Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It did it again! I just sent a reply to this and the connection died!

Anyway.

I use IE because I just don't like the look of Firefox. Not entirely rational, but there it is. But it has quirks, anyway. It's supposed to be disabled so that IE is the default, but links in emails always open into Firefox. Urls I can copy and paste into IE, much nicer. IE is also closer to my beloved old Netscape, which is no longer what it used to be, either.

As for my vision difficulties, I'll DM you another time. It's too depressing to even think about today. Or share with the entire world.
If I'm correct, Netscape is a derivative of Mozilla, which was the original web browser. Mozilla IS Firefox, so if anything would resemble Netscape, it would be Firefox. Also, you can copy and paste links in Firefox the same as you could any other web browser; I'm not sure what you meant by that.

As for the "look" of Firefox, it is entirely more customizable than Internet Exploder, more secure, less bulky, and faster.

Me thinks someone just doesn't like change?

BTW, if you like Netscape, you can download the latest version of Netscape at the following website.

Main :: Netscape Navigator Web Browser

As for vision problems, I'm sorry to hear about that karibear. There are a lot of options with any web browser to enhance viewing and such. Those options should be under "Accessibility." You can make the font size larger and all kinds of other things. You can have web pages or screens read to you as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-31-2008 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If I'm correct, Netscape is a derivative of Mozilla, which was the original web browser. Mozilla IS Firefox, so if anything would resemble Netscape, it would be Firefox. Also, you can copy and paste links in Firefox the same as you could any other web browser; I'm not sure what you meant by that.

As for the "look" of Firefox, it is entirely more customizable than Internet Exploder, more secure, less bulky, and faster.

Me thinks someone just doesn't like change?

BTW, if you like Netscape, you can download the latest version of Netscape at the following website.

Main :: Netscape Navigator Web Browser

As for vision problems, I'm sorry to hear about that karibear. There are a lot of options with any web browser to enhance viewing and such. Those options should be under "Accessibility." You can make the font size larger and all kinds of other things. You can have web pages or screens read to you as well.

Good luck!
I started using Netscape when it was Navigator 2.0, and believe me, it's changed a LOT. And Firefox is labelled Mozilla Firefox on my puter, it just doesn't feel right to me. It's probably due somewhat to my vision difficulties, but the colors are off and unpleasant [and don't say I can change them]. I did say somewhere my attitude wasn't all that rational, it's just a personal preference. Now I've gotten used to IE, and I have hundreds of websites bookmarked that I'd have to spend far too much time moving to another browser.

I've used some of the accessibility things already, I have the fonts all set for me. There are some websites that won't allow themselves to be overwritten that way, though, so I tend to ignore those. My most favorite feature of all, though, is the 'ctrl'/mouse roller. I can change most things with that.

And I can't really download anything, I have a very slow dialup that tends to cut itself off at the most inopportune moments.

The 'links' as opposed to the urls are the ones in emails that say 'click here' to go to wherever. There is a difference between a link and an url. If you copy a link and paste it, you get exactly what you see, which is 'click here.' If you copy an url, you get the http address. And if you paste an url in WordPerfect, it comes complete with hyperlink, so you can click on it and get the webpage from the WP document.

Oh, the nasty thing about the 'click here' in an email is that it's frequently used for scams and physhing - I get a lot supposedly from ebay and PayPal. I never use those, if it's an email saying there's a problem with an account, I go to the account webpage. Frequently if you click on 'reply' the return email address will have a ghost address behind it. I've always wondered how they did that...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I started using Netscape when it was Navigator 2.0, and believe me, it's changed a LOT. And Firefox is labelled Mozilla Firefox on my puter, it just doesn't feel right to me. It's probably due somewhat to my vision difficulties, but the colors are off and unpleasant [and don't say I can change them]. I did say somewhere my attitude wasn't all that rational, it's just a personal preference. Now I've gotten used to IE, and I have hundreds of websites bookmarked that I'd have to spend far too much time moving to another browser.

I've used some of the accessibility things already, I have the fonts all set for me. There are some websites that won't allow themselves to be overwritten that way, though, so I tend to ignore those. My most favorite feature of all, though, is the 'ctrl'/mouse roller. I can change most things with that.

And I can't really download anything, I have a very slow dialup that tends to cut itself off at the most inopportune moments.

The 'links' as opposed to the urls are the ones in emails that say 'click here' to go to wherever. There is a difference between a link and an url. If you copy a link and paste it, you get exactly what you see, which is 'click here.' If you copy an url, you get the http address. And if you paste an url in WordPerfect, it comes complete with hyperlink, so you can click on it and get the webpage from the WP document.

Oh, the nasty thing about the 'click here' in an email is that it's frequently used for scams and physhing - I get a lot supposedly from ebay and PayPal. I never use those, if it's an email saying there's a problem with an account, I go to the account webpage. Frequently if you click on 'reply' the return email address will have a ghost address behind it. I've always wondered how they did that...
Hey Kari,
All of those things are also available in Firefox, and I've found it far easier to use than IE. Regarding the CTRL/Mouse roller; I know what you are talking about, and firefox uses that as well. There are other features that are great in Firefox, such as tabbed browsing where you don't have to open up another instance of your browser to go to another web page; you just press CTRL-T in firefox and a tab pops up and you can have an unlimited number of these tabs for different websites.

BTW, you can import all of your bookmarks from IE into Firefox without a hitch. I understand how it can be if you are accustomed to something and it works for you. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:19 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Mozilla/firfox automatically moved all my "FAVORITES" when I downloaded it. So, we kept all our favorite websites.

Can you hear the fanboy cheering?

I am glad I switched. Besides, when I click on internet, moz opens with only a tiny box for google search. So, you don't get any colors or a bunch of crap like IE. If you want all that crap you can click on one of the tabs ad get news, etc.

We also live rural and this plainsnet is neither DSL, satellite, or broadband. Its actually a radio signal and it is 560 KB/sec. WAyyyy better than our 56KB dial up!

As for the scams, I never reply to those EVER. I did once but I cussed them out and ....

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Hey, Redbird, I'm glad you like the plainsnet. It is way better than dialup, and it is about all that is available for us country folks.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Quote:
It does sound like Firefox is blocking a popup
. As for the latest Acrobat, you shouldn't need that for Youtube. Give me a call if you still have my number redbird and I can walk you through this.
What does it sound like when Fire Fox blocks a pop-up?
I have Fire Fox but I don't use it all of the time.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
What does it sound like when Fire Fox blocks a pop-up?
I have Fire Fox but I don't use it all of the time.
It probably won't make a sound MK. What will happen is you will often see a yellow bar show up on top of your screen that says a pop-up was blocked. In some cases, depending on how your browser is configured, you won't see anything at all.

But, to solve this, you can do the following:

1) Click on the Edit menu, and then choose Preferences.

2) From the box that pops up, choose Content.

3) To the right of the "Block Pop-Up Windows" click on Exceptions.

4) Where is says "Address of Web site:" type in "www.youtube.com" (or any other website you wish to unconditionally allow).

5) Click on Allow, Close, and then Close again.

Done!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:30 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Yes I have the same system for blocking certain websites,
mine goes"thump"!!! but you can change it to any sound you want it to make.
I change alot the sounds my PC.

Like the "chime" sound when you get with Yahoo Instant messages. I changed it to when I get an Email I get that chime.

And when I get an Instant Message I get the original "Yaaahooooooooo!" like you hear on TV.

And when one of my contacts come on line I get the sound of a "door bell" and when they go off I get the sound of a "Squeaky door".

Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Yes I have the same system for blocking certain websites,
mine goes"thump"!!! but you can change it to any sound you want it to make.
I change alot the sounds my PC.

Like the "chime" sound when you get with Yahoo Instant messages. I changed it to when I get an Email I get that chime.

And when I get an Instant Message I get the original "Yaaahooooooooo!" like you hear on TV.

And when one of my contacts come on line I get the sound of a "door bell" and when they go off I get the sound of a "Squeaky door".
You are quite the audiophile Mr. Farnam..

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I was just going to ask you about this.

When I click on EDIT, there is no Preferences....

Quote:

But, to solve this, you can do the following:

1) Click on the Edit menu, and then choose Preferences.

2) From the box that pops up, choose Content.

3) To the right of the "Block Pop-Up Windows" click on Exceptions.

4) Where is says "Address of Web site:" type in "www.youtube.com" (or any other website you wish to unconditionally allow).

5) Click on Allow, Close, and then Close again.

Done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma