Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 05:54 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

I would be intererested to hear what part of OKC you folks find to your liking.

Make use of the NEWSOK crime tracker online. You type in an address and it shows a stat and a grid of crimes in that area:

For example

101 CDF Way

33 assaults
14 burglary
0 homocide
55 rapes

On the vibes topic. I know what you mean about picking up vibes in rooms and places to sit in restaurants.

I have a friend in northeast KS who has property on reservation land. It is near the site of a battle between two tribes. He has a lot encounters with spirits. One of the Indians came and befriended him and now he knows many Indians go to the hills near his home to fast and pray. That has a spiritual vibe.

As far as cities go, as a single person, I liked Belle Isle area North of Penn Square Mall. If you are raising kids, it changes a lot on where you settle. I would be extremely careful where I lived.

I would have to be away from NW OKC. NW and SW OKC is too crowded for me, it reminds me of suburban L.A. Just too many cars and apts.

I liked the vibes around wichita NWR in SW Oklahoma. And I lived right on the fence line of Red Rock State Park. It made for some good walks behind my house.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:41 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Some places have no vibes to me. Those places are kind of without soul, good or bad.

When I first set foot on my property now, I knew I had to live here. It feels so peaceful. Other places I have looked at just about made my skin crawl.

Wetumka has a spooky feeling, like a lot of bad things have happened there. I still go there all the time, but the feeling is sad there.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Now you've done it...
You've incurred the wrath of Peggy and Colleen.
Now what's so jibberish about that?

I was only tring to help

Maybe we should just suggest a version of "Computers for Dummies"http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21CRVETQYWL._SL120_.jpg (broken link)
I got started on "Windows 98 for Dummies"

NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-21-2007 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-21-2007, 08:25 AM

My auntie lived in a country house that had bad vibes. We found out the last lady who lived there was practicing bad medicine. My auntie had the preacher come out.

We always "smoke" our places when we move or have a respected elder or Indian doctor perform the smoking ceremony.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:50 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
I've found that in OK., and I'm sure that it applied to many other states,(Ca. 1 exception) that the smaller the town, the less crime.
But if you do have children, a town too small "might" be boring( for lack of a better word).

Old 12-21-2007, 09:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
We always "smoke" our places when we move or have a respected elder or Indian doctor perform the smoking ceremony.
I smoked every house I've lived in. I also put up red cloth in the four corners. Might seem superstitious, but we've never been hit by a tornado. Grand ma took hers down one time to clean and forgot to put them back up......a storm moved the south wall out about 2 inches.....took us more than a week to repair. She put them back and no storm has come close since then....that was 20 years ago.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I smoked every house I've lived in. I also put up red cloth in the four corners. Might seem superstitious, but we've never been hit by a tornado. Grand ma took hers down one time to clean and forgot to put them back up......a storm moved the south wall out about 2 inches.....took us more than a week to repair. She put them back and no storm has come close since then....that was 20 years ago.

What does it mean to "smoke" a house? Is that something only NA's do? Since there is so much NA history (good and bad) in OK would it be something someone should do if they can? I'm not what you would call superstitious, but I believe strongly in spiritual vibes.

We once lived in a condo in Phoenix that had a back room that for some reason both my husband and I would be drawn to. But every time we were in that room we became depressed. Our neighbor said three families before us had lived in that condo and they all ended up fighting so much with each other the police were often called. Once DH and I started arguing over absolutely nothing we moved.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
What does it mean to "smoke" a house? Is that something only NA's do? I'm not what you would call superstitious, but I believe strongly in spiritual vibes.
This is just my take on it, but "smoking" one's house simply means blessing one's house. I believe all human cultures have some form of it.

I saw on National Geographic some australian aborigines performing almost the same ceremony except they use the eucaplyptus tree which is sacred to them.

I have seen catholic priests perform ceremonial smoking of the alter which reminded me of our Indian ways.

Smoking= We burn a little cedar (some use white mountain sage), then carry the smoldering cedar around the house while we say prayers-- all the while using an eagle feather to fan the cedar smoke in all directions. It is wise to open a window to allow any entities a way to escape. Its also called smudging.

Its supposed to remove bad spirits and call in the good spirits.

GP, good post.

Here is a link, I am sure there are many other links and variations.

http://www.crystalinks.com/smudging.html

Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
This is just my take on it, but "smoking" one's house simply means blessing one's house. I believe all human cultures have some form of it.

I saw on National Geographic some australian aborigines performing almost the same ceremony except they use the eucaplyptus tree which is sacred to them.

I have seen catholic priests perform ceremonial smoking of the alter which reminded me of our Indian ways.

Smoking= We burn a little cedar (some use white mountain sage), then carry the smoldering cedar around the house while we say prayers-- all the while using an eagle feather to fan the cedar smoke in all directions. It is wise to open a window to allow any entities a way to escape. Its also called smudging.

GP, good post.

Neat! Thanks for the link redbird!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:

GP, good post.

Very interesting article, and a good explanation from you. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma