Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,811 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest any small, laid back, safe towns for two eighteen-year-old girls to move to?

We am likely staying with my grandparents in Woodward, Oklahoma this summer until my friend and I can find a nice little place of our own. I would be grateful if anyone could give me some suggestions of little towns that we would be able to get decent jobs and hopefully start our training as RN's and Vet Tech.'s.

We wouldn't mind living in a city if it came to it either, our main thing is safety since we'll be on our own.

Any other little tips any one could tell us would be appreciated as well because neither of us really know that much about oklahoma other than a few trips when I was younger. Thank yall so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I suppose if you were to train as RNs and Vet Techs it would need to be in an area that has those types of schools. The Vet Tech might be easier, but there are plenty of safe areas in OkC or Tulsa that would accommodate you. Myself, I like smaller towns as well but for that type of education/training you may need to look toward a larger municipality. Good luck. Hopefully someone else on here can chime in with words of wisdom.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,811 times
Thank you, and we'll be sure to check into your suggestions.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:13 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Many VT's offer LPN degrees, or go to a community college the first two years. I think OU has one of the best 4 year degree for RN. THere is a huge shortage of nurses and many large hospitals are offering a $5000 sign on bonus plus paying big bucks. But, do NOT make the mistake of going into nursing for the money. It is a field of great honor and compassion.

I think if you google some of the colleges in OK, you would get a good start. I believe OSU would be a good place to get a vet degree. There are a plenty of good vets in OK who would be willing to visit with you. Some vets specialize in dogs/cats, while most of the rural vets take on farm/ranch animals.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 AM

15 posts, read 48,669 times
Default OSU Vet MD

The OSU VMD program has a large bias for in state applicants. Exceptions are New Jersey applicants and Puerto Rico applicants as the state has a contract to provide guaranteed slots for them on a year to year basis pending that they have suitable candidates of course. If you take this route, establish residency in Oklahoma before you start school. I had a Puerto Rican friend who did, and it got her in as a state resident. Also made her tuition much cheaper.

There are three specializations in the OSU VMD program.
Large Animal - Horses, cattle, my friend even worked on a Tiger once.
Small Animal - Dogs, Cats, Weasels, etc...
Exotic Animal - Various reptiles, non-mammilian vertebrates.

Nursing is huge in Oklahoma as far as getting you a suitable job goes. There are several state programs. There is one private program at Tulsa University. If you go LPN first, try a local Vo-Tech. Certified and cheap and it increases your chances of finding some place safer first.

Personally, because I know Tulsa pretty decently, my advice would be to attend Tulsa Community College and take the intro courses there. You could then transfer to OSU-Tulsa and finish up the undergrad courses.

As far as places to live that are safe, try mid town between Utica and 41st street. Bounded by I-244 and I-44. Alternatives would be Catoosa or Broken Arrow (very safe) but jobs would be a little harder to come by although in BA you have Northeastern State University's campus right there.

I really don't know much about a vet-tech program, but suspect one of the local Vo-Techs would cover that need.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM

288 posts, read 917,716 times
Tonkawa is a small town. It has Northern Oklahoma College which offers nursing programs.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Tulsa Community College has a vet tech training program, as does OSU in Stillwater. Is it as hard to get into the vet tech program as it is to get into the program to actually become a vet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma