U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 AM

4 posts, read 14,004 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what Harrah is like? Possibly moving there so I would like to know about schools, people, and the town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,269,184 times
I lived in Harrah from about 1995 to 2001. I really enjoyed living in Harrah. My daughter went to middle school and high school there until her junior year. I thought the schools were excellent. Much individual attention is given to the students, and the teachers were caring and competent. Harrah schools really motivated her to excel in academics and the arts, and she also participated in sports.

The people I knew in Harrah were middle class people who were involved in the community. It seemed to me that everyone who lived in Harrah was involved in some pet project or activity for the community. Harrah grew up around immigrant people who farmed and later worked at the power plant, many were hard working Polish people.

You can buy the best corn in the world around the end of June, fresh picked from Nowakowski farms.

Quite a few new homes have been built in the area since I moved away, so I don't know how that has affected the town.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 PM

Peggy,

Thanks for the reponse. I want to find a nice small town atmosphere and house where neighbors aren't closing in on me. Seems like there's bigger yards and land for the kids to play on. I'm tired of the small lot sizes where you can hear a neighbors phone ring or their conversations. Looks like they have some space out in Harrah. Does Harrah have gangs, drugs, or anything like that? I want a nice small town with traditional values.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 PM

I don't think anyplace in America is drug free. I don't think it is a druggy town though. As far as gangs, no. It does have kids from the lower economic areas, but they were not criminals. It does have a small town atmosphere, maybe a little churchier than other areas of the metro.

The lots are bigger and there are many little acreages. The Harrah school district goes almost to Wellston, and below I-40.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 13,073 times
Harrah is a nice town I live there.
As far as drugs well no place will be drug free but they do their best to keep the drugs out of the schools by doing random searches of kids lockers at the schools.
The schools are good, small town, a few places to eat, chinese, pizza, barbq, mexian, Sonic, Subway, and Oliver's Pizza and they sell a few things besides pizza like Gyros.
We have two dollar generals one is bigger then the other, a braums, one grocery store, Country boy, Piggly Wiggly (Best Yet) closed their doors. We have a hardware store, small computer store, a few doctors office.
A nice park you can walk in and they have a few things going on their durning the year.
The biggest is in Sept Harrah DAY and its always busy.
Not too small of a town but not too big.
And certain area's yes you can find a home where you can at least 10 acres of land.
Good luck

Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Piggly Wiggly closed its doors? Is it from lack of business? Are people shopping somewhere else? Has Super WalMart taken over the world? Yes, I'm looking for land, but I'll have to wait and see.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 PM

Super WalMart, plus a large grocery store in Midwest City called Crest takes a lot of business from smaller local stores.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,988 times
I am curious.. have you made your move? I moved to Harrah 2 weeks ago. It is just what I needed. I moved back to Oklahoma from Germany and found I really longed for the laid back small town enviroments found there in Germany. So.. after living in OKC for just a few months.... off I moved to Harrah.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Will be visiting Harrah soon and wondering what there is to do for my wife and me. My Mother was born in Harrah in 1919 and my Dad moved there to attend high school. Used to spend my summers there in the 60s and 70s. We used to hang out by the river and eat at a restaurant called Gary's. My Uncle, Louie Andersen was the post master for 45 years. My Grandma lived across the street from the Catholic Church next to the cemetary where she is buried. Any thoughts.

Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma