Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,392,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
There's been like 6 pages today. Don't any of you have to work weekends! Sorry in advance for not reading all those pages. But I just thought this was hilarious!
In the last 5 years, I've only worked on a weekend once.

But technically, my time here could be considered work...
Relocation is a big deal and we're trying to research everything to death...

Although I don't consider the time spent here chatting with all the good people to be work.

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:20 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,306,971 times
My husband doesn't want a cat. He says that two dogs is already overkill. We have a lot of feral cats around here and one just had 4 kittens. I feel bad for them. That is one thing that I wish could change in OK, people dumping off animals. I rescued a 6 month old dog this spring, and he got a new home. The Tahlequah Daily Press is sympathic to animals so is always printing stories about them. At least they don't kill animals here, instead people take them into their homes and try to find homes, but some people have so many animals that they don't know what to do.

Now I know if I brought a kitten home it would be okay. He didn't want two dogs, but we got them. Ha.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:29 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,306,971 times
No, I am not working for the Chamber, but if I had my way about it, and of course I would have to be the boss, I would work for the...hmmm, maybe it is the chamber, but I would tell them how to beautify their downtown and would only allow historical buildings to be built. Plus I would make them take those false fronts off the historic buildings in town. Well, that is another story, but ther are a lot of buildings here that I would zap with a zap gun. To which my husband says, "Then people wouldn't have a place to work," but he doesn't understand this fantasy zap gun stuff. You don't look at the future with it.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,587,390 times
Most places in the US go through cycles of prosperity and decline. In OK, we are trying to have enough diversity in our economy to avoid that in the future. In the past we were too dependent on the oil business.

My nephew in Florida has a business much like yours, ComputerGuy. He complains about his clients a lot too.

We have very few people in this state that can help with a Mac computer, so that might be an opportunity. And yes, sometimes they do need fixing! Or, the people that have them need fixing. We even called Computer Nerdz, and they couldn't help.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,809,717 times
Maybe computernerdz were using BUI?

http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~jamchris/Funny_and_misc/redneck_computer.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,918,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Also even when there isn't a storm happening, surges and brownouts can kill or weaken your equipment. You want to be a little wary about that.
We only have the one desktop and use it primarily as backup storage. Everything else is done on notebooks.
Quote:
So are you implying that you're a "good thing"?
Isn't that obvious?
Quote:
When you say "ground line" am I to understand that you're only receiving from the satellite and transmitting via land line? 2-way satellite has been around for over 5 years... I think I'm misunderstood you.
Nope, it is two way....the ground line/land line is the hard wired telephone service......we got rid of it....didn't work here.
Quote:
I have experience with both providers, and they leave a lot to be desired...
But... NH isn't the greatest location to take advantage of satellite.
Whereas we are in a pretty good location. When I get a chance I will run a test and see what the transfer rates are.
Quote:
What kind of speeds do you get out of that?
Will check on that next time I am on the cell card

Quote:
Whereas in OK, you have to take a training course for around $60 and pass a test to get a certificate, then you pay a $100 non-refundable fee fill out an application and from what I've read it can take up to 90 days to get your permit.

Definitely not cheap OR easy compared to NH.
Guess not....I never looked up the NH requirements....no need.

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. We WILL be coming to look at OK after we sell out up here.
Until then, I don't get any time off or vacations. I'm on duty M-F 8am-4pm.

And unless for some unfathomable reason we found the place to be repulsive,
we're about 95% sure we want to live there. I'm pretty sure we won't find it repulsive.
You WILL find things that irritate the hell out of you. but on balance, the pros out weigh the cons. Let us know when you are in the area and we can hook up......I like showing off Oklahoma.
Quote:

What did the folks down the road ever do to you?
Moved in
Quote:
You make it sound like a bad thing....
Maybe you haven't been away from MA long enough...
Don't worry... The effects wear off in 5 - 7 years.
I'm supposed to not be able to stand the wait to see if Romney does to the USA what he did to Mass?

Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
My husband doesn't want a cat. He says that two dogs is already overkill.

Now I know if I brought a kitten home it would be okay. He didn't want two dogs, but we got them. Ha.
Your husband doesn't have a chance.... Does he...

M.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
No, I am not working for the Chamber,
I was starting to get suspicious...
The people here are a LOT nicer than most state forums I've seen.

Quote:
but he doesn't understand this fantasy zap gun stuff. You don't look at the future with it.
Do you think one of those fantasy zap guns would work on my new neighbors?

M.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Most places in the US go through cycles of prosperity and decline. In OK, we are trying to have enough diversity in our economy to avoid that in the future. In the past we were too dependent on the oil business.
Oil biz should be pretty darn good from what they're charging us here...
I still have 2 cords of wood before I have to fill the tank this year.

I hope they succeed in their attempts at diversity.

Quote:
My nephew in Florida has a business much like yours, ComputerGuy. He complains about his clients a lot too.
I wasn't complaining...
I LOVE the finicky clients... They are the most profitable!
The competition could never please them.

Quote:
We have very few people in this state that can help with a Mac computer, so that might be an opportunity. And yes, sometimes they do need fixing! Or, the people that have them need fixing. We even called Computer Nerdz, and they couldn't help.
Peggy... As much as I like you, I'm sorry to say that I'm NOT a MAC guy.
But just like I didn't evangelize y'all on the benefits of Linux, I'll also stay away from the subject of MACS.
(Although if I had a MAC, you can bet I'd bend it to my will just like I do with PCs.)

M.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Maybe computernerdz were using BUI?
Shhhhhhh!!!!

Some of the folks up here would probably like BUI!

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma