Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:33 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,644 times

Advertisements

I have been to OKC several times and enjoyed my visits.

I wonder how OKC residents would compare their city to San Antonio? Which city has more to offer, etc? OKC 1.3 million people SA 2.3 million.

Both cities are growing a lot and have a lot to offer.

Criteria

Job Growth
transportation
arts
skyline
entertainment
sports
education
economy
neighborhoods
weather
cost of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
I have been to OKC several times and enjoyed my visits.

I wonder how OKC residents would compare their city to San Antonio? Which city has more to offer, etc? OKC 1.3 million people SA 2.3 million.

Both cities are growing a lot and have a lot to offer.

Criteria

Job Growth
transportation
arts
skyline
entertainment
sports
education
economy
neighborhoods
weather
cost of living
Obviously the Yellow Rose is going to win given all the categories you've listed.

However, OKC does have a similar "feel" to San Antonio. Oklahoma City has the feel of Southern-Southwestern hybrid city. I'm partial to OK City because of the Okies/people, but I like San Antonio a lot. One key distinction you feel in San Antonio is the overt nature of the Mexican culture, which is something I can enjoy. There are portions of OK City that have Mexican culture, but there is much more of a Cowboy/Native vibe to it.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I agree. How do you like the Riverwalk? I think it is gorgeous. It may have changed a lot in the last 30 years. Most cities did if they wanted to survive.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:25 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
OKC has a "similar feel" in the manner that a knock-off has compared to an original design. OKC has nothing like the Fiesta. The small waterpark in OKC compared to Schlitterbahn is not even close. The convention centers and other infrastructure in San Antonio is far superior to OKC.

OKC has a very long road to get where San Antonio is now.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:41 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Considering cost of living is around the same I'd pick the one that offered me the higher salary with the biggest increase potential. Both have similar incidences of oil/gas jobs these days. I prefer to not have winters of any consequence so I'm biased towards South Texas. Okc gets considerably colder than SA in the aggregate winter time. I could do without the mexican culture of San Antonio, OKC feels slightly whiter culturally to me, but I can sidestep that contention for the weather of San Antonio.

Here's the only truth: Everywhere in America sucks when you don't make good money. So I look for the money first, the location works itself out. Picky is for retirement. Being content in "little big town" making piddly money in your 30s and 40s is a fool's errand. Might as well take food off your kid's plate tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I don't know this for a fact, but I going to make a conservative guess that San Antonio has a larger, and wealthier, tax base than OKC. Texas also has 63 taxes that cover everything from buying the neighbors car to your business vehicles, plus some TX jurisdictions collect personal property taxes too.

The entertainment value is greater in SA, but OK taxes are lower. I was never disappointed in my quality of life in Oklahoma. Nature, in NEOK where I lived, provided all the entertainment I needed. I wish I had the picture of the king snake that was in love with my 100 amp breaker box. Snake was cold; box was warm. It did no harm, but it sure was a shock the first time I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
OKC has a "similar feel" in the manner that a knock-off has compared to an original design. OKC has nothing like the Fiesta. The small waterpark in OKC compared to Schlitterbahn is not even close. The convention centers and other infrastructure in San Antonio is far superior to OKC.

OKC has a very long road to get where San Antonio is now.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
I would take San Antonio over OKC any time.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 AM

58 posts, read 95,672 times
They are two very similar cities. The poster who noted that San Antonio is more of a Mexican culture and OKC is more Western is pretty spot on with his analysis.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Has OKC ever indicated a desire to be considered equal to San Antonio? I haven't heard it. OKC is OKC and other places are other places. Many cities offer more than other cities. Many don't. If I live somewhere and like it, it doesn't matter one tiny iota is others don't like it.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
I used to live in San Antonio. After going to the Riverwalk a few times, it became boring, as does most things in life. Also the restaurants on the Riverwalk are not that great.

How would you even compare the two? Well, San Antonio has more to offer in regards to site seeing. There are the beautiful churches, missions, the Mexican market, there is Austin, New Braunfels, and other towns. It is close to Mexico. But see I love Mexico. It is closer to the ocean than OKC. These are places that I would return, but there is nothing in OKC that I would return for.

Picking a job with the highest salary isn't the best idea as you have to think of the area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma