Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM

78 posts, read 121,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
A lot of military nearby, Tinker AFB. Are you meaning to say there are a lot of crime rate because of them? I would of though they are the nicest ones.

It's a programming job. C# .Net Developer. For a company that works for the government.

It's actually a 8 months contract, so I might be there for only 8 months. As for car, I am very confused on what to do, it'll take $2k to ship my relatively new Mazda 3 2011 from Hawaii to OKC. Is there a car rental that lets you rent for 8 months instead of a year? I may be thinking of buying a new car in OKC, for like 3k, and then re-selling it in 8 months.

Either way, I'll be out of car at least a month. If it's not that manageable, how do other people do it in MidWest, do everyone have a car or something.

Thanks for the help!
In this part of the country basically everyone has a car. Depending on how close you end up living to your workplace you could probably pull it off, but Oklahoma City as a whole is a very large and spread out city. From Midwest City, you have to jump on the highway and take about a 15 minute drive just to get into the middle of the OKC metro area. Honestly I think paying the extra money to ship your car to the mainland would be worth it versus buying a cheapo once you get here. You never know, you may end up loving it and staying her past the 8 months. Then you will be happy to have your Mazda with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
SoCal and Miami are more like Hawaii than Oklahoma. One has earthquakes, the other is battered by hurricane strength storms. If you do not live in a town with a city bus, you walk, rent, or own a car.

About OK. No ocean, no island, no Trader Joe's, much sand, mountains, large lakes, oil wells, horses, cows, cowboys and Cowboy Church, botanical gardens, performing arts, high rolling hills, towering cliffs, winding roads, large parks, water sports, and continuing education. Native history that includes large nations and small bands, worship, Reservation land, culture, dress, food, music, drumming, celebration and powwow in a state that is home to more federally recognized Native Amercan tribes than any other state in America.

There are things to do an see from rodeo and cowboy museum in SW OK, to the worlds largest multiple arch dam and the largest recreated turn-of-20th century town and museum in NE OK. In between one finds red earth, crops, small towns, large rivers ad man made lakes, and hundreds of miles of ribbons of concrete interspersed with one of the most amazing natural wildlife habit in the world. And you can fish, hunt, raise a family and golf, too.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
SoCal and Miami are more like Hawaii than Oklahoma. One has earthquakes, the other is battered by hurricane strength storms. If you do not live in a town with a city bus, you walk, rent, or own a car.

About OK. No ocean, no island, no Trader Joe's, much sand, mountains, large lakes, oil wells, horses, cows, cowboys and Cowboy Church, botanical gardens, performing arts, high rolling hills, towering cliffs, winding roads, large parks, water sports, and continuing education. Native history that includes large nations and small bands, worship, Reservation land, culture, dress, food, music, drumming, celebration and powwow in a state that is home to more federally recognized Native Amercan tribes than any other state in America.

There isn't much sand but there sure is a lot of red clay.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 18,923 times
Yes!! the major form of entertainment will be provided from your home domicile christian born again bible believing america the great church. I don't recall midwest city having transit service or anywhere else beyond a 5 mile radius around downtown okc but its possible. No transfers, I think its up to 1.75 with an average of 5 buses to get near your destination, buy a bicycle because the bus stops are usually miles away from your actual destination and they only run once an hour and only operate chicken time or about sunup to sundown. Usually ending 5pm, secure your own ride sundays no bus service.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldue1 View Post
Yes!! the major form of entertainment will be provided from your home domicile christian born again bible believing america the great church. I don't recall midwest city having transit service or anywhere else beyond a 5 mile radius around downtown okc but its possible. No transfers, I think its up to 1.75 with an average of 5 buses to get near your destination, buy a bicycle because the bus stops are usually miles away from your actual destination and they only run once an hour and only operate chicken time or about sunup to sundown. Usually ending 5pm, secure your own ride sundays no bus service.
Yep. Unless one just chose to live downtown and stay there, you gotta have your own ride. It would just be too difficult to get stuff done.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Here is some food for thought. There are vehicles that can be rented for the day, week, or month. However, and unless you are planning on interstate driving and high miles you should be able to find an older used car that has been well maintained that will serve your needs for a few months. A friend bought one from a university professor from South America who was teaching for 6 months. He sold it before he returned home. You'll be able to sell yours too. And you can buy as-is cars from car rentals like Enterprise.

In the end, it may be less expensive to bring your car. However, what I have heard is it may take 6 months before your car arrives. I don't know how true this statement is.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
I think the OP's best bet is to just purchase an older used car which is good on gas mileage. And then resell when it's time to leave.

That's about the only way to have a car here (without the $2000 shipping fee from HI) without totally losing money. Buy one cheap and sell it before you have to ship out.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
Hey guys, I am looking to move to Oklahoma from Hawaii for a job.
I will be residing near: Midwest City, OK 73110

I wanted to know a little more about the city.
I am 23 years old so I am looking for night life.

Are there a lot of Clubs? Raves?
Basically, what's there to do for young people?

Hawaii has a lot of scene so night life is always popping.

I heard the transit system is really bad so do I need to get a car or do you think I can manage by bus?

Also, how do you guys like it there?

Anything else I should know about?
I was born an raised in Oklahoma. I have since lived in many places around the world, including a 5 year stint in Hawaii so I think I can answer your questions pretty well.

Comparing the Nightlife in Honolulu to OKC is not gonna be good for you. OKC is not even playing the same sport much less in the same ballpark. Your best bet is to not compare the two and just find places and things to do that you enjoy. Not many places have the 7 days a week night scene that Hawaii does. Also you better get used to closing up a lot earlier than 4 am.

The transit system in OKC is not gonna met your needs long term. It may not meet your needs even for a short time depending on where exactly you decide to live. Almost everyone has a car here. Its much cheaper to own, operate and park a car here than in Hawaii. You will need one. The places you are gonna want to go are much farther apart here than in Hawaii. Plus you will be able to do a road trip to visit attractions in other citys and states, something not possible in Hawaii. So get a cheap car that gets good mpg.

Truly fresh fish is hard to come by. You will not consider what most grocery stores sell to be fresh. Likewise you will find that fish served in most restaurants is not as good as what you can easily find in Hawaii. However there are a few good/decent sushi places, unfortunately what most people here judge sushi by are the maki and not the quality of the nagiri. Get used to eating more beef and BBQ. When you see something on a menu with the word Hawaiian attached to it, it means its got lots of canned pineapples on or in it. Speaking of pineapples, just get used to the fact that no pineapple available for purchase will taste like the ones in Hawaii.

Also we have this thing called weather here. It actually changes. It changes swiftly and sometimes violently. Just last week he had a nice sunny day with the high about 73 and the next day it failed to get above 32. So you will need to get used to checking the weather and planning your schedule and attire around it. We get wind from many more directions than just Kona and Trade. Also we are particularly famous for tornadoes, and as tornado season is about to kick off, I suggest you locate the nearest storm shelter from your work and your home.

Speaking of attire. Floral patterns are a no go here unless you are going to a themed party or vacation. You will need to purchase some heavier weight clothing for when winter gets here and a good coat.

Its gonna be different but it will not be all negative. It will be what you make of it. I have found redeeming qualities of everywhere I have lived. Some of them I wouldn't want to live at permanently, but I still miss some aspects of each.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
PS-- I agree that if you are looking for night life, nearby Norman is far better than OKC. Tulsa is as well, but it's further away.
Wow. Once again OKC gets zero credit for anything outside of Bricktown. I get you don't like OKC, but at least give credit where credit is due, and not everyone is going to feel the same way you do about OKC, and no, not all of us who enjoy OKC are into "modern country". Lots of people I know enjoy rock, red dirt and blue grass.

You want modern country-to-boot? Come visit Houston. The radio stations are down to one classic rock or hard rock station. One. Plenty of country and other genres, but if one wants to here a The Fixx or Boston, you may as well turn to satellite radio.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 AM

93 posts, read 179,424 times
I hate modern country. it seems to me most of it is either pop or bad 80's rock with bad accents packed with lyrics heavy on rural cliches and stereotypes. (dirt roads, hunting dogs, beer, etc) ugh.

and now they even have this thing called hick hop. *shudders*

I like me some Don Williams, George Jones, Patty Loveless, Alison Krauss, and folks like that.

I've heard the radio station in OKC with the call letters KXXY 96.1 plays my kind of music. seems when I checked them out online they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma