Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times

Advertisements

I say we tax the dog out of 'em for moving here. We could use the funds to build OU's new football stadium.

*For up-tight people, please note sarcasm.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 AM

778 posts, read 2,322,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
It people like you that actually end up ruining a once great spot.

"Hey everyone!! Move here!. There's no traffic, and our schools aren't crowded!!"

You know one of these magazines wrote an article like this about Ashville NC. That caused hordes of outsiders to flee their problem areas and infiltrate the area.. But as expected they brought all their problems with them.

Now Ashville NC is not the once hidden town it used to be. My Dad's farm house now sits adjacent to a home that was raided for meth. Crime is up and it's just too crowded.

all because someone said "Hey y'all. Move here!"
People like me? Who dare to want a little prosperity in their home state? Mmkay

Since the dawn of this nation, people have been moving to places they at a minimum percieve to have more opportunies and a better lifestyle. Why should it suddenly change now?

As someone who professes to know a lot about OK History and the Land Run, I am sure you appreciate this fact. Unless you are a tribal member families came here by choice.

The only constant in life is change. Places that remain static are a rarity and are usually doing so because there is something wrong. OK was very static back in the 80's, largely because this state was in the toilet. My mom's family has been in this state for ages...I myself am a fourth generation Okie although I've lived all over. Probably half my extended family left the state between 1985 and 1995 for DFW, KC, etc. No opportunities, no jobs, no hope in this state back then, but hey at least things didn't change!

If you think that way of life and those times were somehow superior than what it is now, I think you wil find yourself in a very lonely minority.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:30 PM

101 posts, read 122,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post

Since the dawn of this nation, people have been moving to places they at a minimum percieve to have more opportunies and a better lifestyle. Why should it suddenly change now?

As someone who professes to know a lot about OK History and the Land Run, I am sure you appreciate this fact. Unless you are a tribal member families came here by choice.

The only constant in life is change. Places that remain static are a rarity and are usually doing so because there is something wrong. OK was very static back in the 80's, largely because this state was in the toilet. My mom's family has been in this state for ages...I myself am a fourth generation Okie although I've lived all over. Probably half my extended family left the state between 1985 and 1995 for DFW, KC, etc. No opportunities, no jobs, no hope in this state back then, but hey at least things didn't change!

If you think that way of life and those times were somehow superior than what it is now, I think you wil find yourself in a very lonely minority.
I think we all want Oklahoma to keep bettering itself and taking steps in the right direction. People in OKC are definitely experiencing a "renaissance" in terms of quality of life and city growth. People nationally are becoming accustomed to thinking of Oklahoma City as a "City on the Rise" and the OKC Thunder have been a large part of the image boost.

People from all over are moving to Oklahoma City and account for the extra couple percentage points or so that's been added to the growth that OKC historically sees from people moving in from smaller towns around Oklahoma. This is having a huge impact on life in OKC and has both good and bad associated with it.

I feel that Oklahoma City has tried to become more like Austin, Portland, etc. and has lost some of the nuances that made it Oklahoma City. Other forums (and people around OKC) seem to want OKC to rival places like Dallas and Houston and to grow exponentially so that more skyscrapers will be built like it will mean that we won't be considered a cowtown or backwater or whatever.

My problem with the transformation of OKC has been that we aren't becoming a better version of Oklahoma City but instead we are becoming just another city in America. Crime and traffic are worse. There's more money in OKC yet I see more homeless people. We're trading local drug stores for national chains.

The more "transplants" that move to OKC, the more the culture of OKC changes. "Transplants" won't necessarily appreciate or respect the same things that the "natives" do.

It's not all bad by any means, but we can't forget to keep the "Oklahomaness" in Oklahoma.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:04 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Default New York Times Article on OKC's Affordability and Quality of Life

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/04/bu...es-inland.html

Fantastic read if you have time.

I'm posting this here on the state forum since a lot of what was said here can be applied to Tulsa.

I moved out of OK in 1976 and ended up in California in 1978 , and listen the California gold rush is over.
There are a 101 more things to do and a 101 better things to do here in CA , but you can only afford to
do one or two of them ( Big Sheep Eating Grin ).....lol.....

What good is living a fantastic lifestyle that you can not bank roll , therefore the middle class are abandoning the GOLDEN STATE BY THE CARGO SHIP LOAD.

The millionaires and Billionaires however will never LEAVE California it's to over whelming sexy and
beautiful....lol.....

Tulsa OK is the exact opposite of a OKC it's a DINO ran by an establishment dead set against any progressive change.

Last edited by Howest2008; 08-08-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 05:05 PM

374 posts, read 806,988 times
Quote:

What benefit do you get from making Oklahoma City more like every other over crowded metropolis in the country? What is the allure of making the city bigger? What benefit do you get from thumping your chest over articles like this?

Old 08-09-2014, 06:41 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
What benefit do you get from making Oklahoma City more like every other over crowded metropolis in the country? What is the allure of making the city bigger? What benefit do you get from thumping your chest over articles like this?
Only a really backwards thinking person would take this tack about an article that reflects positively on our city.

For starters anyone from out of state that actually even READS this article is going to say that's nice or maybe, I didn't know that about OKC and then go happily on their merry way. Nobody is going to read it and start packing their bags to move here.

OKC has faced image problems for 75 years. Some deserved but most not. OKC is trying to reverse that image and I for one am not going to throw rocks at somebody who has taken the time to notice.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Only a really backwards thinking person would take this tack about an article that reflects positively on our city.

For starters anyone from out of state that actually even READS this article is going to say that's nice or maybe, I didn't know that about OKC and then go happily on their merry way. Nobody is going to read it and start packing their bags to move here.

OKC has faced image problems for 75 years. Some deserved but most not. OKC is trying to reverse that image and I for one am not going to throw rocks at somebody who has taken the time to notice.
Why are you toting his water? We know why you want more people to move here. You think it will turn Oklahoma blue.

I want to hear from him.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Why are you toting his water? We know why you want more people to move here. You think it will turn Oklahoma blue.

I want to hear from him.
As I have said on many threads previously. Liberals aren't moving here because Oklahoma doesn't have that much appeal to them. It never has and it never will. You are the only one that doesn't understand that. Maybe SF#1 will 'splain it to you further since you want to hear from him.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
"I feel that Oklahoma City has tried to become more like Austin, Portland, etc. and has lost some of the nuances that made it Oklahoma City. Other forums (and people around OKC) seem to want OKC to rival places like Dallas and Houston and to grow exponentially so that more skyscrapers will be built like it will mean that we won't be considered a cowtown or backwater or whatever."

I will never understand how someone can feel such information, but I realize people sometimes say they feel, when they mean they think. Excuse me, but saying I feel or I find instead of I think is one of my language pet peeves. I also don't know about any other forums and people around OKC wanting Oklahoma City to be like Austin or other places. I suspect many in OKC have never been to Austin. Rival Dallas and Houston? That'll be the day. To say other forums want this or that is such a generality it doesn't make sense. What other forums? Did a group of strangers vote or what? What I've read about Portland surely isn't what people want for Oklahoma City. Where is that information? I can't say what other people want because I don't know and neither does anyone else. Some people post maps that aren't applicable to whatever they are trying to prove and I suppose they think readers are impressed.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM

People that think attracting more people to live in Oklahoma City is a good idea have never lived in a major city..nor have they experienced the consequences of urban sprawl or over crowding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma