Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,997,619 times

Advertisements

Yes they do.....just some won't admit it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,188,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Yes they do.....just some won't admit it
Uh yeah, I hate it....as do 90% of my friends.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:41 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,405,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
That's because you're 17.

Actually, my musical tastes may be closer to yours than people my own age.
Although I must admit that over the last couple of years, I've developed a taste for Johnny Cash. I've also seen Charlie Daniels when I lived in MA... He's pretty good.

My tastes range from The Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Stones, Aerosmith, Nirvana, STP, AIC, CCR, Marley, Sabbath, Ozzy, Green Day... Well, you get the point.

Thanks for the post,

M.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 11-17-2007 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Additions

Old 11-17-2007, 04:52 AM

Hi Schousse,

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Mike, I moved from Cape Cod to Oklahoma (about 40 miles west of Tulsa) almost 4 years ago. Owned land in Maine as well, just sold t a few months back, with the plan of building and retiring there.

Despite the fact my kids and grandkids live in MA I will never move back there. I love everything about OK (ok, except perhaps the summer heat but that is only a short time).
Sounds like you're adapting to the heat and humidity...
How long does it take to get used to the bugs?
I'm in the White Mountains, and we're not going to see another bug until May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
People are great, cost of living is low, quality of live is high, economy is doing good.
Come on down!!
Sounds like a glowing recommendation... And from a Yankee even.
Any other advice? Any areas you recommend?

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,361,776 times
I don't think you ever get used to the ticks, brown recluse or mosquitoes. But at least here you have other kinds of fabulous bugs that I haven't seen in years, moving here was good for me in that respect too. I love insects like lady bugs, praying mantis, lightening bugs, especially those, walking sticks, and even locusts are interesting and they sing for you all day long. Plus we have grasshoppers. By living in San Diego for many years I have come to believe that they killed everything, even butterflies, which is something else we have that I like.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:14 AM

[quote=jessaka;2022148]I don't think you ever get used to the ticks, brown recluse

I know I wouldn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
or mosquitoes.
Don't like 'em, but they're our state bird here, so we're used to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I love insects like lady bugs, praying mantis, lightening bugs, especially those, walking sticks, and even locusts are interesting and they sing for you all day long. Plus we have grasshoppers. By living in San Diego for many years I have come to believe that they killed everything, even butterflies, which is something else we have that I like.
Can't say I love insects, but "lady bugs, praying mantis, lightening bugs, especially those, walking sticks" are pretty cool with me. Have no experience with locusts, so I have no opinion there.

My rule on insects is this:

OUTDOORS - If they don't bother me, I don't bother them.

INDOORS - With the exception of ladybugs and bees, everything else dies!
(Although I've caught and released a couple of Grey Marbled spiders because they'd make a HUGE mess if I squashed them.

My daughter has a picture of a small one on her photobucket pages:

They get a LOT bigger as a rule. This one was taken in the late spring, by fall they get jumbo size. They tend to stay on their webs and aren't very interested in humans except by accident.

M.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Hi Folks,

As I promised earlier here are some local photos:

This is what the Native Americans called "The Old Man of the Mountain" in Franconia Notch, about 20 minutes from home. It crashed to the ground 2 years ago after centuries of being there. It's still our state symbol:

This is what it looked like the day it fell. We went there about 2 hours after it happened:

This is on the way to work most mornings, about 6 minutes from homeThere's usually less traffic during the week. :

These are all I have on the machine, I have other good ones from the front yard and cooler places that I'll post later if anyone's interested.

M.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
Please do computerguy. That is some beautiful countryside.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,550,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hi Schousse,

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you're adapting to the heat and humidity...
How long does it take to get used to the bugs?
I'm in the White Mountains, and we're not going to see another bug until May.

Sounds like a glowing recommendation... And from a Yankee even.
Any other advice? Any areas you recommend?

Thanks,

M.
Mike, Quite frankly the humidity on Cape Cod is a lot worse than it is here. At least here in the country we don't get too many humid days. And as far as bugs go .... ticks, spiders etc live up north as well. Free range some chickens and guinnea hens and they will keep the bugs down.

Actually, I am an imported yankee ..... I am not even an American Citizen. But I feel much more at home here than I ever did in New England.

I have been all over the state of OK and have seen may off-the-beaten-path areas (I am a real estate appraiser). The combination of access to commerce and green lushness as well as weather and real estate prices, I prefer the Tulsa area. I live about 40 miles west of Tulsa with easy access to the turnpike to Tulsa and OKC and I find that perfect.

Last edited by Annemieke Roell; 11-17-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,997,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
You're just in denial........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma