Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
You certainly get defensive about it, enough to go out of your way to target me and Atlguy. It might be a great place, but it might not work for them either. Mind you they have to live wherever they choose too.

Uh... nice list? It sure beats my experiences living in Europe and Asia-- both willingly, not military. You may have lived in those places, but you came here willingly. And I can't make it? I was doing just fine at home until the recession hit, and my city went down hard because of it. Oh, and the cancer too. When that happened it pretty much erased my savings. And now I have people like you that contribute to the stigma against Oklahoma on the national level, which makes it that much harder to find a job because they're likely seeing that address first. On top of that, the jobs I'm looking for that are here are pretty much all Oklahoma companies, so getting a job with one of them and transferring isn't an option. If you think I'm a minority, you're wrong. The comments people made before I moved here were funny: "They lynch people like you in Oklahoma", "Is there even a city there?", "Do you have a death wish?" I could go on... but keep in mind that's also a city that's typically more welcoming of outsiders. It's just how the country sees this state.

Hmm... since coming to Oklahoma I considered a job at the research station in Antarctica, but I can't take my dog so I didn't apply. I did, however, apply for a job in Iraq because I'd rather live there than here. The government cancelled that position though. I also applied for a job in Kenya, but never heard anything back from them. In terms of where I want to live, think of a real city, not a super suburb like OKC.
I can relate to the recession experience. Thats why I came here. It was a chance to recover my career, and it worked. But I didn't know I'd have to choose between career and personal life. Sheesh! I think its hard for anyone moving anywhere where they don't know anyone, but I also think its harder in this town because of what we've already discussed. Its hard for me as an introvert anyway, but I make a huge effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
And there is a good possibility the malcontents in Oklahoma would be malcontents in any other state they lived it. They are malcontent. Period. And they carry it wherever they go.

I wouldn't be willing to stay in a place if I disliked it as much as the malcontents seem to dislike Oklahoma. I feel sorry for them that they are so tied to a job, they can't change their circumstances. Sorta like when I smoked, nicotine ruled my life, but I finally changed that by quitting the habit. Very difficult to do, but I did it and was willing to spend the effort it took.
I wasn't malcontent in Atlanta, except with the career situation. Now the career situation is good, but Oklahoma just isn't the friendly, welcoming place that people here make it out to be. Sorry, just my experience, and I came here with an open mind. I had to have hope that I'd like this place and make a life for myself here. The economy in Atlanta is yet again going in the wrong direction. I don't know how long it will take me to get back there, but thats the goal unless I meet a great woman here to settle down with. If so, I'll deal with the awful weather and the bubble mentality and closed mindedness to accepting anyone who isn't from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
No necessarily. Kind of hard to explain unless you have lived in southern California. I miss the tiny little Mom n Pop places that make delicious burritos and tacos. I was raised on that stuff, even though I still like taco bell. <cough> Yes, I admitted that publicly!

It's just one of the few things I miss about southern California. I speak spanish to them and find out where in Mexico they are from. Because trust me, there is a difference in mexican food. (Off topic, I know, but you asked.)

I don't try and get accepted into any clique and just because things were a certain way in other states, I don't use those as a measuring tool. I am happy where I am at and I think that inner happiness is something I carry with me where ever I go. I feel bad there are people like Atlguy who are so unhappy. But I have to ask why is that person unhappy and each person has their own circumstances and personality. Personally, I ENJOY not fitting in, that is my whole personality. I don't want to fit in. I just want to be myself.

I have met a LOT of transplants here. There were countless Okie families that moved away during the depression and a lot of their kids are returning as retirees. I have met two in the past month and <avert your eyes Atlguy> made friends with them.
Oh yes, there is quite a difference in Mexican food depending where the cook learned to make it. And its regional even in the US. Socal had a lot of 'traditional' larger restraunts where you get more the less spicy Mexico City variety, which the one in town in Cushing is, but there are other mexican restraunts out there you need some flame retardant to cool down your mouth. My taste is spicier than the mild but I favored Don Jose's dinner sized burritos. Lots of flavor and spice, but your mouth only burned a little.

A lot of the fast food places were just too overspiced for me. So 'good' mexican food depends a lot on what you like. I do remember when Van de Camps put out frozen 'mexican' dinners, but they tasted like they forgot any spice, but the popular trend hadn't happened yet.

If someone puts a green sauce to dip your toritillas in before you, unless you like fire, beware....

I agree, you don't have to fit in. I spent most of my post jr. high life happily not fitting in in California, and continue it here. I had small islands of pure 'family' I miss, but generally like to be me and take it or leave it. Next Sciience fiction movie I get a chance to see, I've got my trek uniform remade and its ready to show off. With combadge of course.

My family came from Iowa in 1910, and had a 'summer' house in Calif before that, so I guess I'm sort of returning to the old place, but my grandmother, even when my grandfather dumped her for someone else, had a table and food for anyone coming through who was hungry during the depression and the dust bowl refugees and fed quite a few people. She just considered it what you do. So maybe some of her beginnings stuck. I never could figure out why people would ask if I'd lived in the midwest, especially Iowa, when I was a kid since I loved the words and experissions my grandfather used and used them myself.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The point of posting that is that there are malcontents everywhere. The part of the country we are in is what it is. Wichita, Tulsa, OKC, Lincoln, Omaha, Amarillo.

Kansas City, DFW are at a different level and might be more similar to Atlanta. And I get that there might be more ladies in these bigger cities, but there are also more boys chasing those ladies.

I like Kansas ok. It's just too cold in winter.
I actually considered moving there. The really small town in north west Kansas I was visiting for a Jericho convention was extremely friendly and I felt quiet comfortable. It was on the list until I looked up the weather and expecially the actual FEET of snow which piled up in winter. Having never been in snow I find the weather here much more comfortable. The north westerm part of Kansas is in the foothill region of the Rockies and not really 'flat' like the rest is said to be.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Maybe folks should be listening to to what these so called malcontents are saying. Almost all of my young relatives have packed up and moved to other cities out-of-state after graduating college. They all say the same thing, They miss their family but they just can't take living in Oklahoma anymore. They all say it is dull here, nothing to do, people tend to be close minded. A lot of folks say if you don't like it here just leave, well a lot of young folks are doing just that. We all know there is a terrible brain drain here in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma City is really trying to step things up. A lot of you new people cannot believe how much it has changed in the last 15 to 20 years. Oklahoma really needs to do something about the quality of life here. A step in the right direction would be getting rid of our antique liquor laws. Oklahoma needs to try to attract higher-paying jobs, and not trying to attract so many call centers or beef processing plants. I think it is so bizarre how so many of my friends and family think a 10 $12 an hour job is a nice salary.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:54 AM

47 posts, read 52,359 times
Thanks for all the response to my post. The part in red was a mistake that I did not know that I made or how I did it actually. We will be visiting several areas when the time draws closer, but all information is welcomed.

We are pretty much "hombodies" so fitting in is not a critical point, I just don't want my grandson ostracized because he is from somewhere else or because he is different (does not and will not go to public school). He is a bit quirky, screeches and squeals like a girl when he plays but that is due to the type of playing he does. He plays alone most of the time and therefore plays many parts, so you never know really who you are talking to sometimes. My daughter wants a fresh start and is a true people person. she gets along with anyone and at her job handles even the most difficult people with ease. She vents when she comes home but at work she smiles and takes care of the issues at hand. I applaud her, and have told her many times, "good thing it isn't me, I would have been fired or locked up by this time" with some of the people and attitudes that she deals with and the things that people want for free is absolutely amazing. Really???

Anyway, Oklahoma is on the list to take a look at, small, rural, with larger city nearby and Home Depot's are a requirement, preferably larger one because that is where she works and I am a DIY'er.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2014, 05:58 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I can relate to the recession experience. Thats why I came here. It was a chance to recover my career, and it worked. But I didn't know I'd have to choose between career and personal life. Sheesh! I think its hard for anyone moving anywhere where they don't know anyone, but I also think its harder in this town because of what we've already discussed. Its hard for me as an introvert anyway, but I make a huge effort.
Unfortunately I had to make that sacrifice. It wasn't an easy decision. Personally, it doesn't matter to me if I don't know anyone because I can try to meet people in the new city. It just seems to be more difficult to do here than other places I've been. My parents and a few others I've heard from around here describe New Yorkers as the rudest, snobbiest, least friendly people on Earth, but last time I was there many commented how laid back and nice I was, and I found it much easier to talk to them. They came off as more direct, but that stereotype of them isn't accurate in my opinion. I think my normal personality comes out more there, or most anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Maybe folks should be listening to to what these so called malcontents are saying. Almost all of my young relatives have packed up and moved to other cities out-of-state after graduating college. They all say the same thing, They miss their family but they just can't take living in Oklahoma anymore. They all say it is dull here, nothing to do, people tend to be close minded. A lot of folks say if you don't like it here just leave, well a lot of young folks are doing just that. We all know there is a terrible brain drain here in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma City is really trying to step things up. A lot of you new people cannot believe how much it has changed in the last 15 to 20 years. Oklahoma really needs to do something about the quality of life here. A step in the right direction would be getting rid of our antique liquor laws. Oklahoma needs to try to attract higher-paying jobs, and not trying to attract so many call centers or beef processing plants. I think it is so bizarre how so many of my friends and family think a 10 $12 an hour job is a nice salary.
THANK YOU! I don't care where I live and how much I may like it, I know there's always room for improvement. I think dismissing criticism and what people say OKC is lacking is counterproductive. I would think it suggests there is a problem that needs to be fixed, some of which is in the state or city government's control, some of which is reliant on locals, transplants and prospective movers. Oklahoma also has to compete with 49 other states and DC, a number of which already have tremendous advantages over Oklahoma in today's world. I agree with most of what you've said in the second paragraph, but can't really comment on the 15-20 year change because I didn't see anything develop around me. The quality of life needs a lot of improvement in all areas, and I think OKC needs to do a better job of attracting hubs. When I was looking for a job locally, pretty much every job in my industry was with a company with no hopes of transferring because they're Oklahoma only. I think that also reflects a degree of isolation and disconnect from the country.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
You certainly get defensive about it, enough to go out of your way to target me and Atlguy. It might be a great place, but it might not work for them either. Mind you they have to live wherever they choose too.

Uh... nice list? It sure beats my experiences living in Europe and Asia-- both willingly, not military. You may have lived in those places, but you came here willingly. And I can't make it? I was doing just fine at home until the recession hit, and my city went down hard because of it. Oh, and the cancer too. When that happened it pretty much erased my savings. And now I have people like you that contribute to the stigma against Oklahoma on the national level, which makes it that much harder to find a job because they're likely seeing that address first. On top of that, the jobs I'm looking for that are here are pretty much all Oklahoma companies, so getting a job with one of them and transferring isn't an option. If you think I'm a minority, you're wrong. The comments people made before I moved here were funny: "They lynch people like you in Oklahoma", "Is there even a city there?", "Do you have a death wish?" I could go on... but keep in mind that's also a city that's typically more welcoming of outsiders. It's just how the country sees this state.

Hmm... since coming to Oklahoma I considered a job at the research station in Antarctica, but I can't take my dog so I didn't apply. I did, however, apply for a job in Iraq because I'd rather live there than here. The government cancelled that position though. I also applied for a job in Kenya, but never heard anything back from them. In terms of where I want to live, think of a real city, not a super suburb like OKC.
Let's see. Here is a woman who has lived all over the world and can't get out of little Oklahoma. And the "jobs you are looking for are pretty much all Oklahoma companies". If that's the case the only kind of "companies" that are like that are oil and gas companies. It would seem that if that were the case you could AT LEAST get to Texas and get out of here. It would seem like DFW, Houston, or Austin would suit you better.

As for your friends in this city that is typically more welcoming of outsiders. What city is it? Or are you afraid to tell. Tell us what "city" you came from so we can critique it.

And in this same post you tell us that you want to live in a real "city", but you were going to apply for a job in Antarctica??? WTF?

And Kenya? Cool, an impoverished 3rd world country. Nairobi is probably a nice place to live. But I get the adventuresome, exotic aspect of this.

But the topper is "I'd rather live in Iraq than here". If I hated Oklahoma THAT much I'd be on the first bus out of town. But what exactly do you think Iraq would offer you?

The problem I have with you and Atlanta is that you can't bring yourselves to say one redeeming thing about this state. Yet you both choose to stay stuck here and complain. You're young. Do what 1962 said all the young people he knows are doing. Leaving because there isn't enough excitement around here. And I get that. I wouldn't encourage a 'bright lights, big city' to come here, but if they did I'd encourage them to make the best of it instead of constantly complaining.

Our friend from Florida has stated her specific issues. Unlike you she is apparently a grandma with a special needs grandchild. She is in a completely different set of circumstances than you and Atlanta are.

What you are doing would be like me going to kiddie bar and complaining about how the girls didn't give me any attention.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoAnywhereMidwest View Post
Thanks for all the response to my post. The part in red was a mistake that I did not know that I made or how I did it actually. We will be visiting several areas when the time draws closer, but all information is welcomed.

We are pretty much "hombodies" so fitting in is not a critical point, I just don't want my grandson ostracized because he is from somewhere else or because he is different (does not and will not go to public school). He is a bit quirky, screeches and squeals like a girl when he plays but that is due to the type of playing he does. He plays alone most of the time and therefore plays many parts, so you never know really who you are talking to sometimes. My daughter wants a fresh start and is a true people person. she gets along with anyone and at her job handles even the most difficult people with ease. She vents when she comes home but at work she smiles and takes care of the issues at hand. I applaud her, and have told her many times, "good thing it isn't me, I would have been fired or locked up by this time" with some of the people and attitudes that she deals with and the things that people want for free is absolutely amazing. Really???

Anyway, Oklahoma is on the list to take a look at, small, rural, with larger city nearby and Home Depot's are a requirement, preferably larger one because that is where she works and I am a DIY'er.

Thanks
I believe there is a Home Depot in Tulsa. There may be in OKC or surrounding area. I'm very much a 'homebody' too, and am nice to my neighbors and they are nice to me. This is in contrast to when I lived in socal and some couldn't have told you what they looked like, so I prefer this.

Keep in mind when people say that OK is behind other places, that I used to live in Riverside California. There are about the same number of people living in that one county and the whole state of Oklahoma. Everywhere you go there is people. The meth/drug problems happen both places, except the methheads mostly wander around zoned all day there without anyone really noticing them. Generally people have less money but I find if you have less money it makes for a comfortable feel. There are lots of diy'ers here too.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:21 PM

78 posts, read 121,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoAnywhereMidwest View Post

Thanks
All of the Home Depot's in Oklahoma are either in the OKC or Tulsa Metro area's with the exception of one store that is in Ada, OK. Ada is a small town around 20K with a small university. If you are serious about wanting to live in a rural area, then check that place out first.

If you are interested in the Tulsa area then I would suggest looking in the Owasso area. You can find homes close by that have more of a small town or rural setting and be close to the store there just north of Tulsa.

If you are interested in the OKC area, then there is one close to the Bethany area, and one close to the Norman areas. I would suggest either one of those over the North OKC or Edmond locations.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:39 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato bandito View Post
All of the Home Depot's in Oklahoma are either in the OKC or Tulsa Metro area's with the exception of one store that is in Ada, OK. Ada is a small town around 20K with a small university. If you are serious about wanting to live in a rural area, then check that place out first.

If you are interested in the Tulsa area then I would suggest looking in the Owasso area. You can find homes close by that have more of a small town or rural setting and be close to the store there just north of Tulsa.

If you are interested in the OKC area, then there is one close to the Bethany area, and one close to the Norman areas. I would suggest either one of those over the North OKC or Edmond locations.

Good luck with your search.
Lawton has a Home Depot, Lowes, and Sutherlands, a Target and two Wal-Marts (), but I would never consider a big box as a requirement for where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma