Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 PM

58 posts, read 140,745 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am looking to move to Oklahoma from Hawaii for a job.
I will be residing near: Midwest City, OK 73110

I wanted to know a little more about the city.
I am 23 years old so I am looking for night life.

Are there a lot of Clubs? Raves?
Basically, what's there to do for young people?

Hawaii has a lot of scene so night life is always popping.

I heard the transit system is really bad so do I need to get a car or do you think I can manage by bus?

Also, how do you guys like it there?

Anything else I should know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,518,268 times
Oklahoma culture isn't into much drinking, so there isn't much night life other than some clubs at Bricktown in downtown Oklahoma City and elsewhere several big country music bars. Otherwise, for entertainment and socializing, many Oklahomans go to church for that.

Frontier City, an amusement park, is fun during the time of year it's open. For pro sports, there's the Thunder basketball team doing quite well.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 AM

Aw man lol. I am the type that always comes out at night for parties. Not into sports or pretty much any type of day time activities.

Hows the Metro? I may be car less for few months. Would you say there are a lot of bus options in the Midwest City area?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 AM

653 posts, read 1,780,134 times
The transportation system has you were told, could use improvement. Living in Midwest City, if you want to get to the hot spots for night life, you will need a car. Also, you need to know that while there are worse places crime wise in the metro, I would be careful in Midwest City. Alot of military folks live nearby as Tinker AFB is located there. If I may ask, what job are you taking there? Have you looked into rentals? I would highly suggest you rent the first year you are here in Okla. Once you save up for a car (you can find a good cheap vehicle for as little as 3500 bucks around here), I would look into Norman for night life as well. The singles scene is a little better there. Bricktown does have some nice places too and actually may fit into what your looking for. Overall, you'll find most people quite friendly, and I still think that Oklahoma offers some of the prettiest ladies in the country. Good luck on your move here.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,620,182 times
As far as the OKC metro, Midwest City would be my last choice. I base that on everything from cleanliness to safety.

Public transportation is not good, no matter what area you live in.

Without knowing in what physical area your job will be and your income expectations, it's really not possible to narrow it down.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oklahoma culture isn't into much drinking,
Oklahoma culture isn't into much drinking, Ha!

Surely you jest.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
The transportation system has you were told, could use improvement. Living in Midwest City, if you want to get to the hot spots for night life, you will need a car. Also, you need to know that while there are worse places crime wise in the metro, I would be careful in Midwest City. Alot of military folks live nearby as Tinker AFB is located there. If I may ask, what job are you taking there? Have you looked into rentals? I would highly suggest you rent the first year you are here in Okla. Once you save up for a car (you can find a good cheap vehicle for as little as 3500 bucks around here), I would look into Norman for night life as well. The singles scene is a little better there. Bricktown does have some nice places too and actually may fit into what your looking for. Overall, you'll find most people quite friendly, and I still think that Oklahoma offers some of the prettiest ladies in the country. Good luck on your move here.
A lot of military nearby, Tinker AFB. Are you meaning to say there are a lot of crime rate because of them? I would of though they are the nicest ones.

It's a programming job. C# .Net Developer. For a company that works for the government.

It's actually a 8 months contract, so I might be there for only 8 months. As for car, I am very confused on what to do, it'll take $2k to ship my relatively new Mazda 3 2011 from Hawaii to OKC. Is there a car rental that lets you rent for 8 months instead of a year? I may be thinking of buying a new car in OKC, for like 3k, and then re-selling it in 8 months.

Either way, I'll be out of car at least a month. If it's not that manageable, how do other people do it in MidWest, do everyone have a car or something.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Oklahoma culture isn't into much drinking, Ha!

Surely you jest.
No, I don't, unless you search out exceptions to the rule, such as the strip in Stillwater.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
Aw man lol. I am the type that always comes out at night for parties. Not into sports or pretty much any type of day time activities.
At least find out the basics about the Thunder. In the Oklahoma City area, you don't dare want to ask, "Who is Kevin Durant?"

Bars at Bricktown will probably make a good first impression. Someone mentioned Norman for another place. It's an hour's drive, but the strip in Stillwater is another place with a bunch of bars close together and lining one street. But it helps to like country since the biggest bar on the strip is country with a big dance floor.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,314,941 times
I gotta say, "life in Oklahoma" is wonderful, from my perspective. I've lived here off and on my whole life but have lived and traveled all over the country (and outside the country.)

Just came back a year ago after 8 years away in three different states.

I am GLAD to be back. There is a lot of cultural diversity and natural beauty in the state. Cost of living is reasonable.

However, I am afraid that as much as I like and enjoy most parts of the state, I do not care for the Oklahoma City metro, which includes Midwest city.

I welcome you to Oklaholma and hope you are successful and have a great time here. You just happen to be going to the LEAST good place in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma