Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,616 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Lawton for a 3 month internship this summer and need to find a place to live, preferably furnished. I have only been able to find a handful of apartments available and have gotten conflicting information about which side of town is safer. Since I will be unable to visit before signing a lease, I'm looking for anyone to reply with knowledge of the safety and upkeep of Regency Apartments (20 NW Mission Blvd.), Paragon (5348 NW Cache Rd.), Rosebrook (3132 NW Cache Rd.), Ross Estates (7301 SW Lee Rd.) or the Cameron University area including Sheridan Square (402 NW Sheridan Rd.). I am open to any other suggestions, as well. I have also tried some nearby cities, but can't find any 3 month leases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 01:35 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I can only address one of these places in terms of actually being familiar with the complex and that is Sheridan Square. I can address the parts of town on the others.

Sheridan Square is centrally located and is somewhat old but the upkeep seems to be ok. It seems to be a bit congested in that it has a pretty high density of units on the grounds. It's also hard to turn north on Sheridan out of there with traffic.

As for the other ones. Regency Apts (NW Mission) looks to be on the edge of an older middle class neighborhood. I can't really speak to the apartments but that is a nice spot in that it is kind of isolated from the other neighborhoods with some buffer space to the south and west. There is not a lot of retail immediate to that area but it is reasonably accessible.

The ones on Cache Road are on the busiest east west thoroughfare in Lawton. Most of the strip center retail is located in that area. I would assume these apartments would be ok if you don't mind being in the middle of a busy commercial area.

The Ross Estates on on SW Lee Road appears to be on the southwest edge of town. As a rule of thumb, the further west you go in Lawton the nicer it is, however this area is pretty much in the southwest corner of town. Probably quieter than anywhere else on your list. There is not much retail or commercial out there but you have the advantage in that Lee Road is easily the fastest east west road in Lawton (with the exception of Rogers Lane on the north edge of Lawton). Lee Road can get you into most of Lawton fairly quickly unless you are going to the base.

The good news is that none of these locations are bad in terms of where they are in town. And there are some rough areas in town!!

It would be good to know where you are going to work because Lawton traffic during commute times can be pretty cumbersome. Not traffic jammy but somewhat backed up with long waits at lights and things.

Sluggo who posts on here lives down there. Maybe he can speak to your concerns.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:14 AM

Thank you for the helpful information. I will be working at the Goodyear plant so maybe you can add more insight about the drive. Would some of these places require me to drive through the rougher parts of town? Also found an opening at Willow Park (6701 NW Maple Dr.) if you have any comments about that area or complex. I appreciate your time!

Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 PM

I would think the Willow Park (NW Maple Drive) would be fine. If you are going to be at Goodyear (SW of town) I would pick between the Ross Estates on or Willow Park. Ross Estates would be closer. Willow Park would be a little more convenient to amenities. Between those two I'd pick the better place or the better deal.

Neither place would take you through any bad neighborhoods. You'd be commuting through the better parts of town.

And none of the main streets in Lawton are really dangerous in terms of getting assaulted or anything. There are just some neighborhoods that you wouldn't want to be living in. If you stay on the main roads you would be fine.

Be forwarned. Lawton is pretty stark and junky looking, but the Wichita mountains are uniquely beautiful especially for this part of the world.

Another thing I like about Lawton is that the food scene is pretty diverse for a town in this part of the country. This is due to it being an Army town. There are more ethnic places than you might otherwise expect.

Again, I hope Sluggo sees this thread. You could maybe get more nuanced answers from him.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
I never knew the places on Lee were called Ross Estates, I always knew them as the place across from Scooters (country bar/club). They seem very nice, I'd live there. (I live off of Lee myself but way west of Goodyear.) I'd avoid Rosebrook, not great for the money, Paragon is in a decent area. And Willow Park is close to everything you'd want for a few months, especially Goodyear, your commute might be longer getting through the parking lot than on 67th to Lee, including Swiggs and Country Mart.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:53 PM

81 posts, read 293,332 times
You might want to take a look at extended stay hotel places like Candlewood Suites on 38th street, and Homewood Suites on SE Interstate Drive.
Not sure of their rates for a 3 month stay, but they do provide good services for you while you are there.
We have quite a few soldiers go through here for different schools and they do sometimes stay that those places for short time frames.
Other than that, here is my thoughts on the Apartments you listed:

Regency - North part of city, area is not pretty and run down. Place sits behind a hotel that has gone through several name changes over the years - now it is a Knights Inn.

Paragon - If you love the smell of Steaks cooking this is the place for you. Texas Roadhouse next door.
Busy Old Cache Rd in front of the place.

Rosebrook - These have recently been remodeled. Red Lobster, Hogpin Bowling alley are next to it as well as a few other fast food places. That area is the heart of Cache Rd and is always busy until late at night.

Sheridan Square - Middle of Lawton - Walmart and Sam's Club within walking distance as well as a few more fast food places. Traffic can be a pain since it is on one of the main streets that Lawton has.

Ross Estates - If there was a place to go this would probably be it due to the location of where it is and the quick drive to Goodyear. About 2 miles away. Taco fast food about a mile away and McDonald's about 2-3 miles. It is on the Southwest side of Lawton where there is mainly housing areas, so that that is a plus and if you like to do some dancing, Scooters nite club is across the street.

Hope that helps?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 PM

I appreciate all the replies. J67bubba, do you have an opinion about Wiilow Park on NW Maple? Also, should I be concerned about safety at any of these locations? I've heard there is a curfew but not sure if it's widespread. I will also check out the extended stay places. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 AM

81 posts, read 293,332 times
Willow Park on 67th and NW Maple are not too bad. That area is near Restaurant row, as I like to call it.
Applebee's, Chili's, a few mom and pop places, Outback Steakhouse, Santa Fe Steak House, Swigg's Still and Grill (Cajun style food)

No curfew in Lawton unless you are under 18

Only place I would be worried about safety is the Regency Apartment - no the best neighborhood there.
All other places except for the Ross Estates, are just near busy streets - Cache Rd, Old Cache Rd and Sheridan (three of the main streets in town)

My Pleasure to help out

Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM

I get so tired of people bashing Lawton. I would like for our guest to have a good living experience while he is staying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma