Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:25 PM

374 posts, read 806,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As I have said on many threads previously. Liberals aren't moving here because Oklahoma doesn't have that much appeal to them. It never has and it never will. You are the only one that doesn't understand that. Maybe SF#1 will 'splain it to you further since you want to hear from him.
The accept that you live in the south and stop fantasizing about a midwestern utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 05:40 PM

101 posts, read 122,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
"I feel that Oklahoma City has tried to become more like Austin, Portland, etc. and has lost some of the nuances that made it Oklahoma City. Other forums (and people around OKC) seem to want OKC to rival places like Dallas and Houston and to grow exponentially so that more skyscrapers will be built like it will mean that we won't be considered a cowtown or backwater or whatever."

I will never understand how someone can feel such information, but I realize people sometimes say they feel, when they mean they think. Excuse me, but saying I feel or I find instead of I think is one of my language pet peeves. I also don't know about any other forums and people around OKC wanting Oklahoma City to be like Austin or other places. I suspect many in OKC have never been to Austin. Rival Dallas and Houston? That'll be the day. To say other forums want this or that is such a generality it doesn't make sense. What other forums? Did a group of strangers vote or what? What I've read about Portland surely isn't what people want for Oklahoma City. Where is that information? I can't say what other people want because I don't know and neither does anyone else. Some people post maps that aren't applicable to whatever they are trying to prove and I suppose they think readers are impressed.
Rubi3, I apologize for offending you as that was never the intent of any of my posts. Every map I've posted I found to be relevant to my point, but perhaps I've failed to explain them in a way that makes them useful. The forum I'm specifically talking about is OKCTalk.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
What benefit do you get from making Oklahoma City more like every other over crowded metropolis in the country? What is the allure of making the city bigger? What benefit do you get from thumping your chest over articles like this?
To torture you

But in all seriousness, I did not post this article to thump my chest. Why should I shy away from posting when people from outside OKC say good things? Would you prefer people just troll on here?

I am a stakeholder in the community. I own property even though I have since relocated. I have lots of friends and family living and working in the city. But more importantly than that, I grew to enjoy OKC and want it to grow and prosper. The vast majority of people who live there have some vested interest in seeing it grow, as with any community. I am not sure what else there is to explain

Sure there can be problems with unfettered growth. I don't think we are anywhere near getting to an Austin or Dallas situation, in terms of traffic or crowding. Then again, I am not a glass half empty person who is against everything that may inconvenience me.

Speaking of, I do not get your level of hostility but I am starting to understand your negativity towards people on this forum, particularly newcomers. Frankly I do not know how you are still on here...I've seen people get banned for much less. But that's not my decision. In regards to this, however, the city is growing, the mayor and elected officials have embraced and planned for growth, and I think most people in OKC have now come to expect it. So this whole conversation is moot, really.

If it really bothers you, I am sure there are several stagnant towns in this state that haven't changed since the 50s. Maybe these areas would be more to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma