Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:53 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times

Advertisements

I had been out with the dog and she suddenly made a beeline for the back door. She always lets me know ahead of time when there a storm or earthquake coming. I looked up into the sky and, even though it was still darkish, I couldn't see any signs of thunderheads, or anything, really.

So we went back inside, and I had Channel 5 (ABC) on. The weather girl starting gasping and stuttering. About that time, I heard something rattle in my kitchen area. But I didn't feel anything. I couldn't figure out what the weather girl was stammering about.

Finally they settled down enough to announce it was a EQ out by Jones. They think just under 5.0 magnitude.

I live SW OKC, near the Moore line.

There were apparently 3 EQs this morning out in the Jones area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I felt it. My clock said ten minutes to six. When the back of my recliner shook, I said to myself: earthquake and looked at the time. I'm about 140 miles east of Jones.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
Felt it in the Bixby area....bedroom is upstairs so we tend to notice the quakes. I'd say this is probably the strongest one I've felt, seemed to last a bit longer.

Have felt way more quakes during the past couple of years here in Oklahoma than I did in nearly 10 years of living in California, but I didn't live in an earthquake zone.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
I slept through it.

Two places to check out how strong the earthquakes were:

Leonard Geophysical Observatory - Recent Earthquakes

Recent Oklahoma Earthquakes

Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM

69 posts, read 128,378 times
I was asleep when it the quake happened so I didn't feel it.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:12 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My daughter in OKC felt it, but her husband didn't wake up.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I haven't felt ANY of the Oklahoma earthquakes.

*Source: The Oklahoma City media sure loves a good earthquake… | The Lost Ogle

Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
That's hilarious. Almost as funny as "The Lost Ogle". I'd like to miss an Ogle or two. One of them, can't remember which one, described Monday's EQ as a War Zone.

Obviously, that Ogle has never been outside his mother's basement.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
The only quake which did damage to my house in my life was here, a few years ago at two am... it messed up the doorjam which ended up having to be taken out and redone. I haven't felt many since, but am glad they are looking at revamping bridges and overpasses to standard before there is one.

I wouldn't want to live in an unreinforced brick or stone building...

I do wonder what defines a 'big' quake in Oklahoma. I lived in Riverside county, and we had lots of small quakes. The three pointers were an, oh, was that a quake? The five pointes got more attention but so long as there were not lots of them it was not a big deal. Its when you get a swarm of them like the fault is getting ready to show off.....

I clearly remember several large cities away holding onto the monitor so it didn't fall on me during Northridge and the dam splitting. And the one up in ventura we felt in orange county like it was close. But the san andreas has a stress point near where I lived where its said when it goes it will.

Glad not to be there for that and other reasons.

Just some reasonable things to do. If you have things which will fall off a shelf, small breakables expecially, stick them down with modeling clay. And screw any tall shelf or bit of furnature into a wall stud. Don't put your easy chair under a lot of glass. Never hang something heavy directly over your bed. Don't put shelves with stuff over it either. Even smallish quakes can cause things to fall.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I had been out with the dog and she suddenly made a beeline for the back door. She always lets me know ahead of time when there a storm or earthquake coming. I looked up into the sky and, even though it was still darkish, I couldn't see any signs of thunderheads, or anything, really.

So we went back inside, and I had Channel 5 (ABC) on. The weather girl starting gasping and stuttering. About that time, I heard something rattle in my kitchen area. But I didn't feel anything. I couldn't figure out what the weather girl was stammering about.

Finally they settled down enough to announce it was a EQ out by Jones. They think just under 5.0 magnitude.

I live SW OKC, near the Moore line.

There were apparently 3 EQs this morning out in the Jones area.
Felt it. Waiting for my ceiling to start cracking more.

Felt like a train was right outside the front door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma