U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
 
3,279 posts, read 4,825,625 times
Reputation: 6149

Advertisements

My wife & I live about 2 hours east of Dallas TX. She has time off later today through Sunday & wants to go somewhere. I had pondered Turner Falls. In reading about it at Trip Advisor, it seems it either is a pretty good place or a once great place gone to pot, overdone with trashy elements & such. I'm not a high society type, but I would like anyone's impression of the place if you're an outdoors hiking, landscape photography & water sports type of person.

Also, would the water be warm enough (as in 75'F or so) by this time, or is it fed by mountain snow run-off that makes it stay cold for a long time? Is it deep (as in 8 foot or more) and are you allowed to be in the deep part vs just splashing around in the knee-deep parts? On a related note, how heavily is it lifeguarded? I actually prefer a low-key approach there, I appreciate safety etc but I don't like someone blowing the whistle every 2.5 seconds telling me not to go past the buoys or that my 4 & 6 year-olds, the latter of whom can swim in an 8 foot deep without a life-jacket (but we don't do that in less controlled environments), have to stay in the "kiddie" section.

My wife also was considering Canyon TX near Amarillo for the scenery, but I wanted to ask about here first, as it's somewhat closer for one thing, and also because this time of the year water sports is hardcore on my mind.

LRH
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,513 posts, read 8,639,998 times
Reputation: 3208
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
My wife & I live about 2 hours east of Dallas TX. She has time off later today through Sunday & wants to go somewhere. I had pondered Turner Falls. In reading about it at Trip Advisor, it seems it either is a pretty good place or a once great place gone to pot, overdone with trashy elements & such. I'm not a high society type, but I would like anyone's impression of the place if you're an outdoors hiking, landscape photography & water sports type of person.

Also, would the water be warm enough (as in 75'F or so) by this time, or is it fed by mountain snow run-off that makes it stay cold for a long time? Is it deep (as in 8 foot or more) and are you allowed to be in the deep part vs just splashing around in the knee-deep parts? On a related note, how heavily is it lifeguarded? I actually prefer a low-key approach there, I appreciate safety etc but I don't like someone blowing the whistle every 2.5 seconds telling me not to go past the buoys or that my 4 & 6 year-olds, the latter of whom can swim in an 8 foot deep without a life-jacket (but we don't do that in less controlled environments), have to stay in the "kiddie" section.

My wife also was considering Canyon TX near Amarillo for the scenery, but I wanted to ask about here first, as it's somewhat closer for one thing, and also because this time of the year water sports is hardcore on my mind.

LRH
If you're looking for some beautiful scenery and trails for hiking then TF will be great.

If you're thinking about swimming I'd think again. Unless we get a 100 degree day in May, it will still be too cold.....the kiddos might be brave enough to get in there.

Do not let your children do any diving or jumping into the main pond with the waterfall. There are too many hidden rocks/boulders just below the surface of the water.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,710 times
Reputation: 10
Turner Falls is always a blast. The trails and few caves are fun to explore, but it would be a bummer you couldn't swim since it will be too cold. But yes, Turner Falls is fun. Do it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City
374 posts, read 743,341 times
Reputation: 243
Great area but the last time I went it was over run with illegal aliens. Mariachi music was blaring all over the place. There were literally hundreds, if not thousands of people that clearly were not US citizens. The area is beautiful.

I would recommend going to Camp Classen that is right next door. Great lakes and rivers with canoe rentals and swimming. Great hiking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Deep Dirty South
5,190 posts, read 4,926,644 times
Reputation: 3845
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Great area but the last time I went it was over run with illegal aliens.
Yeah! That's right, man. Because all the brown people you see are them "illegals."

Quote:
Mariachi music was blaring all over the place.
Mariachi music?!?!?! Noooooo!!!! Right out in the open? What in the heck is this world coming to, I ask ya.

Quote:
There were literally hundreds, if not thousands of people that clearly were not US citizens.
Unbelievable! Hey, what method do YOU use to figger out the brown folks that are here illegally from the actual citizens? I just reckon, if they're too dark, they just plain don't belong here, dangit!

Quote:
I would recommend going to Camp Classen that is right next door. Great lakes and rivers with canoe rentals and swimming. Great hiking.
(in other words, fewer brown people...)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top