U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM
 
3,724 posts, read 8,810,306 times
Reputation: 1422

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Loco area in March or April. Can anyone out there give me some info on handymen? Would there be any college students looking for free housing in exchange for some work/transportation, or is that too far to drive? I'll be about 10 miles from town, and I can't drive.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Duncan, OK
2,919 posts, read 6,514,991 times
Reputation: 3139
Hiya karibear! Loco eh? est. population 152. Well aren't you out in the middle of nowhere! Just kidding. We are in Duncan... not too far from you.

10 mi out of town?... do you mind if I ask which direction? Nothing specific, just N,S,E, or W. Our daughter has some friends out in the Velma/Alma area... I can ask around to see if anyone can help you out.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 PM
 
3,724 posts, read 8,810,306 times
Reputation: 1422
I'm not exactly sure - I think it's west. All I know so far is that the place is 1 mile from a quick-stop kind of place at an intersection with a highway, and it has a nice house and 10 acres of land. The perimeter is fenced, but I'll need a smaller area by the house fenced also. I asked the agent what the actual address was, and he couldn't find it!

And I'm very much looking forward to being in the middle of nowhere. It's not that I don't like people, I do, but for one thing I have a very loud cockatoo, and I'm really tired of living in a trailer court where the places are so close we can hear each other snoring.

My biggest problem is going to be transportation - there's not much I can't fix or build myself, I lived in rural Alaska for over 30 years, and believe me, you learn quick or do without. But my vision has deteriorated to the point where I can't legally [or safely] drive any more, and while I can do a lot of things on line, getting materials to build fences, paint, build a barn, etc, is going to take some real life action.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Hughes County, Oklahoma
3,160 posts, read 10,167,127 times
Reputation: 1141
Hi Karibear

I do admire your spirit. Sounds like you are going to have a real adventure. With your experience in Alaska you will be prepared.

If you make a big order, many companies will deliver materials to you. Can you ride a horse? I would post a flyer at the nearby convenience store looking for handyman help when you get to Loco.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM
 
3,724 posts, read 8,810,306 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Hi Karibear

I do admire your spirit. Sounds like you are going to have a real adventure. With your experience in Alaska you will be prepared.

If you make a big order, many companies will deliver materials to you. Can you ride a horse? I would post a flyer at the nearby convenience store looking for handyman help when you get to Loco.
I intend to do that, but I also have a friend who is terrified that I'll end up someplace where that I won't be able to find any help. I'm posting here to see if I can at least make a few contacts before moving.

I can ride, though it's been so long I don't know that I should claim it. I figured with 10 acres, I'd be able to find one or two rescues/retirees who'd be up to a bit of light riding. That will be a change, too, I've spent most of my adult life rescuing other people's throwaway dogs.

It will be an adventure, and I'm looking forward to it. At least I'm better off now than I was when I went to Alaska - then I had 50 cents in my pocket, the promise of a job, and owed for a plane ticket!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,590 times
Reputation: 16
Kari

Loco was my hometown for about 15 years on and off while I was growing up. I've walked every square inch of that town more times than I can count. You'll find that if you ever meet my brother Hank Griffith, who lives in the brick house two blocks from the town's only store, (If you're coming in from Ringling or Healdton, you'd make a right at the intersection of the store and the highway, and Hank's house is two blocks down on the left, with the trailer house a little ways down in the same lot) he can build or fix just about anything. Feel free to tell him I sent you to him. He's a nice fellow who lives alone with his two boys. They go to school in Velma-Alma, btw. Loco, as you know, has no school.

I think that the oddest thing you'll find about Loco is the fact that, although there are fewer than a hundred people living there now, there are 7, count 'em, SEVEN churches. Welcome to Loco. Lol!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about Loco or life in it.

Im at corey_griffith@hotmail.com
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 02:58 PM
 
3,724 posts, read 8,810,306 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Griffith View Post
Kari

Loco was my hometown for about 15 years on and off while I was growing up. I've walked every square inch of that town more times than I can count. You'll find that if you ever meet my brother Hank Griffith, who lives in the brick house two blocks from the town's only store, (If you're coming in from Ringling or Healdton, you'd make a right at the intersection of the store and the highway, and Hank's house is two blocks down on the left, with the trailer house a little ways down in the same lot) he can build or fix just about anything. Feel free to tell him I sent you to him. He's a nice fellow who lives alone with his two boys. They go to school in Velma-Alma, btw. Loco, as you know, has no school.

I think that the oddest thing you'll find about Loco is the fact that, although there are fewer than a hundred people living there now, there are 7, count 'em, SEVEN churches. Welcome to Loco. Lol!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about Loco or life in it.

Im at corey_griffith@hotmail.com
Thanks for the description.

The Great Move has been targeted to Holdenville, I sent you a DM explaining some of it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,884 posts, read 35,368,234 times
Reputation: 5652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Griffith View Post
Kari

Loco was my hometown for about 15 years on and off while I was growing up. I've walked every square inch of that town more times than I can count. You'll find that if you ever meet my brother Hank Griffith, who lives in the brick house two blocks from the town's only store, (If you're coming in from Ringling or Healdton, you'd make a right at the intersection of the store and the highway, and Hank's house is two blocks down on the left, with the trailer house a little ways down in the same lot) he can build or fix just about anything. Feel free to tell him I sent you to him. He's a nice fellow who lives alone with his two boys. They go to school in Velma-Alma, btw. Loco, as you know, has no school.

I think that the oddest thing you'll find about Loco is the fact that, although there are fewer than a hundred people living there now, there are 7, count 'em, SEVEN churches. Welcome to Loco. Lol!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions about Loco or life in it.

Im at corey_griffith@hotmail.com
You sir, are a fine person. Karibear, I think you may have just found your first kindred spirit in Loco.. I know if I lived in the area, I would find a way to help you out, for sure. You'll be just fine. Don't worry one bit. If you ever do have any problems, just get online here and yell for help, seriously. But, I don't think you'll need to.

My best to you Karibear. I think you'll love it in Loco.

Good thoughts..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
 
3,724 posts, read 8,810,306 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You sir, are a fine person. Karibear, I think you may have just found your first kindred spirit in Loco.. I know if I lived in the area, I would find a way to help you out, for sure. You'll be just fine. Don't worry one bit. If you ever do have any problems, just get online here and yell for help, seriously. But, I don't think you'll need to.

My best to you Karibear. I think you'll love it in Loco.

Good thoughts..
I would have, except for a jerk of a realtor. That's why I switched to Holdenville. I still like the place by Loco, I just don't want to deal with that guy ever again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,884 posts, read 35,368,234 times
Reputation: 5652
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I would have, except for a jerk of a realtor. That's why I switched to Holdenville. I still like the place by Loco, I just don't want to deal with that guy ever again.
Sorry that I misread. Holdenville is MY neck of the woods. You'll love it there, I'm sure. And, you'll have peggydavis and redbird as neighbors; you'll be taken care of if they have anything to say about it. They are two of the very best people you could ever find, and I mean that sincerely. I'm sure as you get to know others in the area, you won't have a worry; not a single worry at all.

People in Oklahoma are different than in most places. They can call us backward all they want. To me, it's a badge of honor. Backward only to mean that we care about our neighbors..

Heck, if you get in some kind of deep jam, I'll even be glad to drive up and help out in some way or fashion. I really would Karibear.

But you will be just fine. Of that, I am sure.

You're a strong woman; much stronger than most men that I know. You've got the right stuff to persevere, you really do.

Take care and welcome to Oklahoma! Think positive because you will just love it there; I have a good feeling about it..

-Synopsis
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top