Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma's Regional Identity
The South 31 46.27%
The Southwest 23 34.33%
The Midwest 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly Anglo Saxon or a mixture of English, Irish and Scottish, so surprised, so many people in Oklahoma are of German origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 PM

374 posts, read 806,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy11 View Post
I'm talking about REGIONAL identity. This thread is about regional which pertains to geographical location. I know there's a southern dialect in this state. Regional =/= cultural. Culturally southern. Geographically southwestern. Same thing with Texas.

johnspecial, here's the definition of Regional Identity:
Identification with a specific geographic region of a nation.

And the thing about American human migration, everybody in the US knows that.

I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life so I know quite a bit about this state, thank you very much. Those "not official region maps" are from teaching websites, one being National Geographic. So I'm going to side with them on this one.
Oklahoma is geographically south central. The 100th meridian is the true divider between east and west....Not the Mississippi River. Most of Oklahoma falls into the eastern half of the country and over half of the state lies in the eastern woodlands. We are not geographically southwestern...

...and we all know "teaching websites" are correct... Here's another
PEMS Homework: Social Studies 8

Oklahoma is not in the same region as Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. I'm sorry. I lived in AZ and can tell you they thought my accent was very "different" You can pretend they are correct, but they are not. Where Okies come up with this ridiculous stuff is beyond. We are southerners. Accept it.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM

69 posts, read 128,359 times
That site doesn't even mention the southwest. Some people are going to say Oklahoma's in the southwest. Accept that.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:22 PM

374 posts, read 806,988 times
Quote:
That site doesn't even mention the southwest. Some people are going to say Oklahoma's in the southwest. Accept that.
Go spend some time in Arizona and see if you are in the same region. Culturally, politically, geographically and spiritually, Oklahoma belongs in the southern United States.

Not a lot of adobe and Socorro cacti in the Sooner State.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Politically, Arizona and Oklahoma are both conservative. Oklahoma does have a small desert, but it's not as arid as New Mexico and Arizona. But geographically, it is in the southwest.

Last edited by artsy11; 01-26-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Yeh, I can see that too.

Technically, Oklahoma is in the South Central United States, but most folks (not even in Oklahoma) are taught this in school as it should be. For example, in grammar school (in Central Oklahoma) my classmates and I were taught that Oklahoma was the Old Southwest along with Texas/Arkansas (I think Louisiana was included but the teacher did not talk about that as much). My teacher was trying to show that these states were still a part of the overarching South, but also different in some ways....a western extension or boundary of the South.

Hence, I think the Southwest designation is probably the next best option even though much of Oklahoma (and by extension, Texas/Arkansas) does not carry a lot of the topographical traits of New Mexico and Arizona = southern West not the Western South of OK/TX/AR. Clearly, as has been shown in this thread, Oklahoma does not lie in the Midwest. That is one Okies should refute at face value because it is so off-base from the historically and geographically (Michigan/Whiskey/MN/Ohio/IL/KS/Misery/Indiana, etc.) understanding of the Midwest. If people would like to magically place Oklahoma in the Midwest, they'll have to rewrite our history, the majority of our cultural affiliations, and social norms...not to mention petition the Census.

I like to think of Oklahoma as a blending of Southern and Southwestern (and bit of Western too) cultures with the Southernness carrying the lion-share of influence. I don't see the geographical affinity with OK/TX versus NM/AR as much, but I do think there is some cultural overlap. Again, OK/TX (maybe AR) are the SOUTHwest while NM/AZ are the SouthWEST. There is a difference, but maybe not as much as some would like to assert.

I still think SouthXSouthwest (along with South-Central/Western-South but no one says these even though they're much closer to accurate) is the best overall designation.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
I think SouthXSouthwest fits us pretty well to.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post

Me too, Friend!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:54 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,014 times
does Oklahoma relate more to Denver, Dallas or Kansas City for other professional sports and stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma