U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,492,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just arrived from California a couple of weeks ago and hope that the people who love California the way it is stay home. I have had neighbors come over and help with the house without wanting money (bought them groceries anyway), everyone has been friendly and there is actual open space. My apartment when I left had about a third empties as they were clearing out anyone low income (which would be rich here) and the druggies were moving in unofficially by droves. I am so happy to live in a place where everyone isn't in a race to be there yesterday, except for those who aren't, and where you can find trees and grass without it being a city park.

The state I grew up in and am a third generation native of has changed beyond recognition and there is a reason that they are having negative population growth including the illegals. I'm perfectly happy if the neighbors don't keep the place pristine. Riverside has so many rules that some of them actually contridict each other.

I did research and visited before I moved, but the three months inbetween were a trial. If this becomes a really popular destination I'll have to start telling people how awful it is lol. Of course that I'm here with no plans to go mean it probably won't work.

I don't think Ok will ever become California because the jobs aren't here and the alure can't compete. People will move anywhere right now to get away from the absurd prices for housing etc but have to work too. And that old steriotype still is there.... Most people who weren't familiar with the state had the stammering, but why would you do that look.

I am very happy with the way it is, and will not be complaining.

The big quake is coming in Ca, especially socal, and without power and water and food for a great while when the grid goes nobody will be complaning that there is a dead car in the neighbors driveway anymore.
You've been on the "Immigration" forum haven't you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,466,916 times
Quote:
Just arrived from California a couple of weeks ago and hope that the people who love California the way it is stay home. I have had neighbors come over and help with the house without wanting money (bought them groceries anyway), everyone has been friendly and there is actual open space. My apartment when I left had about a third empties as they were clearing out anyone low income (which would be rich here) and the druggies were moving in unofficially by droves. I am so happy to live in a place where everyone isn't in a race to be there yesterday, except for those who aren't, and where you can find trees and grass without it being a city park.

The state I grew up in and am a third generation native of has changed beyond recognition and there is a reason that they are having negative population growth including the illegals. I'm perfectly happy if the neighbors don't keep the place pristine. Riverside has so many rules that some of them actually contridict each other.

I did research and visited before I moved, but the three months inbetween were a trial. If this becomes a really popular destination I'll have to start telling people how awful it is lol. Of course that I'm here with no plans to go mean it probably won't work.

I don't think Ok will ever become California because the jobs aren't here and the alure can't compete. People will move anywhere right now to get away from the absurd prices for housing etc but have to work too. And that old steriotype still is there.... Most people who weren't familiar with the state had the stammering, but why would you do that look.

I am very happy with the way it is, and will not be complaining.

The big quake is coming in Ca, especially socal, and without power and water and food for a great while when the grid goes nobody will be complaning that there is a dead car in the neighbors driveway anymore.
Hi Nightbird, welcome to Oklahoma and the OK forum, we've been waitin' for ya.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,178,565 times
Quote:
....... If this becomes a really popular destination I'll have to start telling people how awful it is lol.
I do that all the time already.

Quote:
Most people who weren't familiar with the state had the stammering, but why would you do that look.
I generally tell them that I have some really cute first cousins, and that going to church all weekend just gets the week watching Springer off to a good start...............

Too bad I don't have your number. I had an Italian sausage sandwich tonight at the Tuscany. Schousse and I could have used the company.........

Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM

14,545 posts, read 20,146,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You've been on the "Immigration" forum haven't you?
No but if this is the one about the legal/illegal kind, I've probably avoided it. Kinda miss having to vent a little every day.

But now you've got me intrigued, been addicted since the first bbs days to these things.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Hi Nightbird, welcome to Oklahoma and the OK forum, we've been waitin' for ya.
Thanks much. The furries and I are very glad to be here. I'll be sticking around the forum. The commentary here helped cement my decision to move here and there are still lots of things to learn. And its a very friendly place.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I do that all the time already.

I generally tell them that I have some really cute first cousins, and that going to church all weekend just gets the week watching Springer off to a good start...............

Too bad I don't have your number. I had an Italian sausage sandwich tonight at the Tuscany. Schousse and I could have used the company.........
LOL I'll have to come up with something good. Haven't made the Tuscany yet. Definately have to try it out. I love my big kitchen too.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,579,560 times
Welcome to Oklahoma nightbird. I live in Texas but was born and raised in Southeastern Oklahoma. You should visit the Ouachita mountains sometime; beautiful.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,572 times
It has been 5 years since the last entry on this thread - I wonder what the people would say now? For me, the 4 plus months of over 100 degree temperatures, definitely puts a new spin on things !
A harbinger of things to come? (thanks to global warming)

Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM

31,008 posts, read 19,685,720 times
I guess we gotta keep our fingers crossed that Sen. Inhofe's claims that global warming is nothing but a hoax really is true. Because if this drought keeps up every year, presumably caused by global warming, more and more Oklahoma towns are going to have water shortages every year.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:32 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,499,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomaborn View Post
It has been 5 years since the last entry on this thread - I wonder what the people would say now? For me, the 4 plus months of over 100 degree temperatures, definitely puts a new spin on things !
A harbinger of things to come? (thanks to global warming)
Well to be fair there is a fairly strong La Nina that has been affecting weather patterns since 2011. Its likely that is partially responsible for the ordinarily hot and dry summers of 2011 and 2012. The 2000s had several years of quite mild and wet summers. I wouldn't get too worked up until there are a few more summers like the last two back to back. There have been other periods of brutally hot summers in OK history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma