Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:26 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times

Advertisements

Just because people believe in a simpler way of life doesn't necessarily mean that they are simple minded. I have been screwed over by more men in three piece suites, than I have been by rednecks and hillbillies. They may not know alot about culture, but they do know alot about survival. My family settled in the hills of Kentucky 20 years before Daniel Boone ever did. They may be rednecks but I would trust them before anyone else. Most if not all of them are conservatives, but they still accept me as a liberal. And I agree with Jessaka when it come to Bush, he's an idiot, as well as his hole cabinet.
Now to get off the perverbial soapbox, east Oklahoma is very beautiful from what I could see, from the cab of a truck. Being stationed at Ft. Sill for three years, yes it was a little dry and not to pretty to look at but, it was the south central area. And if you think things are bad, try living in the north central part of Ohio. Between the crime and the taxes you're nuts to live up here. That's why we're looking to move to Oklahoma. "Just my views on things".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I couldn't agree with you more Seabeebolt. Too many people that like to call themselves "open-minded" are in fact quite the opposite. They consider themselves elite, and just because someone doesn't live in a manner in which they approve, they are therefore labeled "backward" and "insignificant." Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I'm a pretty well-traveled person, have lived in Europe, traveled to almost every continent on the planet (not to mention about half of the states in the U.S.), and still travel extensively on business and otherwise.

Being from Oklahoma I'm biased, of course. But, Oklahoma is a great place to live, mostly because of the people, who are some of the nicest folks you'll meet anywhere. I don't currently live there, but once I'm able to retire, I plan on moving back.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Default prettiest city in OK is the country

The prettiest city in OK should be the country-side in my opinon. Of course others may disagree. And rightrully so! But my earliest memories in life are from my grandmothers house who lived wayyyy out in the country. The early mornings were so peaceful and having chickens and horses still permeate my idea of beauty.

I realize this is all purely subjective. I have also not seen it mentioned that Oklahoma has more horses per capita than any other state in US. Sorry, I don't have the citation for that. I love to see horses out along the road as you drive by.

I used to work in west TX, and some ppl love the flat prairies. I do too, because it reminds of the past when this land was wide open and free, bufflao country. I grew up in CA where you could see ocean, mountains and redwoods. But Oklahoma has something else which cannot be described. Can't explain it. So much tribal history here with so many tribes represented. As far as cities/small towns go, I like the old brick mainstreets and the limestone bldgs. They are cool too. I do not miss the smog and congestion of the bigger cities.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM

37 posts, read 137,583 times
[quote=Farouche;140151]Guthrie has a real "Old West" feel that might be reminiscent of some of the towns in the Black Hills. It has the largest urban historic district of any city in the country/[quote]

We LOVE Edmond. It is rather hilly and we arrived in Snow-klahoma right before the ice storm so the snow contrasted nicely on the red brick buildings. Guthrie feels like Knotts Berry Farm (amusement park by Disneyland) and it's darling, but I was talking with some Guthrie natives from my hobby group and they have a large poverty/welfare/immigratioin problem there; behind the facade of the ol' west buildings, the yokels say it's a dump. I was quite taken aback.

We have not regretted the choice to leave Mexifornia. People are super friendly until you put them behind the wheel of a giant hemi pickup (We've both found drivers to be quite aggressive and there are a LOT more biiiiig vehicles on the road in OK vs freeways full of rice rockets in CA).

ONCE I have run into the Yankee go home attitude in the last 2 months. Hey, if that guy had the same job qualifications (for more money than DH made in California), he could've gotten the same hi-tech job. DH didn't TAKE a job from anyone.

We are in escrow on our first home (could've never afforded a home in CA.) We're buying from an older couple who are going into a retirement community. The seller has called me several times to say, "Didn't know if you knew this but.......". We moved here with very little and the sellers are going to give us whatever furniture they don't want.

I can't say enough nice things about Oklahoma.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I'm glad to hear you're having such a good experience FFC. I haven't visited Edmund in awhile. I live in Texas but my employer is in Oklahoma City. I'll have to visit Edmond the next time I'm up there.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,523 times
I think Ardmore is very pretty: lots of azaleas, and I think there must be some serious gardeners there. Norman is nice as well--I see lots of pretty lanscaping and the city seems pretty 'green'. I'm sure the OU campus contributes to the feeling.

Good question!

Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,132 times
Default Jammie---Glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We had the opportunity to drive down to Poteau and it is really beautiful there. We really liked the northeastern area of the state though.

Bosscougar, glad you get to travel a lot and I'm glad you enjoyed the SD scenery. It is really beautiful in the Badlands and Black Hills. But you're right about the cold here. Our past two winters have been nice and this one has been nice SO FAR.

I lived in NJ for 17 years before moving here 26 years ago. I think it's great. If you come again, check out Talimena Drive or a trip south to Texas through Broken Bow.
Frank

Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM

99 posts, read 504,187 times
Smile Harleygal I totaly agree

We live in Ca. and went to visit Tulsa last Sep. we went all around and down through Broken Bow and found it to be so Green and rolling hills very beauitful .We went to Grove also and Eureka Springs Ark. Branson Mo. I have friends in Broken Arrow and Siloam Springs OK. and Bartelsville .I also have realtives in MO. and TN.This was our first trip to see the Mid West we were very courious as to what it would be like well we loved it .We love WA. OR. ID. and MT. where my sister-in-law lives. We have deceided to put our home on the market now in Ca. We are looking to buy in Broken Arrow or Jenks as Hubby will work in Tulsa my hubby will retire at 59 so we can just travel all the places we love and more we have not yet seen and bass fish camp, garden , relax spend time with our kids and grandkids there all coming to and buying out there just enjoy life without all the stress of Ca. high cost of living and evrything has gone so down hill here I was raised here as were my children but it is time to go now to a new land somewhere peaceful and laid back . Life is what you make it if your unhappy on the inside you will be unhappy WHERE EVER you live . I have traveled abit to and seen much beauty and I seen beauty in OK. to we are going to contuie to travel but our home will be in Tulsa OK. area

Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 PM

334 posts, read 915,527 times
"We have not regretted the choice to leave Mexifornia."

C'mon, FFC, was that really necessary? You do know there are Mexicans in OK too, right?

Anyway, back on topic. I spent some summers and one winter in and around Grove. It's very pretty, with rolling hills and deciduous woodlands. The people are very friendly, too.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,431 times
Hey, what are the prettiest cities in the USA. It was contest about it , Do anybody have a link to webpage??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma