Heavener may be a good place, although, it's a very small town in the middle of nowhere. Eastern Oklahoma is the poorest part of this state. Burkburnett TX is close to Wichita Falls and while greenery may not be everywhere, there are wide open spaces. I would move to Burkburnett and not look back.

So far as what most Oklahomans would say about Heavener, I think the majority would say, Heavener? Where is Heavener? I'm sure most of those who live there are fine folks, but, they might not be so sure that you are.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 PM

778 posts, read 2,193,510 times
I'm very familiar with Burkburnett. My dad was stationed at Sheppard AFB back in the 90's. We lived on the north side of Wichita Falls and went to grade school in Burkburnett (or "Burk" as we called it). Burk is a typical small Texas town, with a significant air force/commuter population. Not really a lot to do though. Our family made the best of it, but we found the Wichita Falls area to be pretty stagnant. I remember how happy I was moving out of there. Speaking of, that metro was the only one in TX to lose population, if that tells you anything. Oh, and it gets HOT.

I've never been to Heavener, but I've been to Poteau. I can't really say it would be a dramatic improvement in the "things to do" department, even though you are close to Ft. Smith. It is in a very pretty setting however. Very close to Beavers Bend, Winding Stair Mts., Oauchita Natl Forest, etc. It is somewhat impoverished. Also SE Oklahoma is kind of its own culture, very "wild wild west."

Ultimately it will depend on what you're personally looking for in a community.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM

61 posts, read 158,227 times
I moved to Oklahoma earlier this month, ~45 mins from Heavener for a job. There are tons of small towns in the area, and Fort Smith AR (a medium size town) right across state lines that is less than an hour drive. I don't know about Heavener specifically, but so far the rest of the county, it seems like most of the people who live here are from here, this is where all their family lives, ect. However they have been welcoming to me as an outsider, and tolerant of my "accent"! As others mentioned, there is a lot of poverty in LeFlore county. As far as I have found rentals are surprisingly expensive, given the cheap cost of property for sale (My theory is this is because there are less rentals in the area and a supply/ demand mismatch), but I think Heavener had some of the cheaper rentals I saw online. I believe Heavener has a large (relatively) hispanic population, mainly employed as farm workers.

One thing I have found about this area of the country is there is not a lot of information available online. About anything. From finding a place to rent to things to do, most of it is by word of mouth and a lot of foot work, driving around towns looking for signs and different places.

If you love Texas, why are you considering moving here, if you also have a job offer in another Texas town? What are you looking for in a place to live, besides the job?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM

14,314 posts, read 10,340,042 times
If your job is in Heavener you can easiily commute frrom Poteau which has more amenities and is a little closer to Ft. Smith. There really isn't much in Heavener itself but it is closer to the mountains than Poteau.

Burkburnett is closer to Wichita Falls and is more easily accessible to it than Poteau/Heavener is to Ft Smith but WF and Ft. Smith are about the same as far as amenities.

If you are an outdoors person I would strongly consider Heavener as hiking, mt biking, horse riding, deer hunting, rafting, fishing, fourwheeling, canoeing is absolutely first rate. And I'd say that area of Oklahoma/Arkansas is really pretty country while Burkburnett is mostly mesquite.

One thing you must consider though is that Oklahoma has a 5-6% state income tax that Texas doesn't have.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,979,270 times
I've never seen it, but I've always been intrigued by the Heavener Runestone (even if it may well be just a sham) :

Heavener Runestone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM

642 posts, read 1,661,535 times
If it meant job or no job.. food on the table, verses go hungry? .. Heavener for sure. I've been there several times, I've known a few folks in that vicinity. Most people are pretty nice but as most small towns in Oklahoma.. and these days for that matter most small towns anywhere.. its a bit cliquish. Other posters are correct when saying there is alot of poverty in that county.. unemployment rates are near 9.5%, so be aware of that. Also the drug and alcohol problem is amongst the worst per capita in the state.. the meth problem is still an issue but law enforcement is doing their best to keep on top of it. Don't go hiking around outside of town except at state or local parks.. from what I'm told.. lots of pot farms up there and those people tend to shoot first and ask questions later. The plus sides... it is a beautiful area.. much, much greener than Burkburnett, you have the Ouachita Mountains and the Ozarks at your back door, The Tahlihina Skyline Drive is close to there too. Overall, I'd say give it a shot. I also strongly recommend renting before buying. Hope it works out.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,427,929 times
Like Rubi3, I am a born and bred Oklahoman. I have been through Heavener several times. As other posters have written, it is a beautiful area. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Rocky is right; it's a high poverty area, and it seems quite depressed to me.

I live in southwestern Oklahoma about thirty-six miles from the Texas border. I go to Wichita Falls frequently and just up the road from Wichita Falls is Burkburnett. Granted, the area is not near as lush and green as the Heavener area, but there is just so much more to do. Now, that's important to my husband and me because we are retired and have lots of time to do things, so we're always on the lookout for those things.

If I were you, I would choose Burkburnett simply for the fact that there is more to do in the area. If Burk doesn't have all you're looking for, you could go to Wichita Falls or drive up the turnpike to Lawton, Oklahoma, for some activities (perhaps visit the Wichita Mountains if you like outdoor stuff). Either way, I would choose Burkburnett over Heavener any day of the week.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM

374 posts, read 754,074 times
Heavener is in a very beautiful part of Oklahoma. It's a small town nestled in the Ouachita Mountain(which I find to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet.) The culture will be very similar to East Texas or Northern Louisiana. If that is something you can handle, I say make the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>