Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 AM

10 posts, read 24,683 times

Advertisements

Quick question.....I'm a Yankee looking to possibly move your way. One downside for me is that I love hiking in "hilly" areas, and OK seems to be mostly flat. So my question is - how is the hiking in the eastern part of the state? Also, do the leaves change in the fall?

On a side note, does anyone know any cops in the area? That's the field I'd be looking to go into (7 years on the job currently), and I was just wondering if there was any general information on OK cops and how the job is there for them with pay, benefits, and overall job satisfaction....

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,492 times
Why do you think Eastern Oklahoma is flat? I work mostly in NY, PA and WV and everyone there thinks Oklahoma is flat and featureless. These pictures are taken from various parts of Oklahoma.

[/url]

[/url]
These pictures were taken in SE Oklahoma.

[/url]

[/url][/url][/url]
[/url]

Last edited by okie1962; 10-03-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,988 times
The leaves do change here. Midtown Tulsa is mostly flat having been carved out and flattened by the Arkansas River, but the west, north and south sides are not. There's even good hiking on hills IN Tulsa. Check out the Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Area.

There are lots of hills in and around Tulsa. Lots of lakes and state parks in the area and we have a large metro trail system.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 AM

10 posts, read 24,683 times
Wow! Great Pics! That's a relief - I don't think I could handle flat land as far as the eye could see. Thanks for posting...Where are the first few pictures taken? I'm assuming the eastern part of the state?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,794 times
Yes, for the most part, east and south of OKC are hilly with creeks and lots of trees. I don't know where the photos are from though.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Yes, for the most part, east and south of OKC are hilly with creeks and lots of trees. I don't know where the photos are from though.
The first two pictures were taken in LeFlore County.
3rd picture is Green Leaf State Park in Muskogee County.
4th picture is at Quartz Mountain State Park in SW Oklahoma.
5, 6 and 7 are of the Wichita Mountains in Comanche County.
And 8th was taken at Broken Bow State Park in McCurtain County.

There are more hilly areas all over Oklahoma, the whole state is not flat, that would be Illinois...LOL I drove across Illinois last week, and that place is so flat, I swear to God I could see the back of my head!

Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
The first two pictures were taken in LeFlore County.
3rd picture is Green Leaf State Park in Muskogee County.
4th picture is at Quartz Mountain State Park in SW Oklahoma.
5, 6 and 7 are of the Wichita Mountains in Comanche County.
And 8th was taken at Broken Bow State Park in McCurtain County.

There are more hilly areas all over Oklahoma, the whole state is not flat, that would be Illinois...LOL I drove across Illinois last week, and that place is so flat, I swear to God I could see the back of my head!
Florida probably outdoes all states for being flat. Mississippi tends to be quite flat. When I drove through it, the pine trees were so high and thick it was kinda like driving through a tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma