U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM

13,387 posts, read 18,505,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
By this definition I am a tree hugger. I want a clean Illinois River, clean drinking water, clean air. I want forests not to be cut down. I want to save the birds and and other little creatures. Doesn't everyone?
Speaking of trees, Not only was I raised on a dairy farm, but on week ends we cut trees for the forestry. We hauled logs to a paper mill on Lake Michigan.
Does anyone know what a paper mill smells like? If you don't your lucky, this is a distinctive (metallic) smell that you'll remember for the rest of your life. The oder (from the smoke/steam stack) could be picked up for miles away!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,256,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Does anyone know what a paper mill smells like? If you don't your lucky, this is a distinctive (metallic) smell that you'll remember for the rest of your life. The oder (from the smoke/steam stack) could be picked up for miles away!
Yes, I've had the pleasure(?) of experiencing 2 of them depending on where my job took me... Both are closed as of this year though. (Groveton and Berlin/Gorham)

I think it smelled more like rotten eggs or catalytic converter times 20.

M.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,505,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Yes, I've had the pleasure(?) of experiencing 2 of them depending on where my job took me... Both are closed as of this year though. (Groveton and Berlin/Gorham)

I think it smelled more like rotten eggs or catalytic converter times 20.

M.
Quote:
Groveton and Berlin/Gorham
Germany? WOW!!
Rotten eggs is a better discription.
These days, with all of the "EPA Regulations" I doubt that it was nearly as bad. This was the 60's. I remember coming over a hill and driving right into a cloud of steam from the stack.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:00 PM

169 posts, read 556,111 times
Default Oh, not a problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yes, you have to give up rooting for Ohio State and become assimilated with the Sooner Nation...
Good Lord! I was out of the loop for a couple of days & look at the posts on this thread.
Synopsis, rooting for OSU (Oklahoma, OSU) shouldn't be a problem. I'm really not a huge Buckeye fan as it is. I sure would like to go to some rodeos though. Love those horses!
Peggy, I've been practicing the song. Be thankful you guys can't hear me Will there be a pop quiz later?
And for ComputerGuy, boy, the statement you made re:Ohio being a communist state, that was interesting. I've heard that comment made quite a bit around here lately. Even we Ohio residents agree with that.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:56 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,226,643 times
People in the United States wanted the Indians to learn to speak English and assimilate into white society. Sounds kind of familiar today.

Every now and then I still hear someone say that the Indians had no concept of ownership of land. What a crock. Why did they fight to keep their boundaries?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 PM

31,007 posts, read 19,721,513 times
Originally Posted by jessaka
By this definition I am a tree hugger. I want a clean Illinois River, clean drinking water, clean air. I want forests not to be cut down. I want to save the birds and and other little creatures. Doesn't everyone?

To that StillwaterTownie comments:
No, not everyone does in Oklahoma, especially the Republicans for in their 2007 platform they state in not only one but two places that animal waste should not be labeled as hazardous. If you ask me, Oklahoma Republicans want to get too close with what the big time chicken, cow and hog farming operations want. Unless you don't care about clean Oklahoma lakes and streams, please don't vote for any Republicans for the Oklahoma Legislature in 2008. At the very least, if you're thinking about voting for a Republican, be sure to ask him or her this question and only accept a resounding NO!:

"Are you in agreement with your party's statements in its 2007 platform that animal waste should not be labeled as hazardous?"

Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,226,643 times
I'm with you StillwaterTownie. These large operations that only think about how to make a dollar need to find ways to keep these wastes from polluting our water.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,531,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I'm with you StillwaterTownie. These large operations that only think about how to make a dollar need to find ways to keep these wastes from polluting our water.
Most certainly. Oklahomas nicest lakes have been tainted by chicken waste that trickles down from Ar-Kansas. Thanks Tyson chicken for giving us a bad stereotype.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Germany? WOW!!
Rotten eggs is a better discription.
These days, with all of the "EPA Regulations" I doubt that it was nearly as bad. This was the 60's. I remember coming over a hill and driving right into a cloud of steam from the stack.
No, no, no....

Groveton, NH, Berlin, NH and Gorham, NH.
(I need to remember I'm on an "international" forum.)

The mill in Groveton wasn't too bad, you didn't have to cover your face and blast through town at all due speed...

Now the Berlin mill was another story, I never really got to see Berlin because we were always in a hurry to get out of there before anyone puked. I did finally get to enjoy its finer aspects after the mill closed though.

M.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
And for ComputerGuy, boy, the statement you made re:Ohio being a communist state, that was interesting. I've heard that comment made quite a bit around here lately. Even we Ohio residents agree with that.
I'm sure I could have stated my sentiments in a more discrete way...
(I need to remember I'm on an "international" forum.)

When we were looking at places to relocate to, we found a lot of nice looking, inexpensive properties in OH, but I had a look at the laws there, and decided I wouldn't live there even if the house was free.

That was one of the many reasons I left MA.

Now that I'm hearing it from someone who actually lives in OH, I feel a lot better about my decision.

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma