Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,567,116 times

Advertisements

As highly conservative as government leaders are in Oklahoma, I wonder what will happen first? Removing the state statue that bans sodomy between homosexuals or legalizing same sex marriage?

If I'm right, Oklahoma's law against sodomy once meant heterosexuals, too, until that part of it was dropped. I wonder how legislators got away with doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The politicians in the state legislature want to do everything they can to make sure anybody who isn't white, straight, Republican, and fundamental Baptist doesn't feel welcomed in Oklahoma. It's no wonder so many of Oklahoma's best and brightest young people are fleeing to DFW and Austin. Big league city? Not until it becomes a little more live and let live.
There is much truth in what you say, and it is well stated, but fortunately it doesn't speak to every single Oklahoman or Oklahoma politician.

We should, however, remember the fact that there is not one single reason whatsoever to oppose same sex marriage that doesn't stem from ignorance, fear, hatred, bigotry or some combination of those things.

To preclude adult consensual couples from marrying based solely on their gender is the very definition of discrimination and bigotry.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,181,731 times
I don't think the issue is as much with consenting adults as I do the word "marriage." Most of the gays I know who have a life partner want the same thing. A legally recognized union that is legally dissolved by divorce, and the same legal rights and responsibilities as those who are united in a marriage ceremony. I don't think it is unrealistic. Hoping to have the same legal rights and their married friend is something my gay friends have talked about for 40 years that I can remember.

I know a lot of married couples, liberal. indy, and conservative, who feel the same way. They don't hate LGBT or think they should not be able to enter into a legal union, but they push back hard against the word 'marriage'. The media makes noise about one, but not about the other. A national dialogue would probably be helpful.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,217,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't think the issue is as much with consenting adults as I do the word "marriage." Most of the gays I know who have a life partner want the same thing. A legally recognized union that is legally dissolved by divorce, and the same legal rights and responsibilities as those who are united in a marriage ceremony. I don't think it is unrealistic. Hoping to have the same legal rights and their married friend is something my gay friends have talked about for 40 years that I can remember.

I know a lot of married couples, liberal. indy, and conservative, who feel the same way. They don't hate LGBT or think they should not be able to enter into a legal union, but they push back hard against the word 'marriage'. The media makes noise about one, but not about the other. A national dialogue would probably be helpful.
There are two problems with civil unions. First, the gay community would never accept them unless heterosexual marriages were legally called civil unions as well. It's not about the benefits, its about the complete equality of same sex relationships with heterosexual relationships. Second, most extreme conservatives who are against gay marriage are also against civil unions. It would be difficult to pass civil unions in many red states like Oklahoma because much of the population really does hate gays to the core.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
Very sad that in 2013 there are such bigoted and ignorant politicians anywhere, whether it be in OK or Cali or wherever. OK has many virtues, but progressiveness, being open minded and not judging dont seem to be some of them. Not all states are cutting edge on civil rights issues, and many are behind the curve of other places. It's no coincidence that the states approving gay marriage are generally clustered near each other. Nonetheless, I don't see the need to shame Oklahomans for being conservative and resistant to change-the writing is on the wall and eventually the state will catch up to the times, regardless of how obnoxious some politicians behave- and let's be honest, most politicians suddenly embraced gay marriage when public opinion polls started supporting it. I am sure as soon as the local polls show a majority in favor of it, there will be a new wave of politicians "evolving" on the issue. And rememeber, not every place will have the mentality of an Austin, NYC, LA, etc. What OK lacks in compassion for others that are different at this time, it makes up for it in genuiness and sincerity. Change takes time and sometimes even good people are wrong, but I have faith they will come around sooner or later.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,530,825 times
Yep. It is one of the embarrassments of this great state.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,530,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
[b]

Moreover, my African American friends do not appreciate how the gay community has drawn a direct correlation between its own trials with that of slavery/oppression of African Americans and the civil rights struggle of the South. I think the gay community will have a very difficult time making any inroads into Black Churches, which hold tremendous sway over the views/culture of the African American community.

CAAP - Coalition of African American Pastors
They don't appreciate it? They ought to be ashamed of themselves. Civil liberties are civil liberties whether you are gay or black. The heck there is no correlation.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,535,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Let me see. California with all its intelligence is bankrupt and OK lives in its means. Who is smarter?
California has Stanford , University California Berkeley , (CIT )California Institute Technology , NASA and more
top secret military atom weapons research facilities than you can shake a stick at..California pays more " money into the federal government than it get Back From The Federal Government " Oklahoma gets more back if I remember correctly meaning Oklahoma is on (States Welfare). I still love Oklahoma , but I'm going to tell it like it is concerning CALIFORNIA....it's hands down the greatest state in the United States of America , by the way I'm leaving California for OKLAHOMA to retire in (1) to (4) years , and by the way California is on the verge of Balancing the Budget By A Vast Majority of State Demo Political Officers..

Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As highly conservative as government leaders are in Oklahoma, I wonder what will happen first? Removing the state statue that bans sodomy between homosexuals or legalizing same sex marriage?

If I'm right, Oklahoma's law against sodomy once meant heterosexuals, too, until that part of it was dropped. I wonder how legislators got away with doing that?
The Bible says That The Marriage Bed Is Undefiled meaning that married folks can get away with that
heterosexual anal sex.....

Old 04-13-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
There is much truth in what you say, and it is well stated, but fortunately it doesn't speak to every single Oklahoman or Oklahoma politician.

We should, however, remember the fact that there is not one single reason whatsoever to oppose same sex marriage that doesn't stem from ignorance, fear, hatred, bigotry or some combination of those things.

To preclude adult consensual couples from marrying based solely on their gender is the very definition of discrimination and bigotry.
Not in the case of Domestic Partnerships and Civil Unions which give the same benefits as Homosexual Marriage ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma