U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,307,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Most places I have been think Oklahoma is part of the midwest. They think Dust Bowl, tornados, flat, dull, wheat, and the wind comes sweeping down the plains, Grapes of Wrath.
That's somewhat along the lines of what I'm saying, your description of what others think of Oklahoma as the Dust Bowl/Grapes of Wrath imagery is just not the "Midwest." Have such designations ever been applied to tried/true Midwestern states such as Meechigan or Whiskey or Minnesota or Ohio/Indiana, for example? The Grapes of Wrath aversion is derived from Okies/Arkies/Texans and other Southerners and then to a much lesser degree Missourians/Kansans.

That's my point, if Oklahoma is the "Midwest" then it is a different Midwest than the actual Midwest. (Which basically means Oklahoma is not the Midwest at all.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Who in the hell thinks Louisiana or Mississippi are in the Midwest??? I hope they weren't trying to sell you a bridge! I must say in my entire life never heard anyone thinking Louisiana and Mississippi were in the midwest. You must have hung out with some pretty dim bulbs out there in the "Golden State".
Actually, a reporter from northern California on a major news channel called Mississippi the Midwest. I'm guessing, again, it's that whole Middle America mentality from West Coasters. Middle America is viewed as something out there in the middle of nowhere, which includes Midwest states (for instance, the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, possibly Missouri) as well as Southern states (such as, in this case, Oklahoma/Arkansas/Texas.....and even Mississippi!)

Old 12-24-2013, 07:46 PM

2,572 posts, read 3,777,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Actually, a reporter from northern California on a major news channel called Mississippi the Midwest. I'm guessing, again, it's that whole Middle America mentality from West Coasters. Middle America is viewed as something out there in the middle of nowhere, which includes Midwest states (for instance, the Dakotas, Kansas, Nebraska, possibly Missouri) as well as Southern states (such as, in this case, Oklahoma/Arkansas/Texas.....and even Mississippi!)
The Tulsa news stations usually refer to Oklahoma as the midwest. I aways think of you when I hear one of them say that!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
The Tulsa news stations usually refer to Oklahoma as the midwest. I aways think of you when I hear one of them say that!
Interesting.

I've got family in Tulsa and visit them regularly and I usually take in some local news while I'm there. I've never heard any of the local anchormen/women/weather folks call Tulsa or Oklahoma the Midwest; they usually just refer to Oklahoma and rarely speak in regional terms.

I do remember one exception. I think it was the really bad winter/ice storm of 2007? or 2008? I can't remember precisely, but while stuck in Tulsa from that ice storm I do remember a national weather-caster lumping Oklahoma in the Midwest along with the severe weather in Arkansas and north into Missouri. (Is Arkansas the Midwest? = I would say no, of course, but I guess not everyone is on the same page on this stuff.) That's the one exception I can think of and it wasn't a local person.

*PS....you need to be thinking of someone more exciting like GoodPasture or RedBird! I'm just plain ol' Redneck Okie.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:24 AM

96 posts, read 112,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
Go to southeastern Oklahoma and tell them they are anything but southern. You may not make it out.
The southeastern part of Oklahoma is the part that borders Arkansas and Northeast Texas yes I already know thats culturally the south.

Last edited by CaliWestCoast; 12-25-2013 at 02:12 AM..

Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Interesting.

I've got family in Tulsa and visit them regularly and I usually take in some local news while I'm there. I've never heard any of the local anchormen/women/weather folks call Tulsa or Oklahoma the Midwest; they usually just refer to Oklahoma and rarely speak in regional terms.

I do remember one exception. I think it was the really bad winter/ice storm of 2007? or 2008? I can't remember precisely, but while stuck in Tulsa from that ice storm I do remember a national weather-caster lumping Oklahoma in the Midwest along with the severe weather in Arkansas and north into Missouri. (Is Arkansas the Midwest? = I would say no, of course, but I guess not everyone is on the same page on this stuff.) That's the one exception I can think of and it wasn't a local person.

*PS....you need to be thinking of someone more exciting like GoodPasture or RedBird! I'm just plain ol' Redneck Okie.
OSU's Uniforms To Be 'Oregon of the Midwest'? - KTUL.com - Tulsa, Oklahoma - News, Weather & Sports

I know it's just one example, but I hear us being identified as the midwest a lot.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:40 AM

11,977 posts, read 8,515,919 times
Quote:
OSU's Uniforms To Be 'Oregon of the Midwest'? - KTUL.com - Tulsa, Oklahoma - News, Weather & Sports

I know it's just one example, but I hear us being identified as the midwest a lot.

I suppose if you include the northern plains states as "midwest" (which I don't) then you could make a case that north of I-40 and I-44 in the eastern half of the state could be midwestern.

I would also disagree with Johnny Special in his characterization of SE Oklahoma as being like Mississippi in that the only place in SE Oklahoma that is even close to being like Mississippi is Idabel and it's really not that close.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Yeh, just like "Southern Agriculture" is in Broken Arrow. I drove by it a few weeks ago. I think such examples are somewhat contrived and not the best way to get to the heart of the issue.

Self-identification and dialect maps, along with history and overall culture, are generally the best indicators.....all of which seem to point to the vast majority of Okies thinking (at least when pressed on designating from the Big 4 Regions = North/South/Midwest/West) they are Southern, or at the very least, a derivative of the South (probably closer to how I think about it).

I hear you though. It just doesn't fit with my experience or gel with the family and many friends that I have in the Tulsa area. I've never heard any of them call Tulsa or the area or Oklahoma for that matter the Midwest. They live there everyday and have for many years.

I'll stand by what I've said from the beginning as it fits the general consensus of Okies better:
Oklahoma = part of the South, at least an extension of it. The Southwest? = yes, at least an extension of it. Ergo, SouthXSouthwest. Midwest? = nope.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:44 PM

929 posts, read 1,530,548 times
Quote:
Interesting.

They always say midwest.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
They always say midwest.
I hear midwest up here more often than I southern. There may some business with Southern in their names but there are a ton of the with Midwest also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma