Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:34 AM

17,780 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
My point of view is that both states are very nice. Oklahoma with it's mountainous areas in the southeast region to the prairie in the central part of the state and semi arid and canyons in the west. Now Texas is a totally different animal, seeing how vast the state is. Now if you are perfering a big metro between 2-3 million with some scenery to it, then Austin, or San Antonio would be a good fit. In a day you can travel in the hill country, as well as travel to the beach since both are a 2-3 hrs destination. If you choose Oklahoma then I preferably choose either OKC or Tulsa.
Good points. I must also point out that Texas' "scenic" areas are more developed and tourist friendly than Oklahoma's are. As beautiful as the Ouachitas and Kiamichi Mountiains in SE Oklahoma are, they aren't a good fit for the non- fishing/hunting/horseriding tourist. OTOH, the Hill Country for instance has Gruene, New Braunfels, Fredricksburg and a bunch of other stuff for the high brow tourist. Big plus for Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Good points. I must also point out that Texas' "scenic" areas are more developed and tourist friendly than Oklahoma's are. As beautiful as the Ouachitas and Kiamichi Mountiains in SE Oklahoma are, they aren't a good fit for the non- fishing/hunting/horseriding tourist. OTOH, the Hill Country for instance has Gruene, New Braunfels, Fredricksburg and a bunch of other stuff for the high brow tourist. Big plus for Texas.
I'll take our Oklahoma lakes over Texas lakes any ol' day. Of course, that's because I desire to see less people when I fish.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
I know some people who have straddled the fence with great success. Several I grew up with in Durant Ok like ranches or farms to live on. So they are property rich and live in OK near Durant but work in the N. Dallas suburbs. So good income jobs in Tx with lower property taxes in Oklahoma on their residence. The commute is around an hour and I recommend owning an oil well to pay for the fuel!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 AM

17,780 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'll take our Oklahoma lakes over Texas lakes any ol' day. Of course, that's because I desire to see less people when I fish.
Much like scenery, surface water is the same. Overall there is more in Texas, but surface water per acre? Oklahoma again wins in a walk. Other than Northwestern Oklahoma, you can't go very far in the state without stumbling into a lake.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:45 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
I know people down here in central Texas that go sea fishing. One thing on my list to do that I haven't done in years. Nothing like open waters, and miles, and miles from civilization.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Much like scenery, surface water is the same. Overall there is more in Texas, but surface water per acre? Oklahoma again wins in a walk. Other than Northwestern Oklahoma, you can't go very far in the state without stumbling into a lake.
Yep.

And you just might have the unfortunate experience of running into one of these badboys (I know I have!):

A guy in Oklahoma caught a snapping turtle that might also be a monster | For The Win

Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yep.

And you just might have the unfortunate experience of running into one of these badboys (I know I have!):

A guy in Oklahoma caught a snapping turtle that might also be a monster | For The Win
Someone caught a big one in lake Eufaula this week, I think it was over 100 lbs. When I was a kid we had one like that crossing the dirt road by our house. My mom drove a 69 Plymouth Fury and ran over it 3 times and still didn't kill it. So she ran home to get dad's 12 gauge and when we got back it was gone. We were not allowed to swim in the pond after that, but we did any way!

Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
When I was a kid, we would visit relatives in OKC who lived across from a creek in SW OKC. My cousin and I would wade in the deep mud and fantasize about a snapping turtle biting a toe and then having to wait for thunder before the turtle would release the toe. Hey! It was believable back then and added danger to our humdrum lives!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Someone caught a big one in lake Eufaula this week, I think it was over 100 lbs. When I was a kid we had one like that crossing the dirt road by our house. My mom drove a 69 Plymouth Fury and ran over it 3 times and still didn't kill it. So she ran home to get dad's 12 gauge and when we got back it was gone. We were not allowed to swim in the pond after that, but we did any way!
A sickening example of cruelty to animals. Ran over it 3 times? And was gone by the time she got back with a gun - that means a severely injured turtle crawled off somewhere to suffer and die. Your mom sounds like a piece of work.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,559 times
Its is a shame to kill one, takes many years to get to those sizes. That creature won't be replaced in our lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma