Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas or neighborhoods of Oklahoma where one might find a1950's style brick rancher? I know these are not very sought after and are considered out-of-date, but that is the type of house I was raised in and I have fond memories of it. I would like to find one to re-do/remodel and update. Were any homes of this type built in Oklahoma? Thanks for any feedback! I really enjoy this forum, and I am especially appreciative of the wonderful photos submitted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,618,555 times
I think so. Like in one of these pictures? I get a thought in my mind about the houses built near Deaconess hospital but I would like to know exactly what you mean.

Ranch-style house - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2007, 04:43 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
We have a lot of houses like that in Ok. I don't like them even though my parents bought one in the 50s. I prefered the one they had before that was old and run down--a wood framed one.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Yes, those are exactly the type I'm talking about, big, out-of-date "picture windows" and all! I know a lot of people don't like them, they're kind of ugly, have low ceilings, small rooms, and lack the preferred, open living spaces of today's homes, but I've always had a warm feeling of nostalgia about them. Thanks Peggy and Jessaka. Actually, I had the old, wood frame "little white farmhouse" on a couple of acres in North Carolina, and I loved it, but I'm looking for something possibly a little different this time.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM

There are a lot of those around, built in the 1950s & 60s. I don't really like the open spaces of the new homes. More smaller rooms give you more wall space for bookcases and hanging pictures. I think there would be some that were much better built than today's newer homes.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
There are a lot of those around, built in the 1950s & 60s. I don't really like the open spaces of the new homes. More smaller rooms give you more wall space for bookcases and hanging pictures. I think there would be some that were much better built than today's newer homes.
That's how I feel, too, Peggy. All these houses listed on the websites shout "open spaces" "open floor plan". I prefer walls. I like a dining room to be a room, not a space. I don't need two living rooms (who does?) I want an eat-in kitchen (with walls), a formal dining room (with walls) and one living room (with fireplace). And every bathroom in these homes has two sinks. What's that all about? Can't you take your shower while he shaves? And I'm worried that I have to increase my wardrobe to fill up the "two walk-in closets" in the master bedroom. Will everyone think I'm poor because I don't have enough clothes?

I REALLY think my age is showing now.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Before we moved, we lived in one of those houses. It had a "great room" that made it very hard to arrange furniture. If the television is on one wall, the chairs had to be in the middle of the room. Then there were no plugs for the lamps on the end tables by the chairs. The dining area just extended off the great room. I never did figure out why we needed 2 sinks in the bathroom. Well, my husband has a beard so he doesn't spend much time at the sink shaving.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
That's how I feel, too, Peggy. All these houses listed on the websites shout "open spaces" "open floor plan". I prefer walls. I like a dining room to be a room, not a space. I don't need two living rooms (who does?) I want an eat-in kitchen (with walls), a formal dining room (with walls) and one living room (with fireplace). And every bathroom in these homes has two sinks. What's that all about? Can't you take your shower while he shaves? And I'm worried that I have to increase my wardrobe to fill up the "two walk-in closets" in the master bedroom. Will everyone think I'm poor because I don't have enough clothes?

I REALLY think my age is showing now.
Oh Thank GOD!! I was beginning to think that the husband and I were the only people in the world who do not like "open floor plans"! I agree with everything you said except about the two living areas. After living for the last several years in a mobile home with a living/computer/extra bedroom and now school room I want that second living are a.k.a "family room" BADLY. I need a room that I can actually keep tidy and one for the family to relax in.

We want a dining room that is an actual room and a kitchen that has a door that we can close (I actually like pocket style doors myself ). That way if there is a mess in there it can not be seen when we answer our front door.

I do not know how or why these open floor plans became so prevalent but I really wish more homes were like what you just described.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:21 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
I don't like open spaces. My husband insisted on putting a small arch from the living room into the kitchen and from the kitchen into the dining room and laundry room, and I would rather have doors. So you can imagine how I hate open spaces. He even wants a pass through from the kitchen to the dining room. Yipes! But I guess I can live with it.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:26 AM

I like the pocket doors too. They are so space saving, you don't have to leave room for the door to open. My mom's house had those and they worked for years. Her house was really well built though. I have been in other houses and the pocket doors didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma