Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,317 times

Advertisements

I have some questions for residents of Enid, OK, or people who have lived there and know the area well.

1.) What is the best way to find rentals in Enid, OK? Most of their apartment complexes don't even have websites, so I already know I will have to visit each one individually to see what they have to offer. We are really looking for houses though. There are a lot for sale, but rentals seem to be scarce. I checked Craigslist and a couple websites, but am not finding anything. Do you just have to drive around and make calls? Is there a website I am missing? Should I try the local paper? Should I just prepare to buy something, due to lack of options? lol

2.) My husband is in I.T. I know StarTek just reopened in Enid, but am not sure who they now have a contract with. I know they had a contract with AT&T for over a decade, but then closed up rather quickly. Now that they have a new contract, does anyone know who the contract is with, or how long it is? I must admit, jobs are not plentiful in Enid, most do not pay well, and job security is a worry of ours. Are there any other companies we should be looking at? Are there I.T. positions at Vance?

3.) My aunt was a teacher in the Enid, OK school system for many many years, and I know some of the schools are horrible, but I also know they have a new elementary school and one is supposed to be a blue ribbon school. My son starts pre-k next year. What elementary schools should we stay away from?

4.) I have a dog. A good vet recommendation and place to get her groomed would be much appreciated. I'm used to being able to go to a PetCo or PetSmart. Enid doesn't have a pet place like that, do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:09 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,472,899 times
Yeah, you may have to drive around Enid looking out for FOR RENT signs. If Enid doesn't have a Petco, then Stillwater sure does.

I can't provide anything else, other than these two articles on Enid:

Enid hotel shortage means there are few rooms to rent in booming town | News OK

Demand for housing in Enid, OK, isn't sparking new construction | News OK

Old 12-03-2013, 09:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,513,903 times
Enid has a severe housing shortage. It is also not the most attractive of towns. You may want to look outside of the city.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,472,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Enid has a severe housing shortage. It is also not the most attractive of towns. You may want to look outside of the city.
Well, it's true for sure the northeast part of Enid looks weathered and run down. So I hope people don't base all their impression on Enid by driving on the highway that goes through that part of town.

I'd be surprised if the little towns outside of Enid would have suitable housing available, since there has been more oil field work than usual in that part of the state. More jobs in the oil fields has been benefiting Stillwater, too. Stillwater can cope better with more people, since the market there for building new homes and apartments has been stronger than Enid's from past years and still is.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 PM

This is why I was hoping to hear from actual Enid residents. Enid has been my second home since childhood. It is not a new place to me by any means. However, never having lived there as an adult and now looking to move there, there are questions I now have that I never had to consider when just visiting family over the years. Enid is not a bad place to live. Most of my family is there, and some good friends. I don't find Enid, OK to be an unattractive town by any means.

As for housing, there are plenty of houses for sale, including new construction. It's one thing to read about things, but another to actually be there and see what is available. Once again, that is why I came here trying to ask actual residents. Trying to find rentals has been difficult. If someone here knew something I didn't about how to find rentals, I wanted to at least ask to try to make the process easier. Looks likes I will likely have to drive around and look for rental signs, which is okay.

If any Enid residents can answer any of my other questions though, it would be very helpful! Thanks!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 AM

I was sifting through dog groomers and vets in the Enid area today, when I ran across this:

PetSmart joining T.J. Maxx, rue21 in Enid » Featured Story » The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

Enid can be expecting a brand new PetSmart soon! That will be nice!

*Still wondering about jobs in the Enid area. My partner is a Senior Certified Tech (I.T./computer guy). We are trying to find companies in Enid that may have jobs for him. So far we have found 2 tech positions at Staples, and 3 positions at StarTek, along with a few sales tech positions at AT&T as last resorts. If anyone knows of some of the companies there that we should look at, it would be a huge help!

Thanks in advance...

Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, it's true for sure the northeast part of Enid looks weathered and run down. So I hope people don't base all their impression on Enid by driving on the highway that goes through that part of town.
I spend a considerable amount throughout Enid several times a month.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhimsicalBat View Post

As for housing, there are plenty of houses for sale, including new construction. It's one thing to read about things, but another to actually be there and see what is available.
I appraise houses in Enid. I can tell you that there is a housing shortage and that there has been very little new construction there. You ought to talk to some competent realtors there.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 PM

423 posts, read 1,924,484 times
there is a new petsmart or petco (I forget which) right in town. Be prepared to set your clocks back here- see the image below. If you are a non-smoker you will find it very difficult to find any music venues or bars that aren't filled with smoke. Also, if you are a non-christian a lot of people treat you as an outsider so it can be annoying. Other than that there's some nice parks and stuff around the area for biking and sports.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma