Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,870 times

Advertisements

It sure sounds good to me !! Thanks Gods Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcustomairbrush View Post
I will soon be moving to Wilburton, Ok. and from what I say I'm sure I will love living there. It reminds in of home ( Aiken, Sc) But the hills are bigger. I could have moved anywhere in the USA but I feel that Wilburton, Ok will be the best place for my family.

I think you will really like living in Wilberton, but how did you find Wilberton? It is really off the beaten path.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Maybe being able to find this thread is indicative of a finding type skill. LOL Before today, the last post was March 2013.

When I was growing up, my family made regular trips to Arkansas and one town we drove through was Wilburton and my knowledge of it is limited to that and knowing my son's best friend practiced law in Wilburton for years, but recently moved.

I hope no one needs to repeat all the insults posted prior to today in this thread.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Different Stories For Different Folks

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
A lot of Fresnans have never gone to Yosemite. I lived there nearly a decade and only went there once. But that was always the argument everyone tried to give when they wanted to say that Fresno wasn't so bad..."You're only an hour away from Yosemite, etc...] Not even the most diehard Fresno booster could come up with a good thing about Fresno itself, they could only say it was close to Yosemite.

And yes it's only 65-70 miles away, but is like a world away as far as climate, air, etc. That whole area has the worst air in the entire country. I don't miss that a bit. The crime is not as bad as in Tulsa/OKC, but Fresno has a smaller-town vibe to it that makes crime seem more prevalent than it is. Fresno probably has more in common with some place like Enid or Lawton than it does Tulsa or OKC, although those two cities probably have a little more going on economically than Fresno.
I live in the Northern San Francisco Bay Area and know people who have been to Yosemite National
Park 6 to 12 times , myself I been once and can't understand why you only went ONCE...

The Bay Area is 200 Miles Away From Yosemite National Park .... and what about the tallest
Mountains in America outside of Alaska ?......

And Nightlife in Fresno not being up to Stuff compared to Tulsa And OKC , well judge for
yourself.

The cities of the Central Valley has nothing in common with Lawton and Enid here's some
nightlife listed below.

Saroyan Theater
Saroyan Theater Tickets - Selland Arena - Saroyan Theatre

Save Mart Center Fresno University National Ranked Sports And Entainment
Save Mart Center - Calendar Events list on January 2015

Live Entainment Venues
Live music venues Fresno, CA

http://www.songkick.com/metro_areas/23682-us-fresno

I wish that I would have paid more attention to this thread because there's some misinformation
thrown around here. The Air Near Fresno in the Mountains and foothills aren't that bad

Last edited by Howest2008; 10-17-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM

78 posts, read 120,987 times
Quote:
I will soon be moving to Wilburton, Ok. and from what I say I'm sure I will love living there. It reminds in of home ( Aiken, Sc) But the hills are bigger. I could have moved anywhere in the USA but I feel that Wilburton, Ok will be the best place for my family.
congratulations on the decision, hope you and your family enjoy it.

I passed threw one time on my way to Robbers Cave. It's a beautiful part of the state. Did you previously visit the town or have family there or something? Because I'll be honest, if it wasn't for that random trip I took to Robbers Cave, I wouldn't have even known that there was a town called Wilburton.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I had talked to my friends who suggested I consider Oklahoma, but living in Riverside I hadn't seen real air for a long time. We got here and I realized I could breath freely. And I couldn't *see* the air. To this day I LOVE that the sky is blue and you can't see the air or smell it. What good is it living where you can hop on a bus and go anywhere if its hard to make it to the bus stop. I used to actually live a quarter mile from the beach and nobody could ever convince me to be that close to ocean. We were fogged in nightly from about six to eight or nine in the morning all winter. I like my air less damp. Even the so called paradises have a cost you may not know of.

If I was going to live in California, it would be north, in the cascades area, in a small town that runs along one of the highways by Lassen. It was awesome. I'd still like to go back and see it again. Socal, er, not so much.
I am not a big fan of Southern California, either, and I grew up there and currently live there. I just turned 40, and I am itching to move out of state and start a new life. Although California has many beautiful areas and has a lot to offer, I am ready to say 'goodbye' to California and explore other areas. I'm tired of the traffic, urban sprawl, smog, and high cost of living. I'm also tired of our endless summers here, preferring to relocate to an area that has four distinct seasons.

I used to spend every summer as a teenager in LeFlore County, Oklahoma ( near Poteau), and I loved the open country, laid-back lifestyle, and friendly people. I've always toyed with the idea of relocating there. I'm not sure what I'd do for work though. My sister lives in Tulsa, and she loves it. But I would prefer a smaller town.
I am single and childless, so relocating would be 'relatively' easy.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Is it big enough to have a Wal-Mart?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:53 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Is it big enough to have a Wal-Mart?
No, but Poteau and McAlester are not terribly far away. Went to college in Wilburton. Nice little burg. Kind of poor and not exactly a trendy place but very pretty area. Nice people.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,870 times
I found the house I wanted on the Internet and it was in Wilburton.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
No, but Poteau and McAlester are not terribly far away. Went to college in Wilburton. Nice little burg. Kind of poor and not exactly a trendy place but very pretty area. Nice people.
I've been so spoiled from living most of my life in Stillwater, I wouldn't want to try to handle living in such a tiny town. For starters, where is Best Buy? Where is a big 'ol super Wal-Mart? Where is Lowe's? Where is Big Lots? Where is Belk? Where is the Texas Roadhouse? Where is the Red Lobster? And the freedom to order a margarita with my dinner in one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, or any other favorite restaurant on Sunday and every other day of the week. Is liquor by the drink even legal in the county Wilburton is in?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-01-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma