Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, one of the major reasons why the state doesn't do more to try to control the earthquakes is because the centers of the strongest ones have been happening too far away from the two biggest cities. So many, many thousands of people don't experience anywhere near the full, frightening and damaging effects. The hot spots for earthquakes closest to Oklahoma City, meaning the Langston, Guthrie and Edmond areas have settled down quite a bit. But if they come back alive worse than ever, like with a 5.0+, it will be interesting to see what the response will be like. Because the voices of a million plus people from the OKC area are going to be a hell of a lot more louder and annoying to state leaders than the several thousand or so people from tiny stricken areas, such as Fairview, Medford and Pawnee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 12:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In my opinion, one of the major reasons why the state doesn't do more to try to control the earthquakes is because the centers of the strongest ones have been happening too far away from the two biggest cities. So many, many thousands of people don't experience anywhere near the full, frightening and damaging effects. The hot spots for earthquakes closest to Oklahoma City, meaning the Langston, Guthrie and Edmond areas have settled down quite a bit. But if they come back alive worse than ever, like with a 5.0+, it will be interesting to see what the response will be like. Because the voices of a million plus people from the OKC area are going to be a hell of a lot more louder and annoying to state leaders than the several thousand or so people from tiny stricken areas, such as Fairview, Medford and Pawnee.
Exactly. Damage in small towns won't be noticed much in the overall scheme of things. Should Stillwater be hit with a larger quake, it would draw more attention. What about one right in the middle of a major football game with the stands full? Maybe on tv?

Old 11-30-2016, 07:12 PM

We had a small little shake, one of those you barely notice but come before bigger ones, a hour or so ago. I really hoped we didn't have a bigger one, not when I'm dressed in multiple layers, the whole hours heater having died and the new one not here yet. BRRRRRRRRRRR

I worry more about quakes in winter since the gas heater will be on and if you have to wait outside the three layers I've got on now won't be enough.

The new heater is the kind where it heats a plate instead of the faux fireplace too so I feel more comfortable with it. I just want it here and heating. Brrrrrrrrrrr

Old 12-06-2016, 06:00 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,954 times
American Legion receives a check to help rebuild earthquake damaged building

The American Legion building which was severely damaged by the earthquake Sunday, November 6th (2016) will have to be demolished prior to any new construction. Oklahoma American Veterans News presented Farrel Kleckner with a $1,000 check to help with rebuilding.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 PM

840 posts, read 3,466,954 times
Here we go again...It starts on the weekend...and seems to carry on for awhile.

Earthquakes

December 4th - 3.9 in Cushing was on a Sunday, at 9:22 pm.
- 2.8 up the road from Cushing, in Pawnee, on the same Sunday at 11:12 pm

Then, less than 4 hours later at 2:58 am Cushing got a 3.6...and at 5:15 am Pawnee got a 2.7
The morning after that Cushing got a 3.5 (another report shows it north of Yale, but Yale is close to Cushing.)

Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
Here we go again...It starts on the weekend...and seems to carry on for awhile.

Earthquakes

December 4th - 3.9 in Cushing was on a Sunday, at 9:22 pm.
- 2.8 up the road from Cushing, in Pawnee, on the same Sunday at 11:12 pm

Then, less than 4 hours later at 2:58 am Cushing got a 3.6...and at 5:15 am Pawnee got a 2.7
The morning after that Cushing got a 3.5 (another report shows it north of Yale, but Yale is close to Cushing.)
I haven't been feeling those, but still worry about another 5.0+ earthquake coming. Small earthquakes under 4.0 in magnitude don't seem to rile people up much, especially when they take place when most people are in bed asleep.

Surely, Oklahoma Republicans feel emboldened from having 7 more legislators at the State Capitol. It will be interesting to see if they will try to pass a law to protect oil companies from being sued for damages from the earthquakes. Maybe the reasoning will be that oil companies shouldn't have to pay for damages from earthquakes any more than that do from tornadoes.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Exactly. Damage in small towns won't be noticed much in the overall scheme of things. Should Stillwater be hit with a larger quake, it would draw more attention. What about one right in the middle of a major football game with the stands full? Maybe on tv?
Yep, very true. I can just see if the stadium got major damage it would be swarming with reporters talking about how much and how long to rebuild, and a passing look at the campus. Forget older homes, after all they don't get the protection of the football gods.

The house is finally warm, thank the heater gods. I'm also pretty sure if the heater fell it shuts off but am going to check.. And I do need a strap for the hot water heater.

Did anyone get the offer to join the lawsuit from Drummond Law about a law suit against the companies fraking doing salt water drilling in the area. It's not the class action suit now being discussed as well, but a suit of individuals grouping together for compensation. They win, you get money, they lose, you have fees to pay. Still thinking about it. Very tempted.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
You people need to get them to stop fracking. That the cause of these earthquakes and until the public stands up to these politicians and demands they stop. You will be plagued by these earthquakes for a long time. This is what happens when you "drill baby drill". The earth can't take much more abuse in your area.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You people need to get them to stop fracking. That the cause of these earthquakes and until the public stands up to these politicians and demands they stop. You will be plagued by these earthquakes for a long time. This is what happens when you "drill baby drill". The earth can't take much more abuse in your area.
They have been needing told that ever since Nov. of 2011 when I felt the first earthquake in my life and then days later felt my 2nd earthquake noticeably stronger than the first one. Then a few days later felt my third earthquake during a thunderstorm. I heard a thundery noise and heard my French doors rattle and told myself that wasn't thunder from the storm, it was an earthquake.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:23 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Use your power of voting them out if they don't put a stop to it. That is unconscionable that they keep fracking knowing the results are going to destroy your home and maybe you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma