U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:54 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,058,006 times

Advertisements

We are finally leaving this coming Sat. to see OK. Does anyone know anything about the Poteau area? The scenery there looks beautiful. What is the economy and housing like in Poteau? I have found their local newspaper, but a lot of it won't come through on the internet. Is it a nice town? Are the people friendly? Jobs? Housing? Any info will be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 20,848 times
I've been there....have relatives near there.

It's about like all the small towns around.....people will be very friendly (although what would be considered by most as "hick" or "redneck", housing will be cheap. The area is very pretty, lots of trees and such around. The job market will be awful. I don't know what you will be looking for, but don't expect too much to choose from.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM

14 posts, read 46,939 times
Default Jammie

Hi ! I live in Poteau and I love it !There are quit a few post about poteau in the forum. The scenery around is BEAUTIFUL and the people here are friendly,The economy here is fairly good The houses for rent around here can leave a lot to be desired but if you look around well enough you can get into a nice house. There are several apartment buildings here. Some are specifically for low income.(rent is based on your income)There are always jobs available depending on what you are willing to work at LOLFort SMith is not that far away from here and many people work there. If you are looking for a laid back way of life you can find it here. Hope that you enjoy your visit (((HUGS))) Mel

Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM

11,437 posts, read 8,208,248 times
Lived there for a couple of years about 10 years ago. Prettiest area in the central US.

Not as isolated as people think with about 750K along the NW Arkansas/Eastern OK area.

Very blue collar!! Not very progressive. A bunch of old time families run the town (Holton, Ollie, Roberts, Barber). Town is dumpy but there are a few nice areas.

You pretty much feel you live in Arkansas. Fortunately, Ft. Smith and Fayetteville are accessible and provide some cultural things.

My biggest problem is that Poteau has a lot of potential to be a lot better than it is. But it is truly beatiful country.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,953 times
My husband and I are planning to retire in Poteau. I have family ties to Leflore County, and have been visiting the area since I was a small child. I've seen the town change alot since then. Change comes slow to this part of Oklahoma. The people love the way things have been and nostalgia is felt everywhere. The people are generally quick to give a hello and or helpful comment if you need it. The hunting and fishing is excellent all through the county. Fall is beautiful and oaks abound on every hill. Poteau is a real old-fashioned town, it is not trying to be a cultural hub like Park City, Utah. The people are genuine, the life is slow.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,364,864 times
Oh, Wow! Jammie. Hope you stop by Tahlequah and see what you think of it. I think you should also check out Kreb and go to that Italian restaurant if you like Italian food. It is supposed to be the best in OK, but you probably remember reading that. Have fun!!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 AM

533 posts, read 1,579,147 times
I spent a night in Poteau about 3 years ago and had an exceptionally nice time. We had supper at the Western Sizzlin and stayed the night at a Days Inn. The room was great and wonderfully clean. Everyone we met was very courteous, pleasant, and helpful. We enjoyed our trip so much we intend to return.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,058,006 times
I'm sorry~I guess I never gave an update on Poteau. We went down there a year ago and Grove and Tulsa were probably the only towns I ever posted about again.

We thought that Poteau was cute and friendly. We drove around their hills and it was so nice how people had their homes built back up in there. The people were nice and we chatted with a gal in the liquor store for a while and a few others. We were just driving around slowly and a group of ladies were standing outside and they all waved at us. We were impressed with the welcoming attitude there.

Unfortunately, we learned that the employment situation wasn't very good there. It seemed to be kind of a unanimous thing among the locals that you'd have to go to Ark. to work. They said the area had been quite depressed for years now. But for anyone who will be fully retiring, it is a perfect spot.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 PM

50,314 posts, read 40,375,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We are finally leaving this coming Sat. to see OK. Does anyone know anything about the Poteau area? The scenery there looks beautiful. What is the economy and housing like in Poteau? I have found their local newspaper, but a lot of it won't come through on the internet. Is it a nice town? Are the people friendly? Jobs? Housing? Any info will be appreciated.
Hope you've had a wonderful time in Oklahoma, Jammie. You've probably passed a whole bunch of great stuff before getting to Poteau.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

20 posts, read 62,096 times
Oh neato! I live in Poteau. Its so pretty and most people are nice. Housing is cheap the job market sucks. The only place I know to work at is Bremner. Or the new Tiger Truck plant, I'm not sure they are open yet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma