Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,140 times

Advertisements

I had the good forture to drive through Oklahoma today. I stopped in several different places - for breakfast, rest stops, & at the new Starbucks in Perry.

No matter where I stopped, I was absolutely overwhelmed by the friendliness & the old-world manners that the citizens of OK exhibited.

For example, I didn't open one door during my entire trek through OK. Wherever I was, a gentlemen went out of his way to open the door for me. When I stopped at the McDonald's in Perry, I asked the girl behind the counter if they had iced coffees. She said they didn't, but gladly gave me directions to the Starbucks & told me to have a great day, despite the fact that I didn't order anything. Everyone smiled at me as I walked by, and the smiles were genuine! People drove within the speed limits & didn't cut anyone else off.

Are these common/normal occurances? Or did I just happen upon a particularly lucky day?

I was so impressed by the people there that I'm tempted to go back & never leave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:52 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
You forgot to say people "waved" at you. I have noticed that getting "waved at" is very big on these forums!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Thanks for your compliments! It is normal here. Sometimes people do speed though, and in the cities someone might cut you off. Other than that, if you are a lady, men expect to open the door for you, and everyone will smile and speak to you. It is probably because we are all happy here in Oklahoma.

Hi Montanamom!

Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I think Oklahomans were just raised right. But what do I know? I have only lived here a year, and I moved here, not just because of the scenery, which was a big plus because it was always my dream, but because of how friendly the people were. Try walking into a store to buy something and you will have many clerks wanting to help you. If you forget your package they will even run out to give it to you. During the dust bowl, I remember reading this in the book, The Grapes of Wrath, a starving family actually shared their food with others that had nothing.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
Are these common/normal occurances? Or did I just happen upon a particularly lucky day?

I was so impressed by the people there that I'm tempted to go back & never leave!
I've had about 1,300 "Lucky Days" here so far. It really is fairly common and quite normal. I thought I had manners when we moved here, but I've had to polish mine up a bit to match my neighbors!

So glad you had a nice visit!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:33 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Averie, thanks for the kind words. It is normal in Oklahoma, especially in the smaller cities and rural areas that make up most of the state. That's one of the things that I always loved about my home state; the friendliness. Growing up, I had lots of relatives in Denver that would always come to visit us in the summer and they could never get over how friendly everyone was. I hope that friendliness never goes away.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:54 AM

288 posts, read 917,716 times
That's another reason I came back. I love how friendly everyone is. I had really missed that. I was so out of place in Korea because of how I smiled and talked to everyone...I actually was warned time and again to not do that because it is "dangerous" and people (especially men) would "get the wrong idea". So I stopped. Now, I'm finding my smile all over again and using it all the time.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
I can't get over all these posts about how friendly Oklahoma is. Yes, in general it's friendlier but generally you're out in the sticks when all of the things you speak of happen. OKC is nice but nothing at all like a rural area like Perry. It's nice how the people are courteous in those areas but I feel like I'm stepping back in time in those towns. (Not a good thing IMO I'll add.)

Old 11-11-2007, 03:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Considering the state of the world these days, stepping back in time sounds kind of nice sometimes.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Considering the state of the world these days, stepping back in time sounds kind of nice sometimes.
I absolutely agree. Even though in the bigger cities we're constantly surrounded by others, I often feel isolated. To feel comfortable enough to smile and start a conversation is, sadly, not something that occurs often enough these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma