Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,348,913 times

Advertisements

Let's see....there's Marlow just outside of Lawton, Small towns outside of Duncan, which is near Lawton.....Brea, Velma,.... many more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,538,350 times
Default Small Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greys View Post
please if someone could help me out, i remember that i have been to a small ( really small) town /village in OK, must have been around lawton, where there maybe was only the main road really paved and most of the other roads where gravel, and there was this nice and large (maybe 2 story ?) light blue house with white shutters and a large deck/paddio around the bottom floor, and there was an old lady sitting in a rockingchair in the shade of the trees that where growing there . and it was such the peacefull atmosphere there, and it looked like ppl just build their houses underneath some trees where they could find a good spot...
it looked really cosy and really like you were back in time for sure and like at any minute there was a carriage with 2 horses coming through ... not like in a western town though, rather just like back in time in the countryside...
does anybody have any idea what i might be remembering here ???

thank you !!
THERE ARE SOME really nice spots in OK !
NO doubt about it
Maybe not so many inside of the town of lawton, but around it , i have seen some really nice views befor !!! ( i lived in Lawton 10 years ago though , it might have changed alot)
Waurika has a rattlesnake hunt each year. Medicine Park outside of Lawton might be an area you are remembering. MK is right....around Duncan there is Marlow, Velma-Alma (which has the Velma Picnic/Old Settlers celebration each summer, but no snake hunt that I know of), Bray, Central High community, Comanche, and Loco. A little further out from the Duncan/Lawton area there are the communities of Temple, Ryan, Terral, Geronimo, Elgin, Walters, Corum, Rush Springs......and probably a few others I've not mentioned, but around here, Waurika has the annual snake hunt and it's usually during the month of April. Hope this can help jog your memory.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Waurika has a rattlesnake hunt each year. Medicine Park outside of Lawton might be an area you are remembering. MK is right....around Duncan there is Marlow, Velma-Alma (which has the Velma Picnic/Old Settlers celebration each summer, but no snake hunt that I know of), Bray, Central High community, Comanche, and Loco. A little further out from the Duncan/Lawton area there are the communities of Temple, Ryan, Terral, Geronimo, Elgin, Walters, Corum, Rush Springs......and probably a few others I've not mentioned, but around here, Waurika has the annual snake hunt and it's usually during the month of April. Hope this can help jog your memory.
Thanks "educator1953" for the add-ons and corrections. I've lived in Duncan only 2 years now. I'd like to find more info on the events you mentioned

Old 02-17-2009, 05:17 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,538,350 times
Waurika Oklahoma Hosts Forty-sixth Annual Rattlesnake Hunt Here's info on the Waurika Rattlesnake Hunt, MK. It will be April 10-12, 2009. I've lived in Duncan all my life, and I've been to the snake hunt twice......interesting event, if you're into stuff like that. (I don't plan to go this year.)

Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
Waurika Oklahoma Hosts Forty-sixth Annual Rattlesnake Hunt Here's info on the Waurika Rattlesnake Hunt, MK. It will be April 10-12, 2009. I've lived in Duncan all my life, and I've been to the snake hunt twice......interesting event, if you're into stuff like that. (I don't plan to go this year.)
Thanks, I don't know if I'm into it. I'm an outdoor person, so I'll have to find out
I found a baby copperhead in my closet a few months ago

Old 02-19-2009, 02:07 PM

76 posts, read 324,090 times
I have to laugh when I read the comments about how flat and barren the Western part of Oklahoma is. My response to that is... It's hard to get a combine around a tree. I personally love the western side over the eastern. I have lived in both areas, grew up just outside Mooreland (10 miles from Woodward) Its a great town to raise a family, nice hardworking people and a excellent school.

I also lived in the Pryor/Adair area....still nice people, just a little different. Not in a bad way, just different. I worked with a woman that would just bag on western Oklahoma daily, I kinda felt like a "she coon" protecting her youngins She would go on and on about how "ugly" and "windy" it was over there. I told her how much I missed the wind, since moving to eastern oklahoma, I almost had to go sit out by the road and pray a truck or car would speed by just to get a breeze going. All them dang trees were blocking the air flow!

Eastern OK is beautiful with all the lakes and those wind blocking trees. I have to say my favorite town over there would have to be Inola. Just a nice country town with great people.

Weatherford is my all time favorite town in Southwestern OK, wheat waving in the summer as far as you can see.

Just wanted to share a few opinions here....Oh, and I think Duncan is a very pretty town, I love the park there. Seems like there is always a super nice man selling watermelons just outside town.....and not always the same fellow!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM

428 posts, read 796,808 times
Norman is a pretty town. So are parts of Tulsa

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 18,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greys View Post
please if someone could help me out, i remember that i have been to a small ( really small) town /village in OK, must have been around lawton, where there maybe was only the main road really paved and most of the other roads where gravel, and there was this nice and large (maybe 2 story ?) light blue house with white shutters and a large deck/paddio around the bottom floor, and there was an old lady sitting in a rockingchair in the shade of the trees that where growing there . and it was such the peacefull atmosphere there, and it looked like ppl just build their houses underneath some trees where they could find a good spot...
it looked really cosy and really like you were back in time for sure and like at any minute there was a carriage with 2 horses coming through ... not like in a western town though, rather just like back in time in the countryside...
does anybody have any idea what i might be remembering here ???

thank you !!
THERE ARE SOME really nice spots in OK !
NO doubt about it
Maybe not so many inside of the town of lawton, but around it , i have seen some really nice views befor !!! ( i lived in Lawton 10 years ago though , it might have changed alot)
Sounds a lot like the"Old Plantation" in Medicine Park (just north of Lawton). Grandma Leath has since passed away but the old building was bought by a developer who restored the old hotel/restaurant to its original 1920's grandeur. Medicine Park has turned into somewhat of a tourist trap but its still a great place to visit. AND as the original asked it is just one beautiful place. Its nestled on the granite banks of Medicine Creek located in the foothills of the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Ruge (another beautiful place).

Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM

559 posts, read 1,752,362 times
Edmond

Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Velma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma