Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times

Advertisements

Hi Anthony,

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
its alright. For artho (whatever cant spell the rest) Except when oklahoma gets to the those times where the tempature likes to rise and falll and change from one extreme to the other.

in april i was working at a tire shop, we reserved a semi for later...after hours. At 5:00 pm it was 78 degrees by 8 o clock when we were finishing up it was snowing....
Sounds a little like where I live now. We have a saying here: "If you don't like the weather... Wait a minute."

Quote:
I forgot to mention one thing about tahlequah. Do you liek hot rods and older vehicles customs and what not?
Every year around sept. 1st (indian nation holiday) we have a big big car show thing. Where people cna run there cars open head (no exhaust) from 6pm to 10 pm. A cop will run out nad cover your tires with water and tell you to do a burnout.... You can race a cop. You can run your drag cars on the roads. you can race all you want. It runs on downing ave, from muskogee street to the shell behind Tahlequah city hospital.
Hmmm... That sure doesn't jibe with another post from you:

Quote:
2. overzealous Oklahoma highway patrol reject we got out here, Rejected for brutaility. there local police and campus...theyll pull you over for anything. And spotlight you whiel driving...wtf
So could you be saying that local police are cooler than the OHP?

Very big even...i have a crappy video of this years event. We get together every friday sat and sun for a small events. Just running up and down the road for hours...sounds boring but when you get, semi truck, dumptruck, etc out there drag racing..its pretty cool. Even 30s hot rods. Rat rods. pickup trucks. Drag bikes...[/quote]

Sounds LOUD.

We have local stock car racing 2 towns away from here...
Did I mention everyone up here is a NASCAR fan?

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 AM

Hi Synopsis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hi computerguy. In a manner of speaking, yes I'm in the field.
You're sounding awfully cryptic...

Quote:
I'm running short on time right now, but I'll DM you with some information later.
Looking forward to it! I'm absolutely interested in the local tech scene.
When I moved to Northern NH, there was a severe lack of locals I could talk shop with. It's the ONLY thing I miss about MA.

Quote:
It looks like you're getting plenty of help, which is good to see. You'll find no better people anywhere than on this OK forum.
It appears that you are correct. If the folk here are representative of the average Okie, it looks like we could be quite happy there.

Thanks for the response,

M.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 AM

Howdy steenveld,

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steenveld View Post
Sounds like you got all the pros already. You could live just about anywhere in central or northeastern OK and be near a big city. Lincoln, Creek and Logan counties would be the best places for OSU, land, cheap property and short distance to cities. The heat in the summer can be bad and the insects are pretty thick. OU is south of the OKC area. South central OK is also beautiful and would fit what your looking for. Just outside the OKC and Tulsa areas would be ideal. Look at some of the city profiles and see what you like. Also, check out oklatravelnet.com for a more indepth look into Oklahoma.
Thanks for all the great info, I appreciate it!

One thing I've learned is that a little surfing can help (a little), but I came here because short of visiting the place (which we will be doing), there's nothing better than talking to real live locals. And the locals I've met here seem like really good people.

Thanks again,

M.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:03 AM

Hi Guthrie Kid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
Oh no Computer Guy... That picture you posted with the mountains in the background is not Guthrie! Someone has put the wrong picture in there by accident. If you expect to find something like that in Guthrie you will be very dissapointed..
Say it ain't so!
Just kidding.
I LOVE my mountains here, but there is more to life than mountains.

Quote:
The closest thing Guthrie has to mountains are these, which are known as the "Bluffs" around here. Someone needs to remove that picture...
Yeah they do! I wonder how many other cities have bogus pics?
Quite frankly the flatness of OK is not a deal breaker...
Still trying to decide if the heat or bugs will be.

Where I live, being called a "Flatlander" is an insult.

Quote:
While I was adding some pictures I thought I would throw these two in, they are photos of Mineral Wells Park where 20,000 free meals will be passed out tomorrow in celebration of our 100th BIRTHDAY!!!!
Thanks for the pics!

M.

BTW... I think Guthrie is on our short-list of places we want to visit when we finally get out there.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Jessaka is really pretty tough. I think she can handle any street in Tahlequah.
That is because I used to live in Berkeley, Ca and hang on on Telegraph Avenue in the early 70s. Actually Tele Ave was pretty tame back then.

Quote:
Glad to see you're still with us!
It appears that you've grown wise in your years.
No, It was too cold to get out and walk.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
So where is this photo that I need to remove?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 AM

152 posts, read 370,251 times
Jessaka,

The picture Computer guy came across is not on a thread but on the "Guthrie" city-data page located here:

Guthrie, Oklahoma (OK) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 AM
A_G

20 posts, read 57,460 times
jive yea. i know. its kinda a cop to cop basis excet NSU police.

Some ohp guys are good guys, others are the kind that were punks in school and found a way to pick on people after highschool.

See through my old work. and my buddys new business, Hes a cookson volunteer firemam, ive met 90% of the cops that patrol western cherokee county. i even know the old director of OHP personally, he now revokes licenses. he revoked mine before he knew me. some of my tickets are total bs, but didnt have time to fight them. But i do have a lead foot.

By knowing them i know what the nsu polices' complex is. its totally true.

youll find nascar nuts around here. Alot of people on the side race dirt track cars and run old school muscle cars at the drag strips.

ill snap some pictures of the area out here in tahlequah today...i might not have them on the interweb by monday. as i basically disappear of the face of the math from friday to sunday...im a kid...LOL

Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 AM
A_G

20 posts, read 57,460 times
i dont mean to scare you but im on the topic of tornadoes from another thread.

The thing about tornadoes it seems we have a large outbreak every few years...may 3rd 1999 was a good example. that brings back alot of memorys.

but anyways. we have them no matter what every year. Like max an f3 which is like 150-200 mph winds. it seems around oklahoma city, ponca city, etc always are getting nailed. Like moore a suburb of okc, i was at my grandmas in moore when this event occured, it was a hit by a F5 tornado on may 3rd, with highest winds ever recorded 318mph. But i can say the edges of tulsa gets hit. But not the heart of the city, not in last 50 years. And the same for tahlequah almost 100 years. SOme people say it was blessed by indians, But if you look a geographical maps. tahlequah looks liek a soup bowl.

I live on the outskirts in peggs about 20 miles north. we havent had any major damage from a tornado since 1921.

so you odnt really haft to worry. We havent had weather like we had that year in 1999 yet so..
yea

i wanted to post some pics of the damages, because i think there interesting.

I think its a suburban...or a long bed chevy pickup. I can tell by the frame.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Okla5b.jpg (broken link)

the storm track. Theres a theory about tornadoes following big power lines...but it seems to be true in some sense

http://www.rogerbondy.com/56781AS+.JPG (broken link)

a mile and a half wide
http://www.kidwell.org/tornado/Collected%20photos/5-3tornado1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kidwell.org/tornado/Collected%20photos/tornadoes3.jpg (broken link)

it just seems for me to look at a car..it sets in...because i just couldnt imagine my f150 flying....

im trying to track down some pics of the rail cars miles from the train station...

only 44 people died..its amazing...

Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 AM

152 posts, read 370,251 times
Also keep this in mind...I have lived here all of my 45 years on earth and have only seen one tornado...it is not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things...

Any way, I am off to the big celebration now!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma