Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times

Advertisements

Very good post, Goodpasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I did an appraisal on a beautiful piece of land east of Ponca City a couple of years ago. It was in the rolling hill area just west of Kaw Lake. It was two log houses, one a 2 bedroom one bath, the other a one bedroom one bath MIL cabin on about 40 acres. While we were standing there a flock of turkeys came up to the house to be fed. While the owner was tossing out corn chops for them, I asked how many turkeys he was raising and what breed were they, as they appeared to be a heritage turkey of some sort. When he told me they were wild turkey's he could have blown me over. He did say he does not allow hunting off his porch. North west and south of Ponca the land is prairie and is slightly rolling. Catch it at the right time and you can see the amber waves of grain that you can see on calendars about the wheat country.

I expect the Ponca area economy to be rebounding pretty solidly. (I am not projecting any 20-50 year suggestions, just what I expect to see in my life. I will let the kids worry about their future) Right now there is a working refinery owned by Conoco-Phillips. As we have a lack of refineries in this country, I don't expect it to go off line anytime soon. Further, as grain is being used for alternate energy and corn prices are shooting up due to the ethanol and beef production, I expect those "amber waves of grain" to be converted into cash. ....either as cattle feed, or ethanol or something. Small business appears to be healthy there. There are a couple of nice coffee shops, which would not be the case if people were destitute. Head Country Barbecue Sauce is growing and thriving. Oil in the area is coming back. All those wells that that produced 2 and 3 barrels of oil a day that were capped in the 80's when oil was $13 a barrel are being reworked now that oil is close to $100 a barrel. So there are LOTS of oil patch service companies that are coming back. Electric motor rebuilders, pump rebuilders, salt water separator manufacturers, etc.....all have more work than they can pray over.

Bartlesville is the same way, although there isn't as much prairie there so there isn't the grain. The majority of agriculture around Bartlesville is cattle.

Cushing doesn't have the refineries, but as the crossroad of America's oil pipelines the resurgence of oil has impacted this community as well. I was in Cushing a couple of weeks ago and had lunch at that Italian Restaurant on the east side of town. Excellent service, nice table cloths, decent wine list.....I had smoked salmon ravioli that was incredible. The lobster ravioli was just as good. This kind of restaurant doesn't survive unless the local economy is pretty strong.

In short, most of the surviving oil towns are doing pretty good, and you will find these oil towns beginning with Tulsa in the east and running west to the Texas panhandle.

East of Tulsa is Highway 69. It is the primary non-turnpike and the most direct route from Kansas City to Dallas. That corridor is going to be increasingly important and economically strong. Towns like Miami, Vinita, Pryor, Chouteau, Adair, Wagoner, Muskogee, Checotah, Eufala, McAlester, Atoka, Durant......all are going to benefit from the growth in importance of Highway 69.

Frankly, CG (and others looking at OK), I would find a place I liked, then I would locate the kind of work I can make a living at. I can't think of an area where there is not something going on. and when the people are buying and selling and are economically secure, there is opportunity to earn a living. You may not end up with a lot of cash, but spiritually you will be wealthy beyond your dreams.

Thanks for taking the time to pass all that on. I appreciate it.

And I totally agree with your philosophy.
It's pretty much what we plan to do.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:36 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Frankly, CG (and others looking at OK), I would find a place I liked, then I would locate the kind of work I can make a living at. I can't think of an area where there is not something going on. and when the people are buying and selling and are economically secure, there is opportunity to earn a living. You may not end up with a lot of cash, but spiritually you will be wealthy beyond your dreams.

Thanks, Goodpasture, that is excellent advice. With the various skills/knowledge both DH and I have, I know we can find suitable work. I agree that having a lot of cash is not as important as your spiritual life, and quality of life. That's one of the reasons behind our move. DH is MUCH too stressed with his current job. And if my kids tried to have any kind of a life here in NJ, their work would stress them tremendously, too. Everyone either works 60 hours a week or commutes hours each way. In some cases (like my new nephew-in-law) they do both.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
I did an appraisal on a beautiful piece of land east of Ponca City a couple of years ago. It was in the rolling hill area just west of Kaw Lake. It was two log houses, one a 2 bedroom one bath, the other a one bedroom one bath MIL cabin on about 40 acres. While we were standing there a flock of turkeys came up to the house to be fed. While the owner was tossing out corn chops for them, I asked how many turkeys he was raising and what breed were they, as they appeared to be a heritage turkey of some sort. When he told me they were wild turkey's he could have blown me over. He did say he does not allow hunting off his porch. North west and south of Ponca the land is prairie and is slightly rolling. Catch it at the right time and you can see the amber waves of grain that you can see on calendars about the wheat country.

I expect the Ponca area economy to be rebounding pretty solidly. (I am not projecting any 20-50 year suggestions, just what I expect to see in my life. I will let the kids worry about their future) Right now there is a working refinery owned by Conoco-Phillips. As we have a lack of refineries in this country, I don't expect it to go off line anytime soon. Further, as grain is being used for alternate energy and corn prices are shooting up due to the ethanol and beef production, I expect those "amber waves of grain" to be converted into cash. ....either as cattle feed, or ethanol or something. Small business appears to be healthy there. There are a couple of nice coffee shops, which would not be the case if people were destitute. Head Country Barbecue Sauce is growing and thriving. Oil in the area is coming back. All those wells that that produced 2 and 3 barrels of oil a day that were capped in the 80's when oil was $13 a barrel are being reworked now that oil is close to $100 a barrel. So there are LOTS of oil patch service companies that are coming back. Electric motor rebuilders, pump rebuilders, salt water separator manufacturers, etc.....all have more work than they can pray over.

Bartlesville is the same way, although there isn't as much prairie there so there isn't the grain. The majority of agriculture around Bartlesville is cattle.

Cushing doesn't have the refineries, but as the crossroad of America's oil pipelines the resurgence of oil has impacted this community as well. I was in Cushing a couple of weeks ago and had lunch at that Italian Restaurant on the east side of town. Excellent service, nice table cloths, decent wine list.....I had smoked salmon ravioli that was incredible. The lobster ravioli was just as good. This kind of restaurant doesn't survive unless the local economy is pretty strong.

In short, most of the surviving oil towns are doing pretty good, and you will find these oil towns beginning with Tulsa in the east and running west to the Texas panhandle.

East of Tulsa is Highway 69. It is the primary non-turnpike and the most direct route from Kansas City to Dallas. That corridor is going to be increasingly important and economically strong. Towns like Miami, Vinita, Pryor, Chouteau, Adair, Wagoner, Muskogee, Checotah, Eufala, McAlester, Atoka, Durant......all are going to benefit from the growth in importance of Highway 69.

Excellent post and I agree with everything you said Goodpasture.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:04 AM

Hey kids!

OK made the news up here... In a way I LIKE!
Editorial Comment, Monday 12/31

Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Good article CG. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
I have to admit that I like what Coburn is doing. Too bad he is so alone in fighting big spending by the federal government.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Which is why we need the real "Dr. No" (Ron Paul) to help him out.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 01-02-2008 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 04:30 AM

According to the news, North Eastern OK might have been hit by a few tornadoes...
Any truth to that?
Hope everyone is doing okay.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:47 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
According to the news, North Eastern OK might have been hit by a few tornadoes...
Any truth to that?
Hope everyone is doing okay.
Hey CG, how are YOU doing? Are you feeling better? We sure missed you on the forum. I don't know how much you've been following our posts, but our trip to OKC was successful and we bought a house in Mustang. We're putting our house up for sale this week. How is your house sale going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma