Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times

Advertisements

Like okie1962, I cannot fathom not helping someone if their car battery is dead or they are having some kind of trouble and I can do something about it. My husband and I have lived in Oklahoma all our lives, and we were both raised to help others. We had good examples from both sets of parents, too, and were taught to respect others and to help out people if we could.

While I'm not really that happy with the town we live in, I like the state of Oklahoma. I am not a very social person, but I do have several very good friends that would help me out in a moment's notice if I needed them, and I would be by their sides if they needed me. Most Oklahomans I meet are friendly, outgoing, and would do all they could to help someone. The people here in this state are one of the reasons we will stay in Oklahoma even though we are retired and can move anywhere we want.

I've been in a tornado before. One hit Duncan on February 2, 1975. Yes, in February! I remember it blowing out the windows of our house, taking off some shingles, and blowing down our new wood fence. We were all in the cellar--well, except for my father who was holding the front door shut. LOL (Mom was furious with him.) After the tornado, we were pelted with so much hail it looked like it had snowed four inches. While it was frightening at the time, I learned to not fear tornadoes but to respect them. I've seen several tornadoes from a distance but haven't been in one since 1975.

When someone voices concern about the tornado threat while living in Oklahoma, I always say yes, tornadoes do happen, but we Okies don't dwell on the threat. I tell them that we have many days of advanced warning of bad weather and the media coverage is excellent. Respect the potential of Oklahoma's weather, but do not fear it. Don't let it stop you from having a good life in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
In my case, I wouldn't live in "Tornado Alley". It's less out of fear of tornadoes and more out of concern that my favorite tv shows and sporting events would be interrupted by necessary "Storm Team Alerts".

Old 06-01-2013, 03:52 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
In my case, I wouldn't live in "Tornado Alley". It's less out of fear of tornadoes and more out of concern that my favorite tv shows and sporting events would be interrupted by necessary "Storm Team Alerts".
You are spot on! Forget about watching network TV when we have bad weather.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
What tv shows???? Thank the gods for online options.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
You are spot on! Forget about watching network TV when we have bad weather.
I've figured out the way to tell if its really that serious. If they show a bit of a show and go back, not so bad. If you see nothing its potentially real bad for someone.

Now to find Dr.Who which had an audio cutout during the really dramatic part.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've figured out the way to tell if its really that serious. If they show a bit of a show and go back, not so bad. If you see nothing its potentially real bad for someone.

Now to find Dr.Who which had an audio cutout during the really dramatic part.
This is no Lie. I was watching the Wheel the other night, and this young lady had the million dollar wedge and a the wild card. She was just going in for the kill when they interrupted the show because of the weather. There was a thunderstorm some where....

Ok, so the next night I am watching ABC World News Tonight and they were getting ready to show the story about this same lady winning the million dollars and guess what happened? There was a thunderstorm somewhere....LOL

Old 06-02-2013, 06:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The good Senator isn't rejecting aid for Moore now. It appears that need is always self-centered.

Oklahoma senators change tune on disaster relief- MSN Money

Because if Oklahomans believe that, and an overwhelming wrote their Senators and Representatives to not accept any Federal aid for the Moore disaster, I would certainly think it foolish, but I'd have a helluva lot more respect for the "pull yourself up by your own bootstaps" political philosopy. Right now it just appears good for someone else.
Since you have a penchant for repeating silly stories from the same silly source, allow me to correct you:

It was the PORK in the Sandy bill the great senators from Oklahoma rejected. PORK! They were 100% for Sandy relief.

See how easy it is? Not everything you read on the internet is true, doncha know. I'm thinking especially something with MSN in the name.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Kansas people are surely the same way. One time when I on a rural western Kansas highway and got sideswiped by a hit and run driver, a farmer was quickly on the scene, called a cop for me, and provided what I needed to patch up the broken window on my car, so I could continue driving back to Oklahoma.

I'm just an unadventurous homebody is why I still live in Oklahoma. California, Colorado, Florida and other supposedly cool states would be too much trouble to call a new home.
Wonderful post! I agree. I'll be in Oklahoma in a couple of days, and I'm looking forward to it. Every time a tornado strikes down one of the towns in Oklahoma or Kansas, it saddens me, but I know they have the strength to recover. Suffering builds character.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deon99 View Post
I find the fact that they want to rebuild wooden houses which are in danger of getting destroyed again and possibly endangering thier familes absurd!
In Mexico, believe it or not, you can't even get homeowner's insurance on a house built out of wood, let alone an apartment building or motel. Not built of concrete, no insurance, plain and simple!

They view structures built out of wood to be candy bars for the termites!

I had a house designed for me in Baja by Arquimex, every iota of that house, interior walls as well, all concrete/earthquake resistant, even the roof which enables you to have a nice rooftop deck to spy on your neighbors! The windows, metal!

And you laugh as the houses that burn up across the Border in Southern California, victims of their notorious, frequent brush fires!

And the lumber companies laugh as well, and laugh all the way to their stockholder's meetings!

Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
I miss Oklahoma something awful... at least I live not too far away in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma