Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,490,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Interesting update on the quake. The USGS has determined a previously unknown fault running through the oil field area was reawakened by the seventeen injection wells. They are also warning it VERY likely there will be at least one other 4.O aftershocks which will hit the whole central OK area. The seventeen wells are being shut and will remain that way, but the industry is not happy. It appears the loss in production will hit the production in the larger area and lead to less production in the rest. They are of course thinking dollars, not human needs so should be shusshed.

So we have a new fault which produces 4.0 quakes and the risk for more. And they urge schools to begin the drop and roll drills in schools I grew up with in California. Might practice at home too. I lived with quakes too long to put large heavy things on walls so they could fall on you.

Who wants to bet the oil companies will continue to whine and say they have to find a way around it. Soooooo glad I'm leaving.
So I wonder. Have oil companies been getting fined for not complying with requests made by the OCC? If not, who knows how many oil companies will simply keep on merrily doing what they have been doing? Maybe the threat of getting sued big time will make the oil companies have second thoughts for what they are doing. I don't think Oklahoma taxpayers want handed the bills for their damages.

A hot spot that had slacked off, Medford, started acting up again today. If it's getting ready for a big one, I'm glad it's further away from Stillwater than the Pawnee area. Also that area to the WSW of Perry has been active for a long time and has me worried if a big one is getting ready to come from there. Maybe the threat of getting sued big time will make the oil companies have second thoughts for what they are doing. I don't think Oklahoma taxpayers want their bills for damages.

I don't know how much more frightfully worse the earthquakes have to be before they decide to shut down all disposal wells and make sure it gets done. However, with all that water forced down there, probably where it is not naturally supposed to be, doing that is no guarantee that earthquakes will stop or subside much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:54 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So I wonder. Have oil companies been getting fined for not complying with requests made by the OCC? If not, who knows how many oil companies will simply keep on merrily doing what they have been doing? Maybe the threat of getting sued big time will make the oil companies have second thoughts for what they are doing. I don't think Oklahoma taxpayers want handed the bills for their damages.

A hot spot that had slacked off, Medford, started acting up again today. If it's getting ready for a big one, I'm glad it's further away from Stillwater than the Pawnee area. Also that area to the WSW of Perry has been active for a long time and has me worried if a big one is getting ready to come from there. Maybe the threat of getting sued big time will make the oil companies have second thoughts for what they are doing. I don't think Oklahoma taxpayers want their bills for damages.

I don't know how much more frightfully worse the earthquakes have to be before they decide to shut down all disposal wells and make sure it gets done. However, with all that water forced down there, probably where it is not naturally supposed to be, doing that is no guarantee that earthquakes will stop or subside much.
Since I moved here eight years ago, there's been a lot of fixes and improvements to my house. Really, what's left is more shelves and paint. When my son asked if I'd move near them when he and his wife get a house with a mother in law house, I kept thinking of all that work and I'd be leaving it behind. I don't know if there is any damage from the 5.6 quake, but that was the deciding moment that there was really no other option. The new 'little' house might even be bigger than this one and comes with family. I wish winter wasn't dawning and I could move sooner.

I'm a veteran to quakes, and that one scared me more than anything since the big big ones like Northridge. Except the houses are not made to stand here. My cousin was still dealing with repairs to his house five years after Northridge, (they were almost at the epicenter) when they finally sold it to someone else to muddle through fixes.

The tone of 'if we shut these wells, you'll be really sorry' from the oil people rings empty to me, and probably other people who know about the real potential and don't want to live in a quake hot zone, but I fear that the politicans will fall for something. The people who live in 80 year old houses which may not last don't matter. The newer not to quake standards houses out in the new suburbs don't matter. Just the dollar they make off wells which could destroy matter. They don't live here anyway.

I will miss my house. From what I can see with looking at them online, my new little house may be larger. It will be newer but not the 80 plus years of solid this one is. I'm not sure how I'm going to take snow. But i worry more about being able to sell my little house if we keep having quakes which wake you out of a sound sleep. (still moving, anyway)

And all that water cycling through layers of deep earth which isn't supposed to be there, slipping and sliding... how can anyone blindly discount that it will remain and what it brings should be of EVERYONE's concern.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,325,368 times
Earthquakes are a real danger. They are natural in large part yet man thinks he can control or limit the damage they cause. I hope we can but insist on measures we know will help not just more regulation hoping for help. I am not expert nor know who I can trust these days with the politics at play in research and government. We desperately need a credible trusted source and need it quickly. Perhaps we can find scientist who are science oriented and trust them for a common measure to put in place and do so quickly.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Earthquakes are a real danger. They are natural in large part yet man thinks he can control or limit the damage they cause. I hope we can but insist on measures we know will help not just more regulation hoping for help. I am not expert nor know who I can trust these days with the politics at play in research and government. We desperately need a credible trusted source and need it quickly. Perhaps we can find scientist who are science oriented and trust them for a common measure to put in place and do so quickly.
I assume the USGS is science oriented, and acts with due caution. That the two wells that will hit the income have been ordered shut down and its being resisted shows that not all parties really care about the science. People who live in the pathway of quakes do, and the cities effected should, but its those with no local interest except dollar signs which will use that to marginalize the danger.

The quake is now up to 5.8.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,740,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I assume the USGS is science oriented, and acts with due caution. That the two wells that will hit the income have been ordered shut down and its being resisted shows that not all parties really care about the science. People who live in the pathway of quakes do, and the cities effected should, but its those with no local interest except dollar signs which will use that to marginalize the danger.

The quake is now up to 5.8.
The oil executives have their beach timeshares far away from the danger zone. They don't care about us little people who have to live in this place called Oklahoma. They only care about the money and padding their own pockets no matter the cost.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:05 AM

23,967 posts, read 10,303,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The oil executives have their beach timeshares far away from the danger zone. They don't care about us little people who have to live in this place called Oklahoma. They only care about the money and padding their own pockets no matter the cost.
You are using "us" in connection with Oklahoma?

TGIF

Old 09-09-2016, 01:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,490,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The next big earthquake needs to take place centered under Oklahoma City, so that the well off powers that be can feel it real good and up close in the State Capitol, the governor's mansion, at Nichols Hills and in the Devon Tower. It's gotta be even scarier to experience a strong earthquake in a skyscraper, because there is no quick way to get out, although exiting outside is discouraged, due to falling pieces of debris.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:32 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,740,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You are using "us" in connection with Oklahoma?

TGIF
I don't consider myself an Oklahoman or an Okie and would never use "us" or "we" in regards to Oklahoma, but in this regard "us" applies to anybody who lives here (or anywhere in the danger zone from these quakes).

Old 09-11-2016, 03:42 PM

251 posts, read 339,432 times
USGS Warns Oklahomans It's Time To "Start Preparing For Earthquakes Like Californians" | Zero Hedge

Old 09-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Start by walking around your house. Do you have shelves which are near where people sit or sleep full of stuff, especially heavy stuff? Are the shelves pinned to the wall or will the whole thing fall? Fix that, make sure nothing heavy is sitting on the wall to hit you, your family, friends, pets.

Then get your water pipes checked. Will it crack? And if you have brick, especially OLD brick, don't sit a chair under it, or a bed, or the kids playing corner. Keep the upper walls for light objects, and make sure things like paintings are securely atteched.

I grew up in the quake zone, so I never put anything in falling range but its a simple thing to prevent a mess or someone hurt, and even less strong quakes commonly knock things off.

Make sure lights and fans attached to the ceiling are properly anchored, and NEVER put your bed under anything which can fall off.

Us California expats should have kept up the cautions we already knew.

If New Madrid is awake then the quake zone will be larger than it is not. Would the oil profits the oil companies are worrying about be worth that in the end? Too bad we don't have a time machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma