Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM

653 posts, read 1,778,171 times

Advertisements

[quote=#1soonerfan;30422032]

In my situation, there are definitely things in OK that bug the hell out of me (namely, the crazy weather and the politics). But I grew up a military brat and we were ALWAYS moving when I was a kid. So I've learned to be pretty adaptable to wherever I'm living and embrace the good things while understanding there will be things everywhere I don't like.

With all the people moving here from California, the politics will gradually change.. the weather unfortunately, will not.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,165,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Its funny how to OK to CA movement has now completely reversed. I feel like half of Edmond is from Sacramento. Its really amazing how many people are here from CA, although given how many I've met from inland CA/Central Valley where a lot of the "okie" pioneers settled, I have to think family ties have brought a lot here.

I enjoy city-data but I tend to think of it as just a snapshot of what is happening in reality. Most people who move here are pretty happy, so I don't think this board is reflective of whats going on in real life. With that in mind, most people who move here do their homework and what they are getting themselves into. Unhappy people are the loudest, and that's true wherever. I don't find the complaining on here to be more than a typical city-data board.

In my situation, there are definitely things in OK that bug the hell out of me (namely, the crazy weather and the politics). But I grew up a military brat and we were ALWAYS moving when I was a kid. So I've learned to be pretty adaptable to wherever I'm living and embrace the good things while understanding there will be things everywhere I don't like.

In any event, I doubt I will stay in OK forever, being such a big wanderlust as I am. But I have surprised myself how much I've grown to like it here. I went home to Dallas on the 4th, and on my twitter feed were my friends in OKC hanging out in Bricktown for the 4th (which look packed btw), going to see Beyonce or Garth Brooks/Toby Keith (hows that for a range LOL), having a great time in general. I was sitting in Dallas bored and frankly kind of jealous I was missing out! But OKC (and Tulsa) are becoming special places with a surprising amount of things to do, while still retaining the "Oklahoma Spirit."
My family goes back three generations in socal. During the dust bowl, my grandmother had a table and food ready for anyone who came by who got a hot meal. I don't know what the neighbors thought and since my grandfather had left with no support she may have looked well off but didn't have much money. But she was a truely good person. She and a neighbor also took in the stuff of a JapaneseAmerican neighbor and he 'rented' it and made sure they had money to live off when they were 'relocated'. Mom and grandma and the neighbor were outraged and did what they could to be of help. Some of the people in LA who saw the 'okies' were awful, but there were people who were not too.

I came here as a friend reccomended it. She came from Florida. I had to visit her anyway for some convention work (I did regrestration) and ended up returning as a new resident a few months later. I've never regretted it. This is very different from socal but then that is what I wanted. Yes, the politics is crazy and I'm wiccan so the god stuff doesn't do much for me, but I find I like this place a lot and plan to stay for the long term.

Summers here and in Riverside aren't much different except we don't have smog. Winter I can live with. The tornadoes need to go somewhere else. But weather generally doesn't freak me.

At the July fouth festival this year, I met a few other ex pats from socal who love it here. We aren't going anywhere. Honestly, this is more like the California I grew up in in the newly built San Fernando Valley than socal is now. I think I may not be the only one who feels this way. The thing I see is when someone is willing to accept the whole picture as imperfect but love what you love and expect the same ho hum, then you are giving it a chance and if its right it will stick.

If you expect perfection your guarenteed a fail.

Last edited by nightbird47; 07-12-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,487,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post

With all the people moving here from California, the politics will gradually change.. the weather unfortunately, will not.
Yeah, sure, that was said about the big oil boom days of the late 1970's and early 1980s. Don't think it happened. Democrats raised taxes in response to the bust that happened, and Republicans started to become more and more popular.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 PM

274 posts, read 516,379 times
Quote:
I just returned from Minnesota a couple of weeks back. I was asked several times where I'm from .. gladly said Oklahoma (not originally).. Many of the folks responded " too many tornadoes there!" That seems by far to be the first thing people from other parts of the country think of about Oklahoma... that, and too many rednecks. This state just can't seem to shake those kind of reputations.
Don't try. Because of that reputation most the tax-loving, liberal yankees that are leaving the northeast are heading for SC. Believe me, you don't want them in OK trying to raise all YOUR taxes.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
Don't try. Because of that reputation most the tax-loving, liberal yankees that are leaving the northeast are heading for SC. Believe me, you don't want them in OK trying to raise all YOUR taxes.
More to NC over SC. SC is a retiree haven.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times
It isn't the Yankees that move to Oklahoma that raise your taxes. It is your legislators that raise county taxes, and the boyz in the Play Pen that raise state taxes, and the local government that raises city taxes.

Yankees go to SC so they can pay high personal income tax and be a near the ocean. They have not been in a hurricane - which makes more tornadoes look like a walk in the park by comparison. The worst storm in OK was not as bad as what Rita did to NOLA or what Sandy did to NYC and parts of NJ. An EF5 is bad wherever it hits, but hurricanes are a different animal, and so are the locations where they come ashore. The East Coast and Gulf are primary targets.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 PM

18,147 posts, read 25,683,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Ever heard of Bob Wills and Western Swing? (Not to mention Gene Autry, Merle, and host of other folk/country singers/Native Sons . . . ) How 'bout Reddirt like Cross Canadian Ragweed and Stoney LaRue?

I think our music scene is just fine....history bears that out as well as the many country music singers at the very top of stardom in their preferred industry/genre.
If a music buff wants to talk about the "Mount Rushmore" of country artists, Bob Wills and Gene Autry would certainly be two people on that list.

Then there is an individual who defines folk music. Because he wrote about folks. Sang about folks. Grew up in the Great Depression. Experienced the Dust Bowl Days. Watched his family farm dissipate. He traveled by freight car and done a variety of odd jobs on his way to Los Angeles. And financially barely made it there. He was able to get a job at a radio station there and later had his own radio show.

The town in Oklahoma that sports his name is located maybe 40 miles from Oklahoma City. A long standing folk music festival sports his name.

He is one of the most important musicians-ever. And people from Nancy Griffith to Rambling Jack Elliot to Tom Rush to Pete Seeger to many, many other established folk music artists have said just that in countless interviews I've read. Then there is his son, Arlo!

He defines the genre.

Woody Guthrie.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 PM

778 posts, read 2,312,732 times
Quote:
FWIW I find the local politics in OKC have mellowed out considerably even in the short time I've been here. The same thing on the state level will take a loooong time though.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,440,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If a music buff wants to talk about the "Mount Rushmore" of country artists, Bob Wills and Gene Autry would certainly be two people on that list.

Then there is an individual who defines folk music. Because he wrote about folks. Sang about folks. Grew up in the Great Depression. Experienced the Dust Bowl Days. Watched his family farm dissipate. He traveled by freight car and done a variety of odd jobs on his way to Los Angeles. And financially barely made it there. He was able to get a job at a radio station there and later had his own radio show.

The town in Oklahoma that sports his name is located maybe 40 miles from Oklahoma City. A long standing folk music festival sports his name.

He is one of the most important musicians-ever. And people from Nancy Griffith to Rambling Jack Elliot to Tom Rush to Pete Seeger to many, many other established folk music artists have said just that in countless interviews I've read. Then there is his son, Arlo!

He defines the genre.

Woody Guthrie.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:06 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,186,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
FWIW I find the local politics in OKC have mellowed out considerably even in the short time I've been here. The same thing on the state level will take a loooong time though.
True OKC politics seem to be moderate if only slightly right leaning. There are progressive voices on the city council. I've also noticed the local politicians don't seem to be obsessed with the social issues the state legislature is. The state though as you've said, isn't changing any time soon. It is really still dominated by the rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma