Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:31 AM

68 posts, read 230,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie in tx View Post
I live in a very pretty subarb of Dallas, but I long to be back in OK. Some people around here are nice, but they just assume you have monye and some are just down right snobbish. I am so tired of paying almost 4000.00 a year in property tax for a house worth1410000.00 with a postage stamp sized back yard. We have our house up for sale and are planning to move to South Tulsa in the Union school district.
Ment to say 141000.00
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
I don't think Holdenville would get any votes for the prettiest city, and I know Yeager wouldn't either. It's the people who live there that make me love them.

Lamar has about the prettiest setting for a town I have seen.

How about a thread that says, "10 ways Tahlequah is the best place to live" Jess.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Some big cities are pretty in a picture, but when you actually go into the city it's nothing but a dump, Example: New York, L.A., Chicago, Detroit, ect

Not to rename the topic, but for me it's not the looks(cosmetic wise) that count as much as what's in it and what it has to offer and of course the attidude of the people.

TULSA,OK.

Attached Thumbnails
Prettiest OK city-tulsa-ok.jpg  

Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM

60 posts, read 203,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
That was my view of Texas too. I lived all over Texas, and the people were nice. But nothing in comparison with those in OK. Here nice has an entire new meaning. I am trying to explain that to a friend of mine who may be moving here in a year or less. Her husband is from the panhandle of Texas, and I told her that the people and the area in Tahlequah is so much better. I need to find a thread here to show her what I mean. Any ideas?
I have found the people in the Texas Panhandle to be as nice or nicer than the people in Oklahoma. Great people in both places. I wouldn't say the people are "so much better" in Oklahoma. If they are friendlier it is just by the tiniest margin. The Texas Panhandle is nothing like the rest of Texas.

Truthfully the biggest difference between the Texas Panhandle and most of Oklahoma is the weather, it is much warmer (in the winter) cooler (in the summer), less wind, more rain, and less snow. And Oklahoma is much more green. If you want to convince someone from the Panhandle to move to Oklahoma talk up the weather, not the people. By far the biggest gripe of people who moved from Oklahoma to the Panhandle is the weather especially the wind, followed by the lack of trees.

I have lived in either eastern nm, or the Texas or Oklahoma Panhandles all of my life (minus military and job related stints in other places), now I work in Oklahoma (or "down state" as we call it). I love both and I would leave the Panhandle for the OKC area in a heartbeat but my family still lives in the Panhandle.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,351,207 times
I just told a friend of mine that another friend was thinking of either moving here or to the Texas panhandle, Lubbock, I think. She said that she knew someone that lived there and if you haven't lived their all your life you are not really welcome, that they are clickish. I don't know, but I have tried to move to different places in Texas, and the people were very unfriendly and when I asked about renting they became more unfriendly. One woman in a small town told me that they don't rent to outsiders. This was a small town just east of Victoria. We ended up having to live in a large city.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I just told a friend of mine that another friend was thinking of either moving here or to the Texas panhandle, Lubbock, I think. She said that she knew someone that lived there and if you haven't lived their all your life you are not really welcome, that they are clickish. I don't know, but I have tried to move to different places in Texas, and the people were very unfriendly and when I asked about renting they became more unfriendly. One woman in a small town told me that they don't rent to outsiders. This was a small town just east of Victoria. We ended up having to live in a large city.
We're all "clickish", especially if you have a computer

I have a Baby Sister who lives in Amarillo.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM

60 posts, read 203,868 times
There are clickish towns in both Oklahoma and Texas, I would recommend Oklahoma over Lubbock. Oklahoma vs. Amarillo is alot tougher choice IMO. Amarillo is my perfect city, I like OKC but I love Amarillo, I wish Oklahoma had a town similar to Amarillo, Tulsa and OKC are a touch too big for my liking.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_Maker View Post
There are clickish towns in both Oklahoma and Texas, I would recommend Oklahoma over Lubbock. Oklahoma vs. Amarillo is alot tougher choice IMO. Amarillo is my perfect city, I like OKC but I love Amarillo, I wish Oklahoma had a town similar to Amarillo, Tulsa and OKC are a touch too big for my liking.
What is more to your liking of Amarillo over Lubbock? Everything I've read seems to point that Lubbock is a nicer town, is more on the move and is larger both in city and metropolitan populations than Amarillo..

Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
I wish Texas had a town like Grove. We love the Grove area, but unfortunately it still gets ice storms and more winter then I'd like to have. Of course, considering where I've spent my entire life, I can't throw stones at someone else's winter.

As far as the Conservative and Christian atmosphere, that wouldn't be a problem for us. Actually, if you check stats, the town I live in has over 80% people who consider themselves to be Christian. That's much higher then most cities even in the South which is known to be the Bible belt.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
Jammie, I don't think you would have liked that ice storm this year. I don't know if it hit Grove but it sure hit Tulsa. Have you ever thought about El Paso? It has beautiful mountains and very nice weather. It is just in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma