Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

Here are some Alaska Native pics:

Tanignak Productions INDEX: Wilson McKinley, Stone Table String Band. Alaska Articles, more!

Click on the link to Ouzinkie, that's the first village I went to after I arrived. And halfway through it is a section for Pleasant harbor, that's another one I knew well, and the family that lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Navajo Wisdom

THE BOTTLE OF WINE

For all of us who are married, were married, wish you were married or wish you weren't married, this is something to smile about the next time you see bottle of wine: Sally was driving home from one of her business trips in Northern Arizona when she saw an elderly Navajo woman walking on the side of the road. As the trip was a long and quiet one, she stopped the car and asked the Navajo woman if she would like a ride. With a silent nod of thanks, the woman got into the car. Resuming the journey, Sally tried in vain to make a bit of small talk with the Navajo woman. The old woman just sat silently, looking intently at everything she saw, studying every little detail, until she noticed a brown bag on the seat next to Sally.

"What in bag?" asked the old woman.
Sally looked down at the brown bag and said, "It's a bottle of wine. I got it for my husband."

The Navajo woman was silent for another moment or two. Then speaking with the quiet wisdom of an elder, she said: "Good trade....."
Cute story there Mk, I'm going to have too show it to Bjb123 and I'm sure she'll enjoy it as well.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
I had an interesting experience yesterday. We went to the museum of frontier culture in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. They had a lot of exhibits etc. about the Europeans settling there and it was all very nice and interesting.

There was one exhibit that showed a primitive camp a European would live in when first arriving to claim some of the "free land owned by no one". The lady dressed in period costume was explaining how they would select their new home. They would want land that was part wooded and part cleared. The Indians there had already cleared some of the land for their agriculture, so she said "Of course they would want some of that."

I know she was just reciting from a script, but I just wanted to slap her! I guess I will write them a letter when we get back and explain how insensitive they are.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I had an interesting experience yesterday. We went to the museum of frontier culture in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. They had a lot of exhibits etc. about the Europeans settling there and it was all very nice and interesting.

There was one exhibit that showed a primitive camp a European would live in when first arriving to claim some of the "free land owned by no one". The lady dressed in period costume was explaining how they would select their new home. They would want land that was part wooded and part cleared. The Indians there had already cleared some of the land for their agriculture, so she said "Of course they would want some of that."

I know she was just reciting from a script, but I just wanted to slap her! I guess I will write them a letter when we get back and explain how insensitive they are.
OMG how rude! I sincerely doubt I would have not made a comment when she said that. That kind of attitude really boils my blood! Even if it was a script, didn't she ever listen to what she was saying?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:38 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
They don't listen to what they are saying. We go to a lot of these museums and sites, and usually they will tell how the Native Americans helped them, then just sort of "disappeared" since they were rather inconvenient. They mentioned that the Europeans learned to grow corn from the Indians, and had a neat example of how they would burn a stump to make a device to pound the corn.

I will have to look up and see what tribe lived in that area. Right now I can't remember the town it was in, but I bought a coffee cup there that had the name on it.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

YouTube - kiowa Buffalo Song

Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Virginia Stroud, a member of the Cherokee Nation.

*"Renowned and award-winning American Indian artist Virginia Stroud will be featured in a special show at the Standing Buffalo Indian Art Gallery this spring. The opening reception will be 2 to 6 p.m. Sunday, April 20, and will feature an opportunity to talk to the artist."

*The Norman Transcript - Virginia Stroud show opens Sunday at Standing Buffalo Gallery

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/VirginiaStroudThree-Generations-of-.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Comanche

There is so much of Native American culture that is unknown to the average anglo american. And very little is written, save a few academic anthropological papers hidden away in the dusty archives of academia.

Has anyone heard of "Turning Trees"?

Here is link:

The Storytelling Place | November 2006 | TPW magazine

Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Judge backs broad Indian preference at DOI

Finally, some good news from the Department of the Interior.

Judge backs broad Indian preference at DOI

Indianz.Com > News > Judge backs broad Indian preference at DOI

Oklahoma NDN news:

Oklahoma weighs action on tribal tobacco

Indianz.Com > News > Oklahoma weighs action on tribal tobacco

Last edited by _redbird_; 04-23-2008 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma