Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
We got quotes from Allied, Bekin and Atlas. We ended up using PODS. They were half the price of the lowest bid we got. They're delivering our 16 foot POD on 2/22. They will pick it up on March 3rd (the day after we leave), and deliver it to Mustang on the 11th. We have until March 22nd to get it emptied.

We're leaving behind a bit of stuff ourselves. We scour the garage sales and house sales for good 2nd hand stuff. Have done that pretty much all our married life. We're not big on new furniture, it just costs too much. So we'll be looking to replace some things when we move. Since we're no longer going by weight, we may take more than we originally planned.
Never heard of PODS.
I'll Google it and see what it is.
Thanks for the tip.

We picked up some nice furniture when we moved here, and we love our bedroom set, but unless we find it cost effective to move our stuff, none of the furniture is irreplaceable so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
From my end [assuming WA is roughly the same distance from OK as NH] a U-Haul is far and away the cheapest. Allied gave me a quote of approx 3,800.00, U-Pack was 1,225.00 - but they said they only deliver to OKC, I'd have to arrange local transport from there, and U-Haul was around 580.00, depending on how many extra days I kept the truck, but they allowed 5 days to load, drive, and unload. That doesn't include gas, though. But the U-Haul also means I won't have to pay extra for transporting myself and my pets, we can ride along.
All the prices you quoted were a LOT cheaper than anything I've seen so far.
Gonna have to check the distances involved between WA - OK and NH - OK.
Heck, your prices aren't much worse than we paid when we moved 2 lousy hours North within the same state.

We're still leaning towards getting rid of most of our stuff....
Chances are, that it won't fit in the first place we get in OK.

I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
All the prices you quoted were a LOT cheaper than anything I've seen so far.
Gonna have to check the distances involved between WA - OK and NH - OK.
Heck, your prices aren't much worse than we paid when we moved 2 lousy hours North within the same state.

We're still leaning towards getting rid of most of our stuff....
Chances are, that it won't fit in the first place we get in OK.

I'm getting tired just thinking about it.
CG, PODS quoted us $2633 for the whole month. The other three main-name movers we contacted were between $4700 and $5300.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Never heard of PODS.
I'll Google it and see what it is.
Thanks for the tip.

We picked up some nice furniture when we moved here, and we love our bedroom set, but unless we find it cost effective to move our stuff, none of the furniture is irreplaceable so...
If you go with PODS, it doesn't go by weight, so how much you bring doesn't matter (unless you can't fit it in the container.)

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
CG, PODS quoted us $2633 for the whole month. The other three main-name movers we contacted were between $4700 and $5300.
All 3 of those quotes are cheaper than what I've seen if we did it ourselves with a truck rental... The heck with that!

I still need to look into what PODS is.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:24 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times
Wink painful awakening

I moved all my stuff for a very reasonable price from Kansas to Oregon-fully loaded 27 foot U haul truck +trailered a van,also loaded.Got 3 miles to the gallon and spent a whole lot more in gas then I budgeted for.Ouch.This time we are buying a travel trailer,putting only the things we can't bear to leave in it,unloading it into a rented locker in OK and living in it while we house hunt.The pets and I will be happier then hunting for a motel that takes pets.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
I moved all my stuff for a very reasonable price from Kansas to Oregon-fully loaded 27 foot U haul truck +trailered a van,also loaded.Got 3 miles to the gallon and spent a whole lot more in gas then I budgeted for.Ouch.This time we are buying a travel trailer,putting only the things we can't bear to leave in it,unloading it into a rented locker in OK and living in it while we house hunt.The pets and I will be happier then hunting for a motel that takes pets.
That's a smart plan, nocoldiron. Where in OK will you be living?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times
Talking checking out OK

Plan to look at the VA in Muskogee and in Fayetteville and start searching from there. Poteau and mountainous area interest us,reduced risk for tornado's and we just like mountains to look at.Taxes in counties may help decision also.Coming from a state with no sales tax means we will have some adjusting!! Oklahoma is still waaay cheaper than OR.There was a small bidding war for a 720 square foot house with 1/3 acre-place had been vacant for sevaral years (50 year old house).Starting out couple got it for 135,000.Down the street from me.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:36 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
I thought about that, I have a 16' trailer that I was going to try to fit everything into, but I decided it would be too much weight. I also thought about trading it for a converted school bus and doing that - there are some very inexpensive ones around here that people have started converting to use as RVs, then got tired of it and bought one, instead. But there's the weight thing, again. And once I got there, I'd have to find a place to park it, and find someone to drive me around to look at places. I decided to sell the camper, that will more than pay for the gas and a couple weeks at a motel. I won't have to worry about finding one that's pet-friendly, either, my dog is a service dog. They have to allow her.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM

A friend of mine has had a few bad experiences with a few Okie
Real Estate people...

Can anyone here recommend one that doesn't s*ck?

T.I.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma