Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM

374 posts, read 802,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I just saw this posted on Facebook.

It's no wonder young, educated professionals are fleeing this state for Texas. Texas is also a red state but its a bit more moderate than Oklahoma and more welcoming to people from all walks of life, at least in the cities. The ironic thing is "love and believe in freedom" will send it on...a right wing police state isn't freedom anymore than a leftist communist state is. 5 years in prison for smoking a joint? That is ridiculous. Can't buy beer cold or past 9PM? That is equally ridiculous.

It is my belief that leaning a particular direction politically is great but too far on either extreme is not good. New York and Oregon are on the left what Oklahoma is on the right.
Why are you here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And this is why JohnSpecial need not worry about Libs moving here in overwhelming numbers.

The irony to me is that this type of legislation would probably be attractive to people who might be interested in moving a factory to Oklahoma, however as you stated, for high tech type of growth it's the exact wrong formula.
Agreed. Low cost of living can only carry a place so far. OKC would need to be a place people would want to move for reasons other than as a last resort, which right now it is not. Oklahoma doesn't have to become anything close to a liberal paradise in order to attract the young and educated. Texas gets the conservatism thing right in my opinion. Same principles are promoted but it isn't quite as in-your-face as it is in Oklahoma.

Despite all the improvements, OKC probably has the least amenities for a city its size in the entire USA. There are many contributing factors but the largest factor is the extreme conservatism.

Diversity benefits everyone, even those on the right side of the political spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Why are you here?
Family mostly. The economy also.

I really liked living in Charlotte, North Carolina, which is just a tad larger than OKC but had far more amenities and was very beautiful. It was more transient also and due to my personality and upbringing I find it far easier to fit in in transient places than I do places where everyone went to the same school from K-12. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing so well there due to the economy and I really had to weigh whether I would rather live somewhere I loved and only see my family once per year or live somewhere only tolerable like OKC but see them often.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,494,168 times
The post from Facebook was wrong. Who gets 5 years in prison for just smoking a joint in Oklahoma? However, if you're caught selling marijuana and are not white, your risk for going to prison is higher, even for a first time charge. At the state capitol, they're trying to reduce the second possession of marijuana charge from a felony to a misdemeanor.

In Oklahoma, you can buy beer cold and after 9pm until 2am. The alcohol laws in Oklahoma are not as varied and confusing as they are in Texas. The beer in Texas may be a little stronger, but I bet the price charged for it is noticeably higher than in Oklahoma.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,168,909 times
Quote:
I'm also pretty sure that like California, Oklahoma is not defined by one terrain by the people who have spent time in OK. I'm pretty sure of that being raised here. I'm also pretty sure that those people in CA tbat are comparing out state to one mountain range have little knowledge of Oklahoma's terrain. Oklahoma is nothing like north Dakota. Culturally or geographically. I'm sorry.
There is always a thread on the California forum which eventually gets closed where the cheerleaders have to question anything even marginal about posts about the state. And those who moved get accused of being disloyal and then there is why are they still reading the forum. I haven't read all the states, but I'll bet there is such a thread and such a cheering section in every state. What it comes down to is you can move from a state and not hate it, just want to move. And that there are those who just don't get that and need to bash just so they feel victorious.

I haven't seen enough of Oklahoma yet, but find it a very attractive state. One of the most attractive things is there is really grassy places and tree covered places and just empty places without a single road, house or strip mall. I've been to norcal and the trees up there are beautiful and huge and it was lovely, but no more or less lovely than a rolling set of hills here with grass and trees and solitude.

At least I haven't seen the claim that you can go to the ocean to the mountains in a day in this thread. Maybe with a helicopter. Nobody thinks about traffic.

One thing for sure. Compared to LA and socal in general, Oklahoma HAS no traffic problems.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM

168 posts, read 334,144 times
Quote:
Oklahoma is nothing like north Dakota. Culturally or geographically.
I think you just have a bias against the plains for some odd reason considering some of your other posts regarding the plains. Considering I have lived in both states I believe they are culturally and geographically more similar than you think.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,444,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
I think you just have a bias against the plains for some odd reason considering some of your other posts regarding the plains. Considering I have lived in both states I believe they are culturally and geographically more similar than you think.
Sure, there could be some topographical similarities as Oklahoma is one of the most geographically diverse states in the Union.

As far as culture goes, he is right. Oklahoma shares no cultural affinity with North Dakota.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 PM

168 posts, read 334,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

As far as culture goes, he is right. Oklahoma shares no cultural affinity with North Dakota.
Ok I will take your word for it, maybe it was because I was living at Fort Sill.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,444,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
Ok I will take your word for it, maybe it was because I was living at Fort Sill.
Gotcha.

BTW, thank you for serving in our military!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The post from Facebook was wrong. Who gets 5 years in prison for just smoking a joint in Oklahoma? However, if you're caught selling marijuana and are not white, your risk for going to prison is higher, even for a first time charge. At the state capitol, they're trying to reduce the second possession of marijuana charge from a felony to a misdemeanor.

In Oklahoma, you can buy beer cold and after 9pm until 2am. The alcohol laws in Oklahoma are not as varied and confusing as they are in Texas. The beer in Texas may be a little stronger, but I bet the price charged for it is noticeably higher than in Oklahoma.
I wouldn't have a problem with 3.2 beer except for the fact it tastes watered down. It doesn't matter much if you drink the mass-produced American brands like Bud and Coors but when it comes to microbrews and imports you can really taste the difference. It's like the difference between diet soda and real soda.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,230,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I just saw this posted on Facebook.

It's no wonder young, educated professionals are fleeing this state for Texas. Texas is also a red state but its a bit more moderate than Oklahoma and more welcoming to people from all walks of life, at least in the cities. The ironic thing is "love and believe in freedom" will send it on...a right wing police state isn't freedom anymore than a leftist communist state is. 5 years in prison for smoking a joint? That is ridiculous. Can't buy beer cold or past 9PM? That is equally ridiculous.

It is my belief that leaning a particular direction politically is great but too far on either extreme is not good. New York and Oregon are on the left what Oklahoma is on the right.
This reminds me so much of a news story I saw a few years back on one of the Tulsa TV stations.

It seems Conoco/Phillips was trying to get some of their IT employees to transfer to Bartlesville, most of these employees were single in their 20s, and didn't want to transfer from Houston to Bartlesville. So some of these church folks decided to have a party for these young single 20 somethings every saturday night to show these hipsters that Bartlesville is not really that boring.

These church folks had to be at least in their 70s and 80s. They made all kinds cookies, cakes, punch and soft drinks. They had set up tables and had all kinds of board games. You can tell they put a lot of time and energy into this party. They made fliers and handed them out at Conoco/Phillips.

So here is this live news crew at the church, and not one single person showed up. I felt so sorry for these folks, they did all this work for nothing.

But why would anyone from this church think any of the young professionals from Houston would want to spend their saturday night in a Bartlesville church, drinking punch and playing board games? And why would any TV station cover something as lame as this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma