Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM

48 posts, read 52,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
It is still private property regardless of urban or rural. But you'd have the possibility of more regulation from the urban entities including possibly HOA.
We have no plan to live in the urban (city or town), subdivision or anywhere but the rural area. Less regulation, the better.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
In Texas, groundwater is owned by the owner of the surface estate. Streams are considered a natural resource owned by the state. Captured rainwater belongs to whoever captured it - because it hasn't had the opportunity to hit a watercourse, ditch, or waterway in order to become a natural resource owned by the state.

Access to groundwater is often regulated by groundwater districts. If you are looking at an area covered by a groundwater district then access to the groundwater will be determined by its rules and implementing statutes.

Generally if you have 10 acres or more there is not a groundwater district in the state that can prohibit you from accessing groundwater for domestic uses at least for an instantaneous pumping rate of 25,000 gpd or less. Less than 10 acres and many groundwater districts can impose more restrictive limits. If you intend to drill a well, you will have to register it (and pay a registration fee). However, whether or not you need a permit is determined by the use of the water and whether you are in a groundwater district. Generally, a permit is not required for ag or for domestic uses although the district may impose restrictions on what falls in these categories. Some districts try to prevent you from having a well by prohibiting a well if you are in the service territory of a water utility.
I was not aware of the information you provided. I thank you.

My only question is: Aside from your 1st paragraph referring to Texas, I am uncertain if your subsequent paragraphs still refer to Texas or Oklahoma. May I ask which?

We'd be looking for a minimum of 20 acres with a purpose of having some livestock, mainly for feeding our family.

Thanx!
Debbie

Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 AM

See my replies in red within your post below. Thanx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Where you live depends a great deal upon WHY you are moving. SOHO, large animal stock, vacation home, new employment? Eastern Oklahoma is lush with greenery and wildlife. It has many sources of water from natural tributary of the Mississippi River river to man-made Grand Lake. From 1-40 south to I-312, and between Eastern Tulsa to the Ozark Mountains in Western Arkansas. Closest large body of water to Texas is the Red River on the OK/TX border. I could be wrong about the names. I don't know who has water rights. Water rights, I think, are a bigger deal in the SW desert areas.

We're looking into moving into a rural area, minimum of 20 acres. Some livestocks, mainly for feeding my family. We want to steer clear of unrealistic regulations. That may be impossible to avoid unrealistic regulations but, we can look for the lesser amount of them. We don't mind paying taxes but, want to avoid paying high taxes (especially high property taxes). With that said, I'm inquiring on the water (riparian) laws on water that rains on my property, drilled well and the pond we may build.

Cost wise OK real estate taxes are cheaper. Texas re taxes are higher because they don't have personal income tax. Eastern OK has many caves, cliffs and hard pan clay. Western OK is like TX; lot of sand and wide open space. How deep you drill for water, or how rocky the land is under the surface is a craps shoot, although surveyors maps in every county will give you an idea. Living in a county is always cheaper than living in a city. In most OK counties you cannot install a well and septic on less than 3/4 acre or 156' x156' square feet. Faith and Politics play a bigger part more so in the South than in the North. I spent many year roaming in the southern United States mostly west of the Mississippi. Oklahoma can be considerably cooler in the summer than in Texas. Texas in 2012 there was one month in Dallas area in which every day but one had temperature 102F-108F. I like 4 seasons.

I like the 4 seasons, too. With one exception, we prefer a shorter winter which would help our youngest daughter who has restrictive airway disease (aka RAD). In her case, it is triggered by consistent extreme cold temperatures.

Thank you for letting me know of the minimum size requirement on drilling well.

Although we are biblically christian family, how exactly does Faith and Politics play in the South? Are they more realistic/unrealistic, pro-nuclear family/anti-nuclear family? Are they more pro-small businesses or more pro-big corporate businesses? Please give me a general idea of they play in the South (I'm assuming southern part of Oklahoma). Thanx.

I am not crazy for large towns, college towns, political towns, or cities dominated by one religion.

We're very similar.

I lived in NE OK and worked from home.
I had everything I needed locally. I was within 2 hours of Tulsa or KC. Five hours would get me to St. Louis or Dallas; 3 to Hot Springs and about 1/2 that to Fayetteville or Branson. If I was bored I could drive around the lake - about 5 hours and stop for awesome BBQ, or take a a lake cruise, or sail, or borrow a power boat. I did all my grocery and I'mpulse shopping at midnight.

Sounds like a doable lifestyle for us. Except I'm not sure about living in the northeast oklahoma. It appears that it's a chillier weather-wise.

OK is okay and it is one of the most unique states you will ever live. If you must have the super large metro area then you want to look at Austin and Dallas.

Nope. No metro area for us. Visiting once a year is one thing, living is a whole different animal.

If internet is very important, do check very carefully. What is available can change from block to block and from one side of the street to the other. Don't depend on the realtor to know; they don't live in the house you want.
Yes, it's important. I'm rather curious about the rural areas regarding internet. I'm not sure how speedy or reliable satellite dish (for internet) would be. We may have to visit my hubby/daughters' father in the city for the internet. Or, build a small business in town/city.

Thank you for your time to reply.

Debbie

Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Debbie how the Internet works is relatively simple. The signal comes from the telephone office (telco plant). The cable signal comes from the headend where the equipment is set up. Cable is often in the same building using the same fiber, but it delivered differently. The closer you are to telco plant/headend, the faster the download, the better the picture. When it gets to the end the Internet is etxremely slow and the cable picture quality is badly degraded. All of this is tied to contracts with state legislatures and cities. By and far the best rural Internet is usually cable. Let me give you an example: I live 50 miles from any town of size ; 10000+. The only thing in between are small farm towns, ranches and farmers. A river divides our two counties. I live in a county seat with hospital, police, sheriff, city and county fire, EMT, city and county services, and courthouse c.. The city across the river is also a county seat. It has no hospital or EMT. In my city I can receive 10/1 from telco and a reliable phone, or I can buy 15/5 and Voip phone, or naked 4/1 from cable. Across the river the best AT&T speed is 6/1 and wireless is 4/1. Comcast will be faster. Both bundle at a cost of $140 up. My county bundles from $70-$200. .

The most important thing to know is POTS, the original phone service is most reliable today. The next most reliable is the telco DSL digital phone - because Internet outage does not affect phone quality. Cable outage has no such failsafe. When the cable is out you have 0 phone service. There is a caveat. The best telco phone service scheme separates the phone from the Internet with a whole house filter. It took six years of arguiing to learn this.

The other thing to understand is by federal law every licensed and registered telephone company in the US must maintain communications. The STATE Commerce Commission has oversight of every public utility: gas, lights, and phone. It has NO oversight of cable, cable phone, cable Internet, phone Internet, or phone TV (U-Verse or Prism). You cannot win the Internet war; pick your wisely. The last thing to understand about Internet and rural living iks very simple. These companies only serve fast speeds to large cities. The odds of your getting FTTH, or speeds such as 45/5 is a pipe dream. If you want to see these kinds of speeds you want to live in Las Vegas, San Diego, Chicago, Dallas, etc.. It may eventually come to Tulsa or OKC. DISH 4G is top speed over 2.5G network and its expensive. Right now the signal is still broadcast from a satellite 22,000 miles away.

I would like to be able to answer your other questions, but unfortunately I cannot read red print as my sight is failing.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Default To linicx

Hi linicx,

Forgive me for not thinking ahead on my choice of color. I didn't see an edit icon for me to change my colors so, I'm copying/pasting here. Please see my original replies in black bold.

I promise to remember to put my replies (within someone's post) in bold. I hope that'll ease your eyes.

Quote:
I would like to be able to answer your other questions, but unfortunately I cannot read red print as my sight is failing.
See my replies in red within your post below. Thanx.

Quote:
Where you live depends a great deal upon WHY you are moving. SOHO, large animal stock, vacation home, new employment? Eastern Oklahoma is lush with greenery and wildlife. It has many sources of water from natural tributary of the Mississippi River river to man-made Grand Lake. From 1-40 south to I-312, and between Eastern Tulsa to the Ozark Mountains in Western Arkansas. Closest large body of water to Texas is the Red River on the OK/TX border. I could be wrong about the names. I don't know who has water rights. Water rights, I think, are a bigger deal in the SW desert areas.

We're looking into moving into a rural area, minimum of 20 acres. Some livestocks, mainly for feeding my family. We want to steer clear of unrealistic regulations. That may be impossible to avoid unrealistic regulations but, we can look for the lesser amount of them. We don't mind paying taxes but, want to avoid paying high taxes (especially high property taxes). With that said, I'm inquiring on the water (riparian) laws on water that rains on my property, drilled well and the pond we may build.

Cost wise OK real estate taxes are cheaper. Texas re taxes are higher because they don't have personal income tax. Eastern OK has many caves, cliffs and hard pan clay. Western OK is like TX; lot of sand and wide open space. How deep you drill for water, or how rocky the land is under the surface is a craps shoot, although surveyors maps in every county will give you an idea. Living in a county is always cheaper than living in a city. In most OK counties you cannot install a well and septic on less than 3/4 acre or 156' x156' square feet. Faith and Politics play a bigger part more so in the South than in the North. I spent many year roaming in the southern United States mostly west of the Mississippi. Oklahoma can be considerably cooler in the summer than in Texas. Texas in 2012 there was one month in Dallas area in which every day but one had temperature 102F-108F. I like 4 seasons.

I like the 4 seasons, too. With one exception, we prefer a shorter winter which would help our youngest daughter who has restrictive airway disease (aka RAD). In her case, it is triggered by consistent extreme cold temperatures.

Thank you for letting me know of the minimum size requirement on drilling well.

Although we are biblically christian family, how exactly does Faith and Politics play in the South? Are they more realistic/unrealistic, pro-nuclear family/anti-nuclear family? Are they more pro-small businesses or more pro-big corporate businesses? Please give me a general idea of they play in the South (I'm assuming southern part of Oklahoma). Thanx.

I am not crazy for large towns, college towns, political towns, or cities dominated by one religion.

We're very similar.

I lived in NE OK and worked from home.
I had everything I needed locally. I was within 2 hours of Tulsa or KC. Five hours would get me to St. Louis or Dallas; 3 to Hot Springs and about 1/2 that to Fayetteville or Branson. If I was bored I could drive around the lake - about 5 hours and stop for awesome BBQ, or take a a lake cruise, or sail, or borrow a power boat. I did all my grocery and I'mpulse shopping at midnight.

Sounds like a doable lifestyle for us. Except I'm not sure about living in the northeast oklahoma. It appears that it's a chillier weather-wise.

OK is okay and it is one of the most unique states you will ever live. If you must have the super large metro area then you want to look at Austin and Dallas.

Nope. No metro area for us. Visiting once a year is one thing, living is a whole different animal.

If internet is very important, do check very carefully. What is available can change from block to block and from one side of the street to the other. Don't depend on the realtor to know; they don't live in the house you want.
Yes, it's important. I'm rather curious about the rural areas regarding internet. I'm not sure how speedy or reliable satellite dish (for internet) would be. We may have to visit my hubby/daughters' father in the city for the internet. Or, build a small business in town/city.

Thank you for your time to reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: