Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times

Advertisements

It is getting better, only about 170,000 power outages still exist this morning. I feel so sorry for those people who have been without power for a week now.

There was an article in the Oklahoman today that said the ice storms are worse in this decade because our winters have been getting warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 01:22 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Well its 3:20pm and the snow started back up again at around 9am. The wind is blowing like crazy out there and the drifting has started. But on the lighter side, we still have power. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Oklahoman today that said the ice storms are worse in this decade because our winters have been getting warmer.
Not here...

It's been much colder this year than the last 5 years.
It's especially cold for this time of year.

We're currently expecting 16" of snow by morning,
and the wind out there is wild... We're getting a good variety of snow and freezing rain. I would not be surprised if we lose our power before morning.

But as bad as it is, it's still better than pure ice.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Well its 3:20pm and the snow started back up again at around 9am. The wind is blowing like crazy out there and the drifting has started. But on the lighter side, we still have power. Keep your fingers crossed.
*fingers crossed* The boy is on I80 entering Larain County 90 mi from Toledo and he's made it through the *blizzard* type snow. Should get clearer for him now. I'm following him using WeatherBug road cams.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
*fingers crossed* The boy is on I80 entering Larain County 90 mi from Toledo and he's made it through the *blizzard* type snow. Should get clearer for him now. I'm following him using WeatherBug road cams.
Our prayers go with him!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Our prayers go with him!
Thank-you. He is in safely Illinois at a rest stop now taking a nap. *whew* http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/whew.gif (broken link) Should be in NE by 8am or so.

I pray that you and yours are safe and warm and your power stays on!

I'll be up till the wee hours... the hubby is out fixing a water main break and it's 33F right now. Gonna be a looong night. *sigh*
I'm hoping for a nap... sometime after New Year's...

Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Thank-you. He is in safely Illinois at a rest stop now taking a nap. *whew* http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/whew.gif (broken link) Should be in NE by 8am or so.
You should do the same!
Glad to hear all is okay.

Quote:
I pray that you and yours are safe and warm and your power stays on!
Thanks. Well the storm is over, looks like the road crews did a decent job, and we'll be shoveled out in a about 3 hours... Providing I get off this machine...
It's 12 degrees (up from -7 woohoo!) and very windy... I'm glad I grew a beard for the Winter this year.

Quote:
I'll be up till the wee hours... the hubby is out fixing a water main break and it's 33F right now. Gonna be a looong night. *sigh*
I'm hoping for a nap... sometime after New Year's...
Oh, so you're having a heatwave there huh?
Make sure to give hubby big hugs and hot cocoa when he gets home.

Happy Monday! Get ready for another week!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Quote:
That is a cool link, LadyRobyn. I have been following the progress of my DH and DS on their way to Maryland. It would have been cool to have those cams along the way. They arrived safely. Hope your son does the same.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:21 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Our prayers go with him!
Yep, I second that LadyRobyn!

CG, I actually like cold weather, but the kind of Winter you are having would be horrible, IMO. The last time I experienced a winter like that was in Calgary, Alberta a few years ago. Before that it was in Rhode Island (Providence) in 1993. BRRRR... I would have the wood stove stocked up until the whole house looked like a glowing ember from outside.

Actually, growing up in Oklahoma we had some pretty severe Winters as well. One Winter I remember when it snowed and snowed and the temps never got anywhere near freezing for like three weeks (well, maybe a bit above for a day or two). Everywhere we went people had those wood stoves stocked with wood and they felt soooo good after coming in out of the cold.

There's something about a wood stove or a fireplace that just puts me to sleep if I lay down in front of one. Anyone else feel that way?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Oh Ya! Take a cold snowy night, a crackling fireplace with the lights off. And add a glass of wine with a beautiful woman (My Wife that is), now thats a setting for a good novel. And don't forget the soft music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: