Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is all true and its why I can't stand when people use the "low cost of living" attribute to try to sell Oklahoma. Insurance here is so expensive that it eats up any savings from other things being less expensive. I moved here from a vibrant metropolitan area with a supposed higher cost of living, but I have much less disposable income here because of insurance. The sky-high rates are across the board whether its home, renters, or car insurance. It is understandable that insurance is high here. Central Oklahoma is perhaps one of the most vulnerable areas on the planet to natural disasters. However, it shouldn't be quadruple what it was where I used to live.

The only thing that's really cheaper in Oklahoma is suburban housing. Beyond that, "low cost of living" is a farce.
You're so right about the high cost of insurance in Oklahoma. Last year, the cost for me to insure my home and two cars was $3,000. I could hardly believe how high it went up to, so went shopping for insurance elsewhere and got it down to $2,000. Anyway, I would advise people thinking about leaving Oklahoma to go ahead and do it. Who knows how much worse it's going to get from having bad government in charge? The Christian conservative mindset that rules keeps Oklahoma stuck in the Dark Ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Just felt that one all the way down here in SW OK at 7:45 PM.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,709 times
I felt it here in Duncan. I was in the bedroom and felt it, but my husband was in the living room and didn't feel it at all. When I came out of the bedroom to ask him about it, he thought I was joking.

KFOR in OKC is saying it's a 5.3 near Cushing. Of course, that might be re-evaluated. Wonder how it was for the CD poster that lives in Cushing?

Old 11-06-2016, 07:15 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
I felt it here in Duncan. I was in the bedroom and felt it, but my husband was in the living room and didn't feel it at all. When I came out of the bedroom to ask him about it, he thought I was joking.

KFOR in OKC is saying it's a 5.3 near Cushing. Of course, that might be re-evaluated. Wonder how it was for the CD poster that lives in Cushing?

It didn't last long (2-3 seconds) but it was very odd... not like the couple I felt when I lived in California. SIL in Poteau didn't feel it.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:22 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,709 times
I just spoke with a relative who lives right near the Moore-Norman city limits line. He didn't feel the earthquake at all. Weird!

Old 11-06-2016, 08:34 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
Felt it more than any others here in Yukon. And this one lasted longer than a few seconds for us.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:40 PM

Finally, a widespread quake happens at a time when most people didn't sleep through it. It was downgraded to 5.0. I definitely sensed it in Stillwater. When I hear my French doors rattling, I know it can only be an earthquake going on. It lasted at least 10-15 seconds. It wasn't as scary as the 5.8 quake from Sept.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-06-2016 at 09:21 PM..

Old 11-06-2016, 09:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I was just about to feed the dogs, and they were running around barking when it started. It was very loud. It felt like it jerked, then the power went out. It wasn't a rolling one, but a couple at least of slips. I went outside. It popped one door which doesn't latch open. My house is pretty well supported but my sil's house is on posts, and she's going to have to have it leveled. I'm told by a neighbor that the old downtown collapsed, and the apartment in the area had the third floor collapse on the second.

This one just felt dangerous. I'm reconsidering my son's wanting me to move where he is moving in Utah....

Still waiting for number two....

Old 11-06-2016, 09:25 PM

In Stillwater, there was a constant rumbling noise, but not very loud. Cushing damage sounds plenty bad. It's scary to think what one of those 5.0 or worse earthquakes will be like if one happens at or near the city limits of Stillwater. I don't know how well OSU buildings can take it.

I hope Cushing people will have the good sense to vote for the Democrat candidate for state house. The best a Republican will tell you is you better buy earthquake insurance, if you haven't already.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Finally, a widespread quake happens at a time when most people didn't sleep through it. It was downgraded to 5.0. I definitely sensed it in Stillwater. When I hear my French door rattling, I know it can only be an earthquake going on. It lasted at least 10-15 seconds. It wasn't as scary as the 5.8 quake from Sept.
That one was wierd, and I was sound asleep. When I woke up it was almost dreamlike. I didn't figure out it was a quake until it stopped. This one I immediately went into emergency mode from all the prior experience in California. There was a very loud roar, and a big slip/shake. The power went out. The house was shaking like something was bouncing it. I just held onto my chair and completely forgot there was a hanging light above me. It seemed to last some time. Then, everything dark, it stopped. I just held on waiting, and the dogs were going crazy barking. I just stayed put until I was sure it was done, then got myself to where I left a flashlight, and checked for anything but so far as I know I have no damage. My sil, who lives in town, has her foudation leveled with supports and she could tell at least some had fallen. When I went outside, all the neighbors were out. Nobody had damage, but was on edge.

There was a lot of damage a few blocks away in the old town area. At least some of the businesses were damaged, and there were brick falls. Since they are old buildings I assume all of them will be checked for hidden damage. The apartment for seniors had a floor collapse, but at least when the news was on there were no reports of injuries. No reports of damage to gas lines either but I'll bet come morning every single one will be checked.

I've never been this close to an epicenter. This one shook as hard as some of the big ones out in California too, at least this close. But I might reconsider the idea of moving closer to my son who lives in Utah.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma