Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,802,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Looks like you have passed the first part of the screening process, bjb123.
I agree Peggy. bjb123 you've got the idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:27 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
Yes, for us Synopsis pretty much hit the nail on the head with his reply. We are tired of the rat race, or I like to call it the hamster wheel, here in Northern OH. We are looking to simplify our lives. We'd like to purchase an existing house, or, maybe a tiny farm. We have a few years until we retire (dawgone-it!) but, we are looking ahead to the future. My husband was stationed in Oklahoma years ago when he was in the Army. He always mentions the good quality of people who lived there & how nice they were. I grew-up in rural SE Ohio (in the hills) - my husband was a farm boy. Another thing for us too is we're getting tired of dealing with such snowy winters. We love 4 seasons but, this snow can be so much work.
In my opinion, I wouldn't think there would be a big rush for people to move to OK. What very few people I've talked to about our possibly moving there look at me as if I'm crazy or they have a discouraging comment. You know what? I'm not telling them anything differently. We're keeping this secret to ourselves.
That's exactly the response I get here in New Jersey when I mention we're moving to Oklahoma in January. It's always exactly the same. Me: We're moving out of the state at the end of January. Them: Oh, really, where are you going? Me: Oklahoma. pause, pause, pause, eyebrows lift up to hairline and then::::Oklahoma!!!!!???? Why Oklahoma? I just smile and say I did research and it looks like the best place for my family. It's almost become a game.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:42 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,084 times
That's funny Colleen. They probably think you will have to live in a teepee, and take the buckboard to town.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

169 posts, read 578,397 times
Default I know what you mean.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
That's exactly the response I get here in New Jersey when I mention we're moving to Oklahoma in January. It's always exactly the same. Me: We're moving out of the state at the end of January. Them: Oh, really, where are you going? Me: Oklahoma. pause, pause, pause, eyebrows lift up to hairline and then::::Oklahoma!!!!!???? Why Oklahoma? I just smile and say I did research and it looks like the best place for my family. It's almost become a game.
Yes, I've gotten the OKLAHOMA !!! response too. How funny. I think I've had a few comments on the heat, tornadoes & flat terrain. (Which is funny since it's flat in this part of Ohio & we do get tornadoes here & it's certainly humid here.) Oh well, it's their loss....we know different. Good luck on your move. I hope you'll keep us posted.

Thanks Synopsis & Peggy! By the way, Peggy, can you give me a hint what the second part of the screening process is?

Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb123 View Post
Yes, I've gotten the OKLAHOMA !!! response too. How funny. I think I've had a few comments on the heat, tornadoes & flat terrain. (Which is funny since it's flat in this part of Ohio & we do get tornadoes here & it's certainly humid here.) Oh well, it's their loss....we know different. Good luck on your move. I hope you'll keep us posted.

Thanks Synopsis & Peggy! By the way, Peggy, can you give me a hint what the second part of the screening process is?
Yes, you have to give up rooting for Ohio State and become assimilated with the Sooner Nation...

Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,762,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
That's funny Colleen. They probably think you will have to live in a teepee, and take the buckboard to town.

You mean I don't?

Old 11-27-2007, 04:06 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,390,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Computer Guy, You passed the screening process long ago.
Really???????
YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I've only been here for 2 weeks!!!!!

THANKS! O BENEVOLENT FOLKS OF OK!!!

Now I should probably learn the lyrics of that song they sing in the famous musical...
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes drifting down the plain!

I REALLY can't wait to see our (most likely) new home!

M.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I get the SAME response from the very few people I've told...

BUT... That's okay... If EVERYONE thought OK was so good a choice, they'd all go there first and ruin it for the rest of us.

M.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Really???????
YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I've only been here for 2 weeks!!!!!

THANKS! O BENEVOLENT FOLKS OF OK!!!

Now I should probably learn the lyrics of that song they sing in the famous musical...
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes drifting down the plain!

I REALLY can't wait to see our (most likely) new home!

M.
SWEEPING... Where the wind comes SWEEPING down the plain! I'll have to put you on probation for that one..

Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
SWEEPING... Where the wind comes SWEEPING down the plain! I'll have to put you on probation for that one..
Oooops!!!!!
It's a good thing it's not as easy to remove rep points as it is to add them.... Whew!

Oh children of OK.... Please forgive this lowly foreigner!

But on the bright side... I learned the correct lyrics of the first line, and I might sound a little less goofy in the future.

Besides... "drifting" did sound a little weak.

(CG stands corrected!)

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma