Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 AM

207 posts, read 443,988 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am from Tennessee (Memphis) and have lived in Northwest Arkansas as well as KC MO and St. Louis, MO areas. We are looking for a place with a low cost of living, great homeschool community, a health food store nearby (gluten free places would be awesome if we could find them), and safe for a mom with young children. Being from Memphis, I am familiar with the tornado drills, and honestly hated tornado weather - however, I was wondering if there was anywhere in Oklahoma that still might fit the bill of what we are looking for. We are currently in NW AR and really keep looking west for a better place to live. I am not a fan of humidity either, but I guess I would rather deal with that than another KC MO winter (several days in the negative digits - cold 'for no reason').

Would we get swallowed up by horrible tornadoes and attacked by all kinds of snakes that some people have told me are all over OK? I would think that dangerous snakes are around the same as TN, but I could be wrong. I know OK is flatter compared to the Ozark Mountains, but is there one area in OK that you would suggest for us? Would Tulsa be better than Oklahoma City, or somewhere else entirely? We are conservative/independent if that matters, as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:36 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times
Reading all the pro/con posts about life in Oklahoma would pretty much answer your questions. Having lived in Oklahoma most of my life and never being bothered by snakes, I'm clueless about where they are a problem. Not sure what else to add.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:21 PM

374 posts, read 807,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingagain2012 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am from Tennessee (Memphis) and have lived in Northwest Arkansas as well as KC MO and St. Louis, MO areas. We are looking for a place with a low cost of living, great homeschool community, a health food store nearby (gluten free places would be awesome if we could find them), and safe for a mom with young children. Being from Memphis, I am familiar with the tornado drills, and honestly hated tornado weather - however, I was wondering if there was anywhere in Oklahoma that still might fit the bill of what we are looking for. We are currently in NW AR and really keep looking west for a better place to live. I am not a fan of humidity either, but I guess I would rather deal with that than another KC MO winter (several days in the negative digits - cold 'for no reason').

Would we get swallowed up by horrible tornadoes and attacked by all kinds of snakes that some people have told me are all over OK? I would think that dangerous snakes are around the same as TN, but I could be wrong. I know OK is flatter compared to the Ozark Mountains, but is there one area in OK that you would suggest for us? Would Tulsa be better than Oklahoma City, or somewhere else entirely? We are conservative/independent if that matters, as well.

Thank you!
Culturally Oklahoma is not much different than Tennessee or Arkansas. We also have a better tornado warning system than Arkansas. You would feel right at home in Oklahoma. The Ozarks are also in Oklahoma. I would recommend Oklahoma City. The area is not as pretty, but it's just a short drive to the mountains going south, east or southeast.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,516,517 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
I think Norman and other bedroom communities to Oklahoma City (I'm thinking the ones going south on I-35) such as Blanchard, Newcastle, or Purcell would fit the bill.

I agree with John, I think culturally you will feel some continuity to AR/TN, but there obviously will be some topographic distinctions from what you're used to in the Ozarks. (You can still get your dose of the Ozarks in Green Country and Southeastern OK, however.)

Blessings and welcome to The Sooner State!

Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
For mountains and not as much humidity, compared to Arkansas, check out Lawton where the Wichita Mountains are. Tornadoes there probably aren't as common as the OKC area as well as ice and snow storms. It gets hotter and drier, though. Snakes are naturally worse in the countryside, rather than in town.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,516,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Culturally Oklahoma is not much different than Tennessee or Arkansas. We also have a better tornado warning system than Arkansas. You would feel right at home in Oklahoma. The Ozarks are also in Oklahoma. I would recommend Oklahoma City. The area is not as pretty, but it's just a short drive to the mountains going south, east or southeast.
Yep.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM

207 posts, read 443,988 times
Wow you guys are awesome, thanks so much for your answers so far! We eventually want a little farm/ranch, and maybe I've been reading too many stories about the Dust Bowl days, but my idea of Oklahoma City and the eastern part of OK was that it was very drought-prone and very flat. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

I love the mountains, and wanted to move out west for awhile, but after seeing the cost of rent out there and the thought of the frigid winters, I'm thinking maybe I am a Southern girl after all...I still hate humidity, however
We are in Northwest Arkansas right now and trying to decide if the grass truly is greener across the border in Oklahoma. One of the main reasons we are thinking of going to OK is you guys have some of the greatest homeschool laws in the nation - it is actually written into your OK Constitution!

I thought about driving down to Ft. Smith and across the border there to check things out, but I guess all of those OK towns are fairly small and people drive to Ft. Smith for heavier shopping? Being from Memphis, NW AR together is a pretty good population to me, but I still want to live pretty rural within about 10-20 minutes to shopping if possible.

Oh, and I am still a little afraid of being in an area more prone to tornadoes. Can you suggest a list of areas that would be less prone, or is all of OK fair game for tornadoes? I know they have them in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, but in Arkansas for example I have heard they are mainly more in the eastern part of the state. It would not be good to build our little farm and get our chickens and sheep and horses only to have everything destroyed in seconds by a tornado!

Any more ideas guys? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times
Eastern Oklahoma is called Green Country - at least a large part of it is. Areas in the west half are more dry. There are some mountains in the west side, but more in the east. I'm sure people close to the border go to Ft Smith to shop, but in my area they go to Tulsa.

I don't think there is anyway to predict where a funnel may hit or not. I've heard several old sayings, but can't think of any right now as to where to build a house - relative to topography. I suppose on a farm I would want a cellar. I always thought having one in the garage would be ideal, then wouldn't have to get out in a storm to go to the cellar. I haven't sought shelter from a storm in so many years I have no idea the last time. There was a warning last evening, but I didn't even look outside.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM

78 posts, read 121,304 times
Quote:
Wow you guys are awesome, thanks so much for your answers so far! We eventually want a little farm/ranch, and maybe I've been reading too many stories about the Dust Bowl days, but my idea of Oklahoma City and the eastern part of OK was that it was very drought-prone and very flat. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

I love the mountains, and wanted to move out west for awhile, but after seeing the cost of rent out there and the thought of the frigid winters, I'm thinking maybe I am a Southern girl after all...I still hate humidity, however
We are in Northwest Arkansas right now and trying to decide if the grass truly is greener across the border in Oklahoma. One of the main reasons we are thinking of going to OK is you guys have some of the greatest homeschool laws in the nation - it is actually written into your OK Constitution!

I thought about driving down to Ft. Smith and across the border there to check things out, but I guess all of those OK towns are fairly small and people drive to Ft. Smith for heavier shopping? Being from Memphis, NW AR together is a pretty good population to me, but I still want to live pretty rural within about 10-20 minutes to shopping if possible.

Oh, and I am still a little afraid of being in an area more prone to tornadoes. Can you suggest a list of areas that would be less prone, or is all of OK fair game for tornadoes? I know they have them in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, but in Arkansas for example I have heard they are mainly more in the eastern part of the state. It would not be good to build our little farm and get our chickens and sheep and horses only to have everything destroyed in seconds by a tornado!

Honestly, trying to pick a place in Oklahoma based on likelihood of Tornado's is pointless. You most likely have the same odds no matter where you live. They can happen anywhere, but at the same time its not a daily occurrence. You will learn quickly how to kind of track the storms that make tornados and they do a great job of giving ample warnings almost every time.

Coming in for a visit will be the best for you, both OKC and Tulsa have their pros and cons. I think it just comes down to personal taste and whether or not you have family or friends already based in either city. People who are from Oklahoma like to get into fights about which one is better and they take it really personally. From my experience they are both pretty similar and you could be extremely happy in either place. I now live halfway between the two in a city called Stillwater. Just look around a little bit, there are a lot of really nice places to live in this state.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:

As mentioned before, visit Lawton and the Wichita Mountains before deciding. That area is subject to somewhat more heat and drought than the OKC area, if that is a factor. The possibility of tornadoes in Oklahoma shouldn't be too stressful to live with as long as you have a shelter quick and easy to get to, like a safe room in your house or a storm cellar in the back yard or under the garage. And hopefully have room for at least some of the little farm animals.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-15-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma