Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
This is the typical post from the Tulsa or OKC native that has never ventured out of their little enclave. Thanks for lumping us in with North freakin Dakota -as if that is anything like OK

I don expect you to know where in OK this is

Oklahoma has some beautiful areas especially in the southeast part of the state. However, as pretty as these areas are, you can't ski them and the areas don't cater to the more cosmopolitan set. Finally, they are pretty remote from the areas where people can actually live and work. And as beautiful as those areas in SE Oklahoma are, they aren't the Rockies or the Sierra's.

I've lived in Wilburton and Poteau both. the reason I lumped us in with North Dakota is because were are in a stack of States which are the great plains. Every state to the west of this "stack" has been Californicated to some degree. None of the states in the "stack" have been.

The type of people that are moving to those other states are moving there because of the natural beauty, the weather, skiing and a more cosmopolitan mindset. You can bet your sweet bippy that if you could snow ski in the Ouachita's we would have some of that. As it is, those people aren't intrigued by huntin' and fishin' and horse ridin' and BYOB.

As BChris mentioned. This did happen in NW Arkansas but mostly because of Walmart and the University of Arkansas providing a solid base for transient growth.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-19-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Oklahoma has some beautiful areas especially in the southeast part of the state. However, as pretty as these areas are, you can't ski them and the areas don't cater to the more cosmopolitan set. Finally, they are pretty remote from the areas where people can actually live and work.

I've lived in Wilburton and Poteau both. the reason I lumped us in with North Dakota is because were are in a stack of States which are the great plains. Every state to the west of this "stack" has been Californicated to some degree.
again. let us review where the Great Plains are situated, shall we?

Please stop feeding the stereotype that most of Oklahoma is flat and desolate. And what do states west of this have to do with your assertion that we are somehow N Dakota?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Please stop feeding the stereotype that most of Oklahoma is flat and desolate. And what do states west of this have to do with your assertion that we are somehow N Dakota?
Central Great Plains

The Central Great Plains, Oklahoma's largest ecoregion, encompasses most of the western half of the Sooner State from north to south.

http://www.travelok.com/article_page...erseecoregions

Once again. Californians are moving to: New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana in significant numbers.

Californians are not moving to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota in significant numbers.

These two "stacks" of states share a border from Texas to the Canadian border.

One stack of states is different than the other. One has the Rockies while the others are considered part of the great plains. (Your map is wrong by the way it doesn't classify Oklahoma at all). Oklahoma has around 12 ecoregions give or take one and has as many ecoregions in the country as any other state with the exception of California and Texas.

Never once in this thread have I said Oklahoma was "flat and desolate". I said "plain jane" because that is how all the liberal Californians and a lot of conservative Californians PERCEIVE our state. Our state is diverse and has a lot of beauty but you can't go to a fancy restaurant in Talihina and get a latte or a glass of wine with your Steak Tartar. You can get that in Sante Fe, or Aspen, or Jackson, or Missoula.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-19-2013 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Central Great Plains

The Central Great Plains, Oklahoma's largest ecoregion, encompasses most of the western half of the Sooner State from north to south.

Oklahoma's Diverse Ecoregions | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site
yeah, travel OK is not an official source for where the plains begin. I can provide countless geographical maps on where the plains are situated. The plains of Northwestern Oklahoma are considered the southern plains, not central plains. Most of western Oklahoma is what is called rose bed farmland. It's not quite forest, but not quite plains. Central Oklahoma is situated in an area called the cross timbers -the beginning of the eastern woodlands.

By the way: the brown area beginning in the Texas panhandle westward into eastern NM is the Great plains.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
yeah, travel OK is not a an official source for where the plains begin. I can provide countless geographical maps on where the plains are situated. The plains iof Northwestern Oklahoma are considered the southern plains, not central plains. Most of western Oklahoma is what is called rose bed farmland. It's not quite forest, but not quite plains. Central Oklahoma is situated in an area called the cross timbers -the beginning of the eastern woodlands.
Western Ecology Division | US EPA

Will this make you happy?

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fa...ecoregions.htm

Here this is a better map:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/c...ps/okeco3.html

Again, if you and others want to consider western Oklahoma something else then that's fine by me. This whole argument revolves around the appeal of Oklahoma to non conservative types. By the way, I am working in western Oklahoma now so I can pretty much fill you in on what it's like out here (in Clinton today), tomorrow Cordell, Hobart, Snyder, Altus. I've probably been to or through every town of any size in western at least 3-4 times in the last couple of years. As you stated, a lot of it is not flat. Even the eastern half of the panhandle isn't flat.

Last edited by eddie gein; 02-19-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
No it will not make me happy because you are wrong. You can clearly see that the map is correct from the satellite image. I majored in Geography and have surveyed Oklahoma landscape for 30 years. Most of Oklahoma is not part of the Great Plains...period.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Quote:
LOL so in other words you couldn't cut it at home and left. You are a reverse Okie. You may be stuck here for a long long while. California is under one party rule and the Democrats have run that place into the ground. It will only continue to get worse.
Not at all. I chose not to look for work there because I didn't want to stay. I made it on my own just fine for years there... and in Europe... and in East Asia. You, on the other hand, seem to not be able to make it anywhere but here. I, however, will be at an interview in Chicago later this week with a big smile on my face

I'm sorry if you're so insecure about your Okie heritage that you have to bash California, but it's not the gloom and doom conservatives like to buy into so much. Of course it has its problems, but so do every city, state, province, special administrative region, protectorate, colony, nation, tribal land, jurisdiction, disputed territory and whatever other political boundaries you can think of. Oklahoma is also under "one party rule" and you have to be blind (or oblivious) to not see the abundant problems here. If attitudes like yours prevail, then you'll find Oklahoma in the trash heap of states, as you'll keep out the people who could enrich the state. But hey... who cares as long as you have your precious pride in Oklahoma?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
No it will not make me happy because you are wrong. You can clearly see that the map is correct from the satellite image. I majored in Geography and have surveyed Oklahoma landscape for 30 years. Most of Oklahoma is not part of the Great Plains...period.
Ok, is the State of Oklahoma a legitimate resource for you?

Oklahoma Office of the Secretary of Environment: Land

Can you link your map. I'd like to see it.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM

168 posts, read 335,662 times
Quote:

Wow what is with all the hate for North Dakota in this thread? Especially when we have a lot of the same values...

You know for not wanting liberals to move to your state along with changing your state maybe you should reconsider your stance on your state being flat and desolate? I am sure many from California consider your state flat compared to their Sierra Nevada Mountains, I am also sure they consider Oklahoma desolate comapred to their state.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
I majored in Geography and have surveyed Oklahoma landscape for 30 years. Most of Oklahoma is not part of the Great Plains...period.
Just curious, what school did you major in Geography?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma