Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 10:09 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

I too grew up in SE Oklahoma, Durant to be specific then Stillwater for college. I lost any accent I had working in the energy business globally. I use to argue that neither Oklahoma nor Texas were southern until recently....

I saw a video clip online about things Southern Women say.....I remember hearing every one of those sayings both growing up in Oklahoma and around Texas natives on occassion too. I no longer argue when someone says Ok or Tx is southern.

I must add however that there is always an international element in both Houston and Dallas where the accent and southern culture arent noticable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyBP View Post
Being a born and bred southerner, and having lived out here for 12 years now, I can assure you, there are very few True Southerners out here, it is generally considered South-Western. That's not to say anything negative about anyone out here, it's just that True Southerners pride themselves on living a way that's a bit different than how they live out here, so they lean a little more to the Western side than the Southern side.

P.S. Oklahoma is not considered the "Midwest" that is usually in reference to the Northern mid portion of the United States. The South West consists of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, and Arizona.
Honestly, I don't think any part of Oklahoma east of HWY 81 and north of I-40 is really fully "southwestern".

Going east and west I would say anything south of HWY 9 and west of HWY 81 probably could be considered fully southwestern.

Particularly west of Walters and south of Hobart.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Oklahoma and Baja Oklahoma ( Texas ) are both Southwestern States because they have a very strong...... ( Cowboy Culture ) and Southern States don't have a strong cowboy culture " Florida has a very weak cowboy culture " however the vast majority of people aren't even aware of it.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Oklahoma and Baja Oklahoma ( Texas ) are both Southwestern States because they have a very strong...... ( Cowboy Culture ) and Southern States don't have a strong cowboy culture " Florida has a very weak cowboy culture " however the vast majority of people aren't even aware of it.
I think this is true and to an extent is true of a lot of the state of Oklahoma but I just can't get "southwestern" out of Little Dixie no matter how you frame it. I can't get "southwestern" out of the Ozark plateau.

To me to be "southwestern" you HAVE to have mesquite trees. The smell of burning mesquite is THE consumate southwestern signature.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Oklahoma is southwestern. Mesquite can be purchased.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Mesquite Barbeque is common in Kansas. Does that make it southwestern?

Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
After living in Oklahoma City for after living in Charlotte and before that Little Rock, I can safely say Oklahoma City is not a Southern city. I do not think it has all the qualities to be considered Southwestern but it is definitely not pure Southern. OKC lacks the historic Southern charm most cities in the former Confederate states have. It doesn't have the racial tension so strong in many urban areas in the South. You don't have streets lined with giant, majestic trees and homes built in the Antebellum era. You rarely see the Confederate flag flown. It just doesn't have that Southern feel. People who have never been to OKC and base their entire opinion on it on perceptions will try to say I am wrong, but spend a week in OKC and then spend a week in Birmingham and you can definitely see the difference. Even popular "New South" cities like Charlotte have retained much of their Southern charm in their historic neighborhoods. All of that said, OKC doesn't quite fit in with the Southwestern United States either. A lot of people say this city is devoid of culture and I think part of that is it doesn't have a deep rooted identity with a specific part of the country. Little Rock is undoubtedly Southern, Albuquerque is undoubtedly Southwestern, and Texas is pretty much its own thing. Oklahoma City though is really a mixture south, southwest, Texas, and midwestern.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Mesquite Barbeque is common in Kansas. Does that make it southwestern?
Mesquite doesn't GROW in Kansas except maybe in the southwestern corner. I don't think it is very thick there like it is in the rolling plains of Texas.

Being outside and the smell of mesquite burning on a cold dry night. THAT is the southwest.

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-09-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,918 times
To me, Oklahoma is better left as just 'Oklahoma' don't even bother trying to label it. Same goes for Kansas, Nebraska, Texas, and Arkansas. Personally I would just call Oklahoma as a 'Great Plains Midwestern' state.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
It seems like Texas and Oklahoma are in their own unique region that just isn't widely recognized by outsider. Would it be more accurate just to classify them as Southern Plains? That says southern and midwest in one...and a subregion could be southwestern plains for the western areas. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma