Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times

Advertisements

I've been saying many threads on here lately of people considering moving to our state. It's been growing steadily for many years, although mostly just in the metro areas. Are people finally realizing what a good life we have down here or is the fact we're on the edge of the Sun Belt that has people coming here?

I ask this because growing up here you're told by the rest of the country that you're pointless and worthless and that there's nothing but dust and tumbleweed out here. You'll hear stuff said like, "Kansas and Oklahoma, what's the difference?" But lately it seems like everyone wants to leave those "glamorous" places for "unglamorous" Oklahoma.

I'm 17, so believe me I'm all pro-growth and such, but there's something about the generally simplicity of Oklahoma that I love and would want my kids to experience as well. The fact that you can build a brand new 2,000 sq ft house on an acre of land, 10 minutes from the city for under $250k.

So is Oklahoma just going to turn into a Texas while truck loads of transplants? Will it continue growing? Will it stay the same? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I understand your concern. I think a lot of the growth is coming from the outrageous land and home prices in other states. Also, I think a lot of people are frankly tired of the rude, rat race mentality that has come into being in their home states and they are looking to simplify things somewhat. I certainly hope that all of the people coming to Oklahoma don't change it from what it is, but I suppose in time it will happen; we can only hope that it's way, way, way down the road.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:35 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I like new people coming in to experience Oklahoma as I have, but at the same time I don't like the large houses being built. They are doing the same in Calfornia and have been for years. And I hate to see farm land turning into tract homes.

I think the economy here is bad enough to prevent too many people from coming. I think most people that come here are retirees, but I could be wrong. I read that 4,000 people a week are moving to the coastal lareas, and I can't imagine that many people moving here in a year, but what do I know?

I think our bad reputation of being "Okies" in a negative sense keep many from moving here. I know when I grew up and lived in CA being from Oklahoma or Arkansas was negative, as if you were not smart and were dirt poor. I can hear my mom saying when I was young, "You look like a dumb Okie." And yet, some in her family were from here. I wonder what she would say if she were alive today, knowing that I live in Oklahoma? When I told people where we were moving, they gasped. This is a good thing. It may slow down growth.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
That's why we want to use the Goodpasture method of presenting this great state. Maybe from now on all I will say is bad things about Oklahoma and post that way on other forums. No, that probably wouldn't work as I'd be lying, but hey it's worth a thought!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I think we just need to screen people to see if they are worthy of coming here, and if not, then we direct them to my Bugs and other Scary Things thread. I know my own brother would never move here because of the bugs, but he is a good person.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 PM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
Quote:
That's why we want to use the Goodpasture method of presenting this great state. Maybe from now on all I will say is bad things about Oklahoma and post that way on other forums. That's why we want to use the Goodpasture method of presenting this great state. Maybe from now on all I will say is bad things about Oklahoma and post that way on other forums. No, that probably wouldn't work as I'd be lying, but hey it's worth a thought! but hey it's worth a thought!
You're right, it wouldn't work for anyone who has ever lived there or done their homework and looked at the wonderful pictures here on this forum. I would take drastic measures to make me turn away from my life long dream.

Quote:
Quote:
I think we just need to screen people to see if they are worthy of coming here, and if not, then we direct them to my Bugs and other Scary Things thread.
I know my own brother would never move here because of the bugs, but he is a good person.

I'm confident I would pass your test and bugs can be taken care of by the Orkin man.

Besides, I have never met a person from OK who was selfish or unfriendly.
I've been called an Okie all my life and it has never bothered me. No one ever called me that in a mean way and I am very proud people think of me as an Okie.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
I think a lot of people move here to retire, but a lot are moving here because they have new employment here. I doubt whether our population will break 4 million in the next 20 years, though.

If people believe all the negative stereotypes about Oklahoma, they should not move here anyway. So we should all keep up the negative stereotypes, and then we can keep the narrow minded people out.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM

402 posts, read 1,061,252 times
Quote:
So we should all keep up the negative stereotypes, and then we can keep the narrow minded people out.
That is a good idea. People, Like myself, who truly love Oklahoma will still follow their dream. You have no idea how hard I tried to convince DH to move to OK instead on NM. At least he didn't insist on going back to his home state of PA. I was there one time and though it is a beautiful state it just did not grab my heart.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I've been saying many threads on here lately of people considering moving to our state. It's been growing steadily for many years, although mostly just in the metro areas. Are people finally realizing what a good life we have down here or is the fact we're on the edge of the Sun Belt that has people coming here?

I ask this because growing up here you're told by the rest of the country that you're pointless and worthless and that there's nothing but dust and tumbleweed out here. You'll hear stuff said like, "Kansas and Oklahoma, what's the difference?" But lately it seems like everyone wants to leave those "glamorous" places for "unglamorous" Oklahoma.

I'm 17, so believe me I'm all pro-growth and such, but there's something about the generally simplicity of Oklahoma that I love and would want my kids to experience as well. The fact that you can build a brand new 2,000 sq ft house on an acre of land, 10 minutes from the city for under $250k.

So is Oklahoma just going to turn into a Texas while truck loads of transplants? Will it continue growing? Will it stay the same? What do you think?
We had that actual event happen in rural NH over the last few years...
That's why we're looking at OK.

If you look at my thread (//www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...kay-us-30.html)... You'll see that I asked all you Okies to make OK sound perfectly awful to outsiders...
I don't want it to get spoiled anymore than you locals... Otherwise, I'd stay in NH.

BTW... That's a VERY mature outlook for a 17 year old... I commend both you and your parents....

I promise NOT to try to change anything when I get there.
(Otherwise I'd just stay in NH.)

M.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:32 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I think we just need to screen people to see if they are worthy of coming here, and if not, then we direct them to my Bugs and other Scary Things thread.
Yes, I agree with you all on this...

Sure hope I end up passing the screening process....
(BTW... I read that thread, and I'm still looking towards OK.)

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma